This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimizing and Validating the Engine Performance and Emission Parameters on Engine Dynamometer through 1D Simulation of a Multi-Cylinder CNG Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Environmental pollution has proven to be a big threat to our eco-system and pollution from automobiles using conventional fuels is a major contributor to this. Alternative fuels are the only immediate option that can help us counter the ever rising environmental pollution. In today’s date we cannot directly replace an IC engine, so the most efficient option available is using a fuel that can work with the IC engines other than gasoline and diesel. CNG proves to be the most promising fuel.
A diesel engine converted to stoichiometric CNG engine was used for optimization. The paper deals with the improvement of engine power from 50HP to 60HP and up-gradation of the emission from BS-III to BS-IV norms of a multi-cylinder naturally aspirated engine. This was achieved by varying the compression ratio, valve-lift profile, intake plenum volume, runner length, spark-advance timing, fuel injection location, exhaust pipe length and catalytic converter selection. The CNG-engine was tested on the engine dynamometer, parallel a simulation model was developed on GT-power which was in sync with the actual engine data. Based on the simulation and engine performance the, power, torque, BSFC were found in the range, well with the experiments from the real engine. A three-way catalytic converter was also modelled on GT-power, where the PGM loading, PGM ratio, CPSI etc. was optimized to counter the emissions from the engine and meet the emission norms.
CitationJadhav, V., Kanchan, S., Thipse, S., Kavathekar, K. et al., "Optimizing and Validating the Engine Performance and Emission Parameters on Engine Dynamometer through 1D Simulation of a Multi-Cylinder CNG Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0102, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0102.
- Semin et. al. A technical review of compressed natural gas as an alternative fuel for internal combustion engines American Journal of Engineering And applied science 2008 302 311
- Maji , S. , Ranjan , R. , and Sharma , P. Comparison of Emissions and Fuel Consumption From CNG and Gasoline Fueled Vehicles - Effect of Ignition Timing SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1432 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1432
- Zheng J , Wang J-H , Wang B , and Huang Z-H Effect of the compression ratio on the performance and combustion of a natural-gas direct-injection engine State Key Laboratory of Multiphase Flow in Power Engineering, School of Energy and Power Engineering Xi’an Jiaotong University Xi’an, People’s Republic of China
- Shinde , B. , Adsure , S. , Katkar , S. , and Dhoble , A. Development of BS-III Open Loop CNG Engine for a Mini- truck SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0037 2009 10.4271/2009-26-0037
- Aslam M.U. , Masjuki H.H. et. al. An experimental investigation of CNG as an alternative fuel for retrofitted gasoline engine science direct 2006 717 724
- Dasappa S On the estimation of power from a diesel engine converted for natural gas application- A simple analysis Indian institute of Science Bangalore, India
- Eriksson , L. Spark advance for optimal efficiency SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0548 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0548
- Wahiduzzaman , S. , Tang , W. , Wenzel , S. , and Leonard , A. Modeling of Integrated Aftertreatment Systems: A Highly Configurable System Level Approach SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4127 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4127
- Wirojsakunchai , E. , Aroonsrisopon , T. , Wannatong , K. , and Akarapanjavit , N. A Simulation Study of an Aftertreatment System Level Model for Diesel Dual Fuel (DDF) Engine Emission Control SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1966 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1966
- Pedlow , A. , McCullough , G. , Goguet , A. , and Hansen , K. Optimization of Kinetic Parameters for an Aftertreatment Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2814 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2814
- R Kartha , R. , Jamadar , M. , Kavathekar , K. , Rairikar , S. et al. Predicting and Optimizing CNG Vehicle Performance on Chassis Dynamometer through 1D Simulation by using Vehicle Performance Algorithm SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0059 2015 10.4271/2015-26-0059
- Kim , J. , Kim , E. , Han , J. , and Han , H. Pt/Pd Bimetallic Catalyst with Improved Activity and Durability for Lean-Burn CNG Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 3 651 656 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2591
- Müller-Haas , K. and Rice , M. Innovative Metallic Substrates for Exhaust Emission Challenges for Gasoline and Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3851 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3851
- Kumar , S. and Heck , R. A New Approach to OBDII Monitoring of Catalyst Performance Using Dual Oxygen Sensors SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0863 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0863
- Mahle Ernest Piston Fundamentals