This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development, Validation and ECM Embedment of a Physics-Based SCR on Filter Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
SCR on Filter (SCRoF) is an efficient and compact NOX and PM reduction technology already used in series production for light-duty applications. The technology is now finding its way into the medium duty and heavy duty market. One of the key challenges for successful application is the robustness to real world variations. The solution to this challenge can be found by using model-based control algorithms, utilizing state estimation by physics-based catalyst models.
This paper focuses on the development, validation and real time implementation of a physics-based control oriented SCRoF model. An overview of the developed model will be presented, together with a brief description of the model parameter identification and validation process using engine test bench measurement data. The model parameters are identified following a streamlined approach, focusing on decoupling the effects of deNOx and soot phenomena. Model validation results will be shown demonstrating good model performance for both steady state and transient conditions.
Following the validation of the off-line SCRoF model, the model was implemented on a dSPACE platform to demonstrate its real-time capability. The implementation on the dSPACE system is verified by comparing the online model signal outputs to the offline model. Further on, the model is compiled into object code and will be integrated into the ECM. The embedded model is characterized by a low memory footprint and a fast turnaround time.
|Technical Paper||Diffusion Supporting Passive Filter Regeneration- A Modeling Contribution on Coated Filters|
|Technical Paper||Regeneration of Precious Metals in Various Designed Intelligent Perovskite Catalysts|
|Technical Paper||How Much ZDP is Enough?|
CitationRamesh, S., Nieuwenhof, R., Seykens, X., Srinivasan, S. et al., "Development, Validation and ECM Embedment of a Physics-Based SCR on Filter Model," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8075, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8075.
- Yang , Y. , Cho , G. , and Rutland , C. Model Based Study of DeNOx Characteristics for Integrated DPF/SCR System over Cu-Zeolite SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1060 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1060
- Tang , W. , Youngren , D. , Maria , Santa M. , and Kumar , S. On-Engine Investigation of SCR on Filters (SCRoF) for HDD Passive Applications SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 862 872 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1066
- Tronconi , E. et al. Interaction of NO x Reduction and Soot Oxidation in a DPF with Cu-Zeolite SCR Coating Emission Control Science and Technology 1.2 2015 134 151
- Johansen , K. , Bentzer , H. , Kustov , A. , Larsen , K. et al. Integration of Vanadium and Zeolite Type SCR Functionality into DPF in Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems - Advantages and Challenges SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1523 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1523
- Colombo , M. , Koltsakis , G. , and Koutoufaris , I. A Modeling Study of Soot and De-NOx Reaction SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1298 10.4271/2012-01-1298
- Park , S. Y. et al. Development and validation of a model for wall-flow type selective catalytic reduction system Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 225.12 2011 1641 1659
- Park , Soo-Youl et al. A model development for evaluating soot-NO x interactions in a blended 2-way diesel particulate filter/selective catalytic reduction Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 51.48 2012 15582 15592
- Bissett , Edward J. Mathematical model of the thermal regeneration of a wall-flow monolith diesel particulate filter Chemical Engineering Science 39.7 1984 1233 1244
- Konstandopoulos , A. , Kostoglou , M. , Skaperdas , E. , Papaioannou , E. et al. Fundamental Studies of Diesel Particulate Filters: Transient Loading, Regeneration and Aging SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1016 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1016
- Lousie , " Olsson , Louise , Hanna Sjövall , and Blint Richard J. A kinetic model for ammonia selective catalytic reduction over Cu-ZSM-5 Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 81.3 2008 203 217
- Cloudt , R. , Saenen , J. , Eijnden , E. , and Rojer , C. Virtual Exhaust Line for Model-based Diesel Aftertreatment Development SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0888 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0888
- Huynh , C. , Johnson , J. , Yang , S. , Bagley , S. et al. A One-Dimensional Computational Model for Studying the Filtration and Regeneration Characteristics of a Catalyzed Wall-Flow Diesel Particulate Filter SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0841 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0841