This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Age-Specific Injury Risk Curves for Distributed, Anterior Thoracic Loading of Various Sizes of Adults Based on Sternal Deflections
Published November 07, 2016 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Injury Risk Curves are developed from cadaver data for sternal deflections produced by anterior, distributed chest loads for a 25, 45, 55, 65 and 75 year-old Small Female, Mid-Size Male and Large Male based on the variations of bone strengths with age. These curves show that the risk of AIS ≥ 3 thoracic injury increases with the age of the person. This observation is consistent with NASS data of frontal accidents which shows that older unbelted drivers have a higher risk of AIS ≥ 3 chest injury than younger drivers.
CitationMertz, H., Prasad, P., Dalmotas, D., and Irwin, A., "Age-Specific Injury Risk Curves for Distributed, Anterior Thoracic Loading of Various Sizes of Adults Based on Sternal Deflections," SAE Technical Paper 2016-22-0001, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-22-0001.
- Kroell , C.K. , Schneider , D.C. and Nahum , A.M. 1972 Impact Tolerance and Response of Human Thorax Proc. 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference 84 134 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Lipson , C. and Sheth , N.J. 1973 Statistical Design and Analysis of Engineering Experiments McGraw-Hill, NY
- Mertz , H.J. and Weber , D.A. 1982 Interpretations of the Impact Responses of a 3-Year Old Child Dummy Relative to Child Injury Potential Proc. 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 368 376 Kyoto, Japan
- Mertz , H.J. , Irwin , A.L. , Melvin , J.W. , Stalnaker , R.L. and Beebe , M.S. 1989 Size, Weight and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummies Automotive Frontal Impacts 133 144 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Mertz , H.J. , Prasad , P. and Nusholtz , G. 1996 Head Injury Risk Assessment for Forehead Impacts Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Mertz , H.J. , Prasad , P. and Irwin , A.L. 1997 Injury Risk Curves for Children and Adults in Frontal and Rear Collisions Proc. 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference 13 30 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Mertz , H.J. , Irwin , A.L. and Prasad , P. 2003 Biomechanical and Scaling Bases for Frontal and Side Impact Injury Assessment Reference Values Stapp Car Crash Journal 47 155 188
- Mertz , H.J. and Dalmotas , D.J. 2007 Effects of Shoulder Belt Limit Forces on Adult Thoracic Protection in Frontal Collisions Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 361 380
- Mertz , H.J. and Irwin , A.L. 2015 Anthropomorphic Test Devices and Injury Risk Assessments Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Protection 3rd Yoganandan N. , Nahum A.M. and Melvin J.W. 83 112 Springer, NY
- Nakahira , Y. , Furukawa , K. , Niimi , H. , Ishihara , T. , Miki , K. and Matsuoka , F. 2000 A Combined Evaluation Method and Modified Maximum Likelihood Method for Injury Risk Curves Proc. 2000 IRCOBI Conference Montpellier, France
- Neathery , R.F. , Kroell , C.K. and Mertz , H.J. 1975 Prediction of Thoracic Injury from Dummy Responses Proc. 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference 285 316 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Phen , R.L. , Dowdy , M.W. , Ebbeler , D.H. , Kim. E.H. , Moore , N.R. and VanZandt , T.R. 1998 Advanced Air Bag Technology Assessment, JPL Report 98-3 Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena,CA
- Prasad , P. and Mertz , H.J 1985 The Position of the United States Delegation to ISO Working Group 6 on the Use of HIC in the Automotive Environment Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Skeels , P.C. 1966 The General Motors Energy Absorbing Steering Column Proc. 10th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 13 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Yamada , H. 1970 Strength of Biological Materials Williams & Wilkins Baltimore MD