This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Method for Preliminary Assessment about Lifetime Estimation of Electronic Components in Hybrid and EV Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increasing demand of Electric and Hybrid vehicles questions more about Reliability and Lifetime of electronic circuits associated with them. It is very important for a hardware circuit designer to evaluate if module will last the expected lifetime. This paper elaborates the methods and steps to find the expected lifetime of critical components; and to decide whether Hybrid Power Electronics Unit (PEU) will meet the OEM requirements on lifetime. Accelerated thermal stress method is used to determine the required High Temperature Operational Life (HTOL) hours for given thermal profile of Hybrid vehicle passenger car in driving (8,000Hrs), charging(30,000Hrs) and total lifetime (38000Hrs ≈ 15Years). Example calculation of required HTOL hours against expected lifetime for critical component from Hybrid ECUs is explained in this paper. Also inclusions and exclusions of this method in evaluating lifetime assessment are also discussed here.
Stepwise method explained in paper helps in taking preliminary judgment of components regarding lifetime and sort out thermally critical components so as to take corrective actions together with components manufacturer.
|Technical Paper||“Getting the Best Out of 12 Volts” The Development of an Advanced Electrical Architecture Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Single Shaft Parallel Hybrid Drive System|
|Journal Article||2-Drive Motor Control Unit for Electric Power Steering|
CitationShinde, P. and Kota, O., "Method for Preliminary Assessment about Lifetime Estimation of Electronic Components in Hybrid and EV Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0168, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0168.
- AEC Component Technical Committee qualification guidelines for harsh automotive environment http://www.aecouncil.com/AECDocuments.html
- Varde P. V. 313 Mar Apr. 2010 Physics-of-Failure Based Approach for Predicting Life and Reliability of Electronics Components http://www.barc.gov.in/publications/nl/2010/2010030406.pdf
- A Probabilistic Approach for Reliability and Life Prediction of Electronics in Drilling and Evaluation Tools https://www.phmsociety.org/sites/phmsociety.org/files/phm_submission/2014/phmc_14_054.pdf
- Johnson R. Wayne Evans John L. , Jacobsen Peter , Thompson James R. (Rick) , and Christopher Mark The Changing Automotive Environment: High-Temperature Electronics http://www.eng.auburn.edu/apl/files/johnson.pdf
- Texas Instruments, Amplifiers Op Amps; Worst-case design of op amp circuits http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt120/slyt120.pdf
- Valentin con Tils Design Requirements for Automotive Reliability http://www-g.eng.cam.ac.uk/robuspic/pub_present/ESSDERC06/6-ROBUSPIC-Workshop-ESSDERC06-VVonTils.pdf
- Kentved Anders B. Delta, SPM-179 http://spm-erfa.dk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/SPM-179-Acceleration-factors-and-accelerated-life-testing.pdf
- Gusciora , R.H. Ultimate Technol. Corp. Victor, NY USA Reliability and Maintainability Symposium 1998 Proceedings, Annual; The use of HALT to improve computer reliability for point-of-sale equipment http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=653597&tag=1
- Welles J.M. Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, Development of simplified production and use model to investigate product lifetime determining factors 12 06 2014 https://static.tue.nl/uploads/media/2014_MN420770_Welles_JM_BEP_verslag.pdf
- Bayle Franck , Mettas Adamantios Temperature Acceleration Models in Reliability Predictions:Justification & Improvements http://www.reliasoft.com/pubs/2010_RAMS_temperature_acceleration_models.pdf
- Bosch Automotive electronics; Tutorial for lifetime requirements and physical testing of Automotive electronics control units http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/RTPGE/public/july12/hoganmuller_01a_0712.pdf
- International standard ISO 7637-2 Road vehicles - Electrical disturbances and Electrical transients Second edition http://www.smd.ru/upload/medialibrary/a3d/iso_7637_2.pdf
- Murata , H. U. Component Business Headquarters, Reliability of electronic components http://www.murata.com/en-global/products/emiconfun/special/2012/04/16/en-20120416-p1
- Sirkin Jessica February 22 2013 Fraunhofer’s Photovoltaic Durability Initiative Reduces Solar Investment Risks http://www.cleantechnotes.org/2013/02/22/fraunhofers-photovoltaic-durability-initiative-reducing-investment-risks/
- Modified Coffin-Manson
- Freescale, Equation for AF Calculations http://www.freescale.com/files/archives/doc/rel_qual_info/FPCREPORT.pdf
- Temperature Cycling Testing: Coffin-Manson Equation http://www.desolutions.com/blog/2014/10/temperature-cycling-testing-coffin-manson-equation/
- EMPF, about the solder joint reliability in ball grid arrays (BGA) and TC http://www.empf.org/empfasis/oct03/helpline703.htm