This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Integrated Test Suite for Verification and Validation of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The testing of vision sensor-based Advanced Driver Assistance (ADA) systems and Electronic Control Units (ECUs) is quickly becoming a major requirement in the automotive industry. ADA ECU development teams require a verification and validation (V&V) infrastructure early in the development cycle, and traditional approaches are not suitable for this purpose. This paper proposes the design of an integrated test suite for the functional and real-time testing of ADA algorithms and ECUs. The proposed test suite consists of a hardware bridge built using a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), a Universal Serial Bus (USB) 3.0 interface, and a software application running on the Personal Computer (PC). By using an FPGA to build the hardware bridge, we get a compact, real-time, and reconfigurable platform to support the desired test requirements. The USB3.0 interface is specifically proposed to support the high data rates evident in ADA systems based on multiple vision sensor and sensor fusion technologies. The PC-based software application has a modular, extensible, and scalable architecture to support current and future test requirements, as well as several features that improve the end user's productivity. The proposed test suite can be used for: (a) acquisition and storage of sensor data (recording mode), (b) visualization of stored sensor data (replay mode), (c) offline evaluation and improvement of ADA algorithms (functional test mode), (d) online testing of advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) ECUs (real-time test mode). The major contribution of this paper is the design proposal for supporting the real-time test mode for laboratory testing of ADA ECUs, and it concludes with a qualitative discussion of potential enhancements.
CitationKirtany, S., Kaul, V., Rai, S., Saini, V. et al., "An Integrated Test Suite for Verification and Validation of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0216, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0216.
- Phillpe, J., “Road Safety Vademecum: Road safety trends, statistics and challenges in the EU 2010-2013”, presented at the 24th ESV Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 8-11, 2015.
- Beuse, N., “Government Status Report for United States”, presented at the 24th ESV Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 8-11, 2015.
- Kubota, H., “Government Status Report of Japan”, presented at the 24th ESV Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 8-11, 2015.
- Hogan, R., and Terrell, M., “Government Status Report for Australia”, presented at the 24th ESV Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 8-11, 2015.
- Shin, H., “Korea Government Status Report”, presented at the 24th ESV Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 8-11, 2015.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, “FMVSS No. 111: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Rear Visibility,” http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/FMVSS-111_Rear_Visibility_Final_Rule.pdf, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Ratingen, M., and Williams, A., "An Update on the Euro NCAP Safety Ratings Program", Airbag 12th International Symposium & Exhibition on Sophisticated Car Occupant Safety Systems, Karlsruhe, Germany, Dec. 8-11, 2014.
- Velez, G., and Otaegui, O., "Embedded Platforms for Computer Vision-based Advanced Driver Assistance Systems: a Survey." arXiv preprint arXiv:1504.07442 (2015).
- Kalomiros, J. A., and Lygouras, J., "Design and evaluation of a hardware/software FPGA-based system for fast image processing." Microprocessors & Microsystems 32, no. 2 (2008): 95-106.
- Gehrig, S., Eberli, F., and Meyer, T., "A real-time low-power stereo vision engine using semi-global matching." In Computer Vision Systems, pp. 134-143. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2009.
- Skruch, P., Dlugosz, R., Kogut, K., Markiewicz, P. et al., "The Simulation Strategy and Its Realization in the Development Process of Active Safety and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1401, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1401.
- Bensrhair, A., Bertozzi, M., Broggi, A., Miche, P. et al., "A cooperative approach to vision-based vehicle detection." Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2001. Proceedings. 2001 IEEE, pp. 207-212. IEEE, 2001.
- Díaz, J., Ros, E., Pelayo, F., Ortigosa, M., et al., "FPGA-based real-time optical-flow system." Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, IEEE Transactions on 16, no. 2 (2006): 274-279.
- dSPACE GmbH, “HIL Simulation Systems,” https://www.dspace.com/en/inc/home/products/systems/ecutest.cfm, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Vector Informatik GmbH, “VT System - Hardware for the Testing ECUs,” http://vector.com/vi_vt-system_en.html, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Vector Informatik GmbH, “CANape Option Driver Assistance,” http://vector.com/pi_canape.driverassistance_en, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Vector Informatik GmbH, “Developing multisensor applications efficiently - vADASdeveloper,” http://vector.com/vi_vadasdeveloper_en.html, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Saluja, S., Agrawal, K., KSivasankaran, K., Bandlamudi, L. et al., "Real Time Vehicular Camera Vision Acquisition System Using Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA)," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1340, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1340.
- USB Implementers Forum, Inc., “Universal Serial Bus Revision 3.1 Specification,” http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_31_102015.zip, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Robert Bosch GmbH, “CAN Specification 2.0,” http://www.bosch-semiconductors.de/media/pdf_1/canliteratur/can2spec.pdf, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. “Application Note AN991/D Rev.1, 1/2002 Using the Serial Peripheral Interface to Communicate Between Multiple Microcomputers,” http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN991.pdf, accessed Oct. 2015.
- Micron Technology, Inc., “Micron Technology, Inc. - MT47H32M16NF-25E”, http://www.micron.com/∼/media/documents/products/data-sheet/dram/ddr2/512mbddr2.pdf, accessed Oct. 2015.