This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Confidence in Freight Efficiency Technologies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This report provides an overview of recent technical solution adoption rates by fleets from detailed fleet surveys. Manufacturers’ contributions in terms of technology development, cost reduction, durability and refinement will also be discussed. OEM vehicle integration and product line offerings (standard, optional, and post-production upfits) are shared. All of this background will set the stage for a review of the proposed Greenhouse Gas Phase 2 regulations, the technologies expected to be utilized to meet the targets, and the hurdles the industry must successfully clear for profitable fleet use in commercial vehicle freight transportation. Fuel efficiency has always been important to fleets and as fuel costs have risen, a plethora of fuel efficient technologies have emerged. The industry also cares about sustainability and emissions reductions and now Greenhouse Gas regulations exist to further encourage development, integration and adoption of such technologies. Recent history has shown a multitude of efficiency pathways with varying degrees of success including SCR after-treatment, 6×2 axles, electronically-controlled transmissions, trailer fairings, low rolling resistance and wide-base tires, idle reduction, alternative fuels and many more. Lab and fleet testing are challenging with a wide variety of applications, configurations and test methods. Real world results don’t always match expectations as some exceed, while others disappoint.
|Technical Paper||Challenges and Opportunities in Adoption of Hybrid Technologies in Medium and Heavy Duty Applications|
|Technical Paper||MAN Methanol Engines For Use In Buses|
|Technical Paper||Driving Cycle for Buses in Delhi City|
CitationSchaller, D. and Roeth, M., "Confidence in Freight Efficiency Technologies," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8014, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8014.
- EIA, “Weekly Diesel Fuel Prices,” http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_w.htm, accessed June 7, 2016.
- Ford Torrey W., IV & Murray Dan, “An Analysis of the Operational Costs of Trucking: 2015 Update,” ATRI, http://atri-online.org/2015/09/29/an-analysis-of-the-operational-costs-of-trucking-2015-update/, accessed June 24, 2016
- Baxter John, “Corrupting a Governor,” Overdrive, http://www.overdriveonline.com/corrupting-a-governor/, May 29, 2007.
- Menig Paul and Coverdill Cary, Transportation Recorders on Commercial Vehicles, NHTSA, www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NRD/Articles/EDR/PDF/Research/Transportation_Recorders_on_Commercial_Vehicles.pdf, accessed July 10, 2016.
- “N14-435E Engine Performance Curve,” Cummins, August 12, 1993, https://gce.cummins.com/gce_hist/curves/database/curves/cvr1xxxx/fr1822.pdf
- Schaller, et.al., “Confidence Report: Programmable Engine Parameters,” NACFE, 2015, http://www.truckingefficiency.org/powertrain/electronic-engine-parameters
- Brown Andrew Jr, et.al, “Technologies and Approaches to Reducing the Fuel Consumption of Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” National Academy of Sciences, 2010, http://www.nap.edu/download/12845
- “Speed Limit Laws,” Governors Highway Safety Association, http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/speedlimit_laws.html, accessed June 2016.
- “History of Innovation,” Freightliner, 2016, https://www.freightlinertrucks.com/Timeline/#the_1980s, accessed July 11, 2016
- “SmartWay Timeline,” EPA, https://www3.epa.gov/smartway/about/timeline.htm, accessed July 10, 2016.
- Federal Register Volume 80 Number 133, “Proposed Rulemaking Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles-Phase 2,” US EPA, US DOT & NHTSA, July 13, 2015, https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-07-13/pdf/2015-15500.pdf
- “Proposed Rulemaking for Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles-Phase 2 Draft Regulatory Impact Analysis,” EPA EPA-420-D-15-900 June 2015, https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/climate/documents/420d15900.pdf
- “United States Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations for Model Year 2018-2027 Heavy-Duty Vehicles, Engines and Trailers,” ICCT, 2015, http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT-update_US-HDV-Ph2-NPRM_jun2015_v2.pdf
- “Barriers to the Increased Adoption of Fuel Efficiency Technologies in the North American On-Road Freight Sector,” ICCT, 2013, http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT-NACFE-CSS_Barriers_Report_Final_20130722.pdf
- Rogers Everett M., Diffusion of Innovations, 1962, Free Press a division of MacMillan Publishing Company, page 150.
- “21st Century Truck Partnership Roadmap and Technical White Papers,” US Department of Energy, 2013, http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/02/f8/21ctp_roadmap_white_papers_2013.pdf
- Mihelic Rick, et.al., “Confidence Report: Trailer Aerodynamics,” NACFE, 2016, http://truckingefficiency.org/trailer-aerodynamics
- Schaller David, et.al., “Confidence Report: Idle Reduction,” NACFE, 2015, http://truckingefficiency.org/idle-reduction
- “Customer Application Engineering,” Western Star - Daimler Trucks North America, July 9, 2016, http://www.forconstructionpros.com/company/10075219/western-star-daimler-trucks-north-america
- Fontaine Modification Centers, http://www.fontainemodification.com/#!fleet-services/chr4, accessed July 9, 2016.
- Lee Tessa, et.al., “2015Annual Fleet Fuel Study,” NACFE, 2015, http://nacfe.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NACFE-2015-Annual-Fleet-Fuel-Study-Report-050115.pdf
- Nolan Kelsey, “How C.R. England Optimizes Fuel Efficiency,” Leading Fleets, July 9, 2016, http://www.leadingfleets.com/470
- Lockridge Evan, “ATDynamics Debuts Automatic TrailerTail Deployment System,” Heavy Duty Trucking, October 20, 2013, http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/drivers/product/detail/2013/10/atdynamics-debuts-automatic-trailertail-deploymen.aspx
- TA Engineering, Inc., “TRUCK5.1: Heavy Vehicle Market Penetration Model Documentation,” July 2012, http://www.npc.org/reports/HDV/TRUCK5.1_Model_Documentation-final.pdf
- Halonen Andrew, et.al., “Confidence Report: Lightweighting,” NACFE, 2015, http://truckingefficiency.org/tractor-aerodynamics/weight-reduction-tractors
- Fehring John, et.al., “Confidence Findings on the Potential of6×2 Axles”, NACFE, 2013; http://truckingefficiency.org/chassis/6×2-axles
- Park Jim, “Maintaining APUs,” Heavy Duty Trucking, November 2009, http://www.truckinginfo.com/article/story/2009/11/maintaining-apus.aspx
- Schaller David, et.al., “Confidence Report: Idle-Reduction Solutions,” NACFE, 2015, http://truckingefficiency.org/idle-reduction
- Calpin Patrick and Plaza-Jennings Esteban, “A Look Back At EPA’s Cost And Other Impact Projections For My 2004-2010 Heavy-Duty Truck Emissions Standards,” American Truck Dealers, February 2012, http://www.nadafrontpage.com/upload/wysiwyg/NADA-ATD-A%20Look%20Back%20at%20EPA%E2%80%99s%20Cost%20and%20other%20Impact%20Projections%20for%20MY%202004-2010%20Heavy-Duty%20Truck%20Emissions%20Standards.pdf
- Langer Therese, Khan Siddiq & Lutsey Nic, “American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy & International Council on Clean Transportation, , Stakeholder workshop report on tractor-trailer efficiency technology in the 2015-2030 timeframe, August 2014, http://aceee.org/files/pdf/conferences/workshop/heavy-duty/hdv-workshop-report.pdf
- Mihelic Rick, et.al., “Confidence Report: Determining Efficiency,” NACFE, 2016, http://truckingefficiency.org/whitepapers/determining-efficiency
- “Verified Technologies for SmartWay and Clean Diesel,” US Environmental Protection Agency, https://www.epa.gov/verified-diesel-tech, accessed July 9, 2016.
- “National Cooperative Freight Research Program Project 14 - Truck Drayage Practices,” The Tioga Group, University of Texas Center for Transportation Research and University of South Carolina, March 2, 2009, http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/archive/NotesDocs/NCFRP14_Task3LiteratureReview.pdf
- Baxter John, “Confidence Report, Downspeeding,” NACFE 2015, http://www.truckingefficiency.org/powertrain/downspeeding
- “Annual Vehicle Distance Traveled in Miles and Related Data -2014,” FHWA, 2014, http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/statistics/2014/xls/vm1.xlsx
- “Confidence Ratings,” Trucking Efficiency, http://truckingefficiency.org/confidence-ratings, accessed July 9, 2016.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Recommended Environmental Practices for Electronic Equipment Design in Heavy-Duty Vehicle Applications,” SAE Standard J1455, Rev. Aug. 2012.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Fuel Consumption Test Procedure Type II,” SAE Standard J1321, Rev. Feb. 2012.
- “Improving Vehicle Fleet, Activity, and Emissions Data for On-Road Mobile Sources Emissions Inventories,” US DOT Federal Highway Administration, http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/air_quality/conformity/research/improving_data/taqs04.cfm, accessed on July 10, 2016.
- Wilkins Carly, “Infographic: How SuperTruck is Making Heavy Duty Vehicles More Efficient”, US Department of Energy, March 1, 2016, http://energy.gove/articles/infographic-how-supertruck-making-heavy-duty-vehicles-more-efficient, accessed on July 9, 2016.
- “How Automated Transmissions Keep Changing Trucking,” RoadKing July 1, 2013, http://www.roadking.com/trucks/major-shift/
- Koeberlein David, “Cummins SuperTruck Program Technology and System Level Demonstration of Highly Efficient and Clean, Diesel Powered Class 8 Trucks”, US Department of Energy, 2014, http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f13/ace057_koeberlein_2013_o.pdf
- XStream GapGorilla, 2015, http://www.xstreamtrucking.com/, accessed July 13, 2016.
- US Department of Energy, On-Board Idle Reduction Equipment for Heavy Duty Trucks, http://www.afdc.energy.gov/conserve/idle_reduction_onboard.html, accessed on July 10, 2016.
- US Environmental Protection Agency, SmartWay Tractor and Trailer Logos, https://www3.epa.gov/smartway/forpartners/tractor-trailer-logo.htm, accessed on July 10, 2016
- NACFE Tractor Aero, 2016; Confidence Report: Tractor Aerodynamics, http://truckingefficiency.org/tractor-aerodynamics