This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Improvements in a Natural Gas Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine with 250 MPa Pilot Injection of Diesel Fuel as an Ignition Source
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The engine performance and the exhaust gas emissions in a dual fuel compression ignition engine with natural gas as the main fuel and a small quantity of pilot injection of diesel fuel with the ultra-high injection pressure of 250 MPa as an ignition source were investigated at 0.3 MPa and 0.8 MPa IMEP. With increasing injection pressure the unburned loss decreases and the thermal efficiency improves at both IMEP conditions. At the 0.3 MPa IMEP the THC and CO emissions are significantly reduced when maintaining the equivalence ratio of natural gas with decreasing the volumetric efficiency by intake gas throttling, but the NOx emissions increase and excessive intake gas throttling results in a decrease in the indicated thermal efficiency. Under the 250 MPa pilot injection condition simultaneous reductions in the NOx, THC, and CO emissions can be established with maintaining the equivalence ratio of natural gas by intake gas throttling. Two-stage split pilot injection of diesel fuel effectively reduces the maximum rate of pressure rise and the NOx emissions without deteriorations in the thermal efficiency or the THC and CO emissions at 0.3 MPa IMEP. At 0.8 MPa IMEP, lower intake oxygen concentrations with cooled EGR and a suitable equivalence ratio of natural gas, around 0.5, with supercharging are necessary to suppress the rapid combustion as well as to establish the simultaneous reduction in the NOx, THC, and CO emissions.
CitationOgawa, H., Shibata, G., Goto, J., and Jiang, L., "Performance Improvements in a Natural Gas Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine with 250 MPa Pilot Injection of Diesel Fuel as an Ignition Source," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2306, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2306.
- Ishiyama, T., Kang, J., Ozawa, Y., and Sako, T., "Improvement of Performance and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions by Pilot-Fuel-Injection Control in a Lean-Burning Natural-Gas Dual-Fuel Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(1):243-253, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1963.
- Tomita, E., Harada, Y., Kawahara, N., and Sakane, A., "Effect of EGR on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in Supercharged Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engine Ignited with Diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1832, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1832.
- Azimov, U., Tomita, E., and Kawahara, N., "Ignition, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Micro-pilot Ignited Dual-fuel Engine Operated under PREMIER Combustion Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1764, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1764.
- Azimov, U., Tomita, E., Kawahara, N., and Harada, Y., ”Premixed mixture ignition in the end-gas region (PREMIER) combustion in a natural gas dual-fuel engine operating range and exhaust emissions,” Int. J. Engine Res., 12(5): 484-497, 2011.
- Ogawa, H., Zhao, P., Kato, T., and Shibata, G., "Improvement of Combustion and Emissions in a Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine with Natural Gas as the Main Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0863, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0863.
- Splitter, D., Hanson, R., Kokjohn, S., Wissink, M. et al., “Injection Effects in Low Load RCCI Dual-Fuel Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0047, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-24-0047.
- Splitter, D., Reitz, R., and Hanson, R., "High Efficiency, Low Emissions RCCI Combustion by Use of a Fuel Additive," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):742-756, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2167.
- Kokjohn, S., Hanson, R., Splitter, D., Kaddatz, J. et al., "Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion in Light- and Heavy-Duty Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):360-374, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0357.
- Dahodwala, M., Joshi, S., Koehler, E., Franke, M. et al., "Experimental and Computational Analysis of Diesel-Natural Gas RCCI Combustion in Heavy-Duty Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0849, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0849.
- Jia, Z. and Denbratt, I., "Experimental Investigation of Natural Gas-Diesel Dual-Fuel RCCI in a Heavy-Duty Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):797-807, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0838.
- Kawasaki, K., Kubo, S., Yamane, K., and Kondo, C., "The Effect of the Induction of Nitrogen Oxides on Natural Gas HCCI Combustion," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(3):718-725, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2697.
- List, H., “Thermodynamik der Verbrenngskraft-maschinen,” 59, 1939.