This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Knocking Characteristics of an SI-HCCI Engine by Using In-Cylinder Visualization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 08, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-cylinder visualization of the entire bore area at an identical frame rate was used to investigate knocking conditions under spark ignition (SI) combustion and under Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion in the same test engine. A frequency analysis was also conducted on the measured pressure signals. The results revealed that a combustion regime accompanied by strong pressure oscillations occurred in both the SI and HCCI modes, which was presumably caused by rapid autoignition with attendant brilliant light emission that took place near the cylinder wall. It was found that the knocking timing was the dominant factor of this combustion regime accompanied by cylinder pressure oscillations in both the SI and HCCI combustion modes.
CitationTakeda, K., Takashi, S., Yoshida, Y., Lin, Z. et al., "A Study on the Knocking Characteristics of an SI-HCCI Engine by Using In-Cylinder Visualization," SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0005, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0005.
- Zhao, H. (Editor), HCCI and CAI engines for the automotive industry, Woodhead Publishing and CRC Press 2007, 524pp.
- Iijima, A., Ito, N., Shimada, T., Yamada, M. et al., "A Study of HCCI Knocking Accompanied by Pressure Oscillations Based on Visualization of the Entire Bore Area," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(4):1863-1874, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2664.
- Iijima, A., Yoshida, Y., Rin, C., Shimada, T., Yamada, M., Tanabe, M., Shoji, H., A Study of Knocking Phenomena in an SI Engine Using an Optically Accessible Engine, Preprints of the 26th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium, (2015), (in Japanese).
- Andreae, M., Cheng, W., Kenney, T., and Yang, J., "On HCCI Engine Knock," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1858, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1858.
- Draper, C. S., Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 219-226 (1938).
- Heywood, J. B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw Hill, (1988).
- Iijima, A., Itoh N., Terashima, A., Suyama, K., Tanabe, M., Yoshida, K. and Shoji, H., A Study of Gasoline HCCI Combustion Accompanied by Pressure Oscillations based on Flame Visualization in the Entire Bore Area, JSAE Transactions, Vol. 45. No. 1, pp. 49-54. 2014, (in Japanese)