This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cost and Weight Efficient Differential Housing for Off-Road Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Differential in Gear Box play vital role in Tractors for assisting it in turning and also to take straight path. Light weight machine always have advantage in terms of fuel economy and performance. Weight optimized rotating part have additional benefits of saving power loss, against stationary dead weight. Differential Housing is such a part, which rotates during the vehicle motion and torque transmission. 
This paper describes a method by which weight of the Differential Housing is optimized. In this particular body of work, additional constraints of avoiding any change in existing cold forged parts like Bevel Gear & Pinion. This also have additional benefit of enhanced flow of Oil inside Differential Housing for better lubrication of Bevel Gears and Pinion.
This resulted in weight saving of Differential Housing and finally fuel economy of Tractor.
CitationMohan, B. and Redkar, D., "Cost and Weight Efficient Differential Housing for Off-Road Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0133, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0133.
- Schaeffler Lightweight Differentials Biermann Thorsten , Smetana Tomas Dr. , Hoehn Bernd Robert Prof. Dr. , Kurth Franz Schaeffler SYMPOSIUM 2010_06_en.pdf
- Parts Catalogue 7520_2WD_4WD Mahindra & Mahindra
- Principles of Metal Casting Heine Richard W , Loper Carl R , Rosenthal Philip C 2003 Tata McGraw-Hill Publication
- Casting Design and Performance ASTM International 2009
- Design of Machine Elements Bhandari V B 2002
- Practical Finite Element Analysis Gokhale Nitin S Finite to Infinite 2008
- Fatigue Analysis for Axle Differential Case Sreedhar S , Maria D. , Guo D. 2006 SAE International
- Duty Cycle Fatigue Simulation for Differential Caseing Yadav Vivek , Naidu Suresh 2012 SAE International
- Casting Design Handbook ASTM International 1962
- Mechanical Engineering Design (In SI units) Shigley Joseph E. , Mischke Charles R. Sixth Tata McGraw-Hill Publication 2003
- IS: 1865- (1991) Iron castings with Spheroidal or nodular graphite