This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Studies on n-Butanol/Gasoline Fuel Blends in Passenger Car for Performance and Emission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the current scenario of global emissions, growing demand for petroleum fuels and highly volatile crude prices, the current usage of petroleum fuel must be curbed to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and to reduce environmental pollution several alternative fuels are being explored. Butanol is one of the potential alternative fuels that can be used in IC engines in the same way of conventional fuels for reducing conventional fuels. An experimental study was conducted to establish the impact of n-butanol as a blending component for gasoline fuel in passenger car on chassis dynamometer. Commercial gasoline meeting Euro-IV fuel standards was used as the base fuel while n-butanol was used as the blending component in the ratio of 5, 10 & 20% by volume. The vehicle was tested on chassis dynamometer for fuel evaluation in respect of fuel economy, regulated and un-regulation emissions under standard driving cycle of NEDC. The results indicated that fuel economy decreased with 5% -20% n-butanol blend in range of 0.6 to 3% as compared to neat gasoline under transient condition. CO emissions increased with increase in blending ratio of n-butanol in gasoline under transient conditions whereas CO2 and NOx emissions decreased with increase in blending ratio of n-butanol in gasoline under NEDC driving cycle. Unregulated emissions such as formaldehyde and benzaldehyde decreased with increase of n-butanol in gasoline while acetaldehyde, acrolein, acetone, etc. increased. Higher blending ratios of n-butanol-gasoline were not able to be run on the vehicle with the existing setup due to misfiring/engine stalling. Overall, n-butanol can be considered as one of the promising alternative fuels for running the vehicles upto 10% and 20% without any modification of engine.
- Mrinmoy Kalita - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- M Muralidharan - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- M Subramanian - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- M Sithananthan - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Anil Yadav - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Vivekanand Kagdiyal - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Ajay Kumar Sehgal - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- R Suresh - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
CitationKalita, M., Muralidharan, M., Subramanian, M., Sithananthan, M. et al., "Experimental Studies on n-Butanol/Gasoline Fuel Blends in Passenger Car for Performance and Emission," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2264, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2264.
- Prospectus Biobutanol: The Next Big Biofuel, A Techno-Economic and Market Evaluation Nexant with Chemical Strategies January 2009
- Ethanol Internal Combustion Engines, Energy Technology Systems Analysis Programme, Technology Brief T06 June 2010
- Ugwoha , Ejikeme Impact of soil organic matter on groundwater contamination risks for ethanol and butanol blended gasoline PhD thesis University of Nottingham 2013
- Truman Semans , Andre de Fontaine Innovating through Alliance: A Case Study of the DuPont-BP Partnership on Biofuels White Paper - Pew Center on Global Climate Change September 2009
- Yasar A. Effects of Alcohol-Gasoline Blends on Exhaust and Noise Emissions in Small Scaled Generators Metalurgija 49 2010 4 335 338
- Wallner , T. , Miers. S.A. , McConnell , S.S. A Comparison of Ethanol and Butanol as Oxygenates Using a Direct-Injection, Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine 2008 ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference Chicago, Illinois
- Yang , J. , Yang , X. , Liu , J. , Han , Z. et al. Dyno Test Investigations of Gasoline Engine Fueled with Butanol-Gasoline Blends SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1891 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1891
- Williams , J. , Goodfellow , C. , Lance , D. , Ota , A. et al. Impact of Butanol and Other Bio-Components on the Thermal Efficiency of Prototype and Conventional Engines SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1908 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1908
- Dernotte J. , Mounaim-Rousselle C. , Halter F. , Seers P. Evaluation of Butanol-Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel-injection, Spark-Ignition Engine Oil and Gas Science and Technology 65 2010 2 345 351
- Giakoumis Evangelos G. , Rakopoulos Constantine D. , Dimaratos Athanasios M. et al Exhaust emissions with ethanol or n-butanol diesel fuel blends during transient operation: A review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 17 170 190 2013 10.1016/j.rser.2012.09.017
- Williams PR , Cushing CA , Sheehan PJ Data available for evaluating the risks and benefits of MTBE and ethanol as alternative fuel oxygenates Risk Anal 2003 23 1085 115
- Subramanian , M. , Setia , A. , Kanal , P. , Pal , N. et al. Effect of Alcohol Blended Fuels on the Emissions and Field Performance of Two-Stroke and Four-Stroke Engine Powered Two Wheelers SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-034 2005 10.4271/2005-26-034
- Lee Colyer Speight What is n-Butanol? http://www.greenbiologics.com/blog/what-is-n-butanol/
- Parmar Sucha S. , Elizabeth Heeb and Adam Davidson Measurement of Aldehydes Using DNPH Derivatization and Water Impinger Methods www.arb.ca.gov/ei/acrolein/sucha2.doc
- Merola Simona Silvia , Cinzia Tornatore , Adrian Irimescu et al Optical diagnostics of early flame development in a DISI (direct injection spark ignition) engine fueled with n-butanol and gasoline Energy 25 March 2016 10.1016/j.energy.2015.10.140
- Bayindir H , Yücesu HS , Aydin H The effects of k and on engine performance and exhaust emissions using ethanol-unleaded gasoline blends in an SI engine Energy Sources Part A: Recovery Utilization Environ Effects 2010 33 49 56
- Masum B.M. , Masjuki H.H. , Kalam M.A. et al Tailoring the key fuel properties using different alcohols (C2-C6) and their evaluation in gasoline engine Energy Conversion and Management 88 2014 382 390 10.1016/j.enconman.2014.08.050
- Ashraf E. Experimental study on emissions and performance of an internal combustion engine fueled with gasoline and gasoline/n-butanol blends Energy Convers Manage 2014 88 277 83
- Wallner , T. and Frazee , R. Study of Regulated and Non-Regulated Emissions from Combustion of Gasoline, Alcohol Fuels and their Blends in a DI-SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1571 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1571
- Muralidharan , M. , Kumar , N. , Kalita , M. , Sithananthan , M. et al. Experimental Studies on Butanol/Gasoline Fuel Blends in a Four Stroke Engine Powered Motorcycle SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1475 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1475
- Masum B. M. , Kalam M. A. , Masjuki H. H. et al Performance and emission analysis of a multi-cylinder gasoline engine operating at different alcohol-gasoline blends Royal Society of Chemistry, RSC Advances June 2014 10.1039/C4RA04580G
- Mack J. Hunter , Daniel Schuler , Butt Ryan H. et al Experimental investigation of butanol isomer combustion in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engines Applied Energy March 2016 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.12.105
- Liu , M. , He , B. , and Zhao , H. Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a HCCI Engine Fuelled with Different n-Butanol-Gasoline Blends SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2668 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2668
- Merola Simona Silvia , Cinzia Tornatore , Luca Marchitto et al Experimental investigations of butanol-gasoline blends effects on the combustion process in a SI engine International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering 2012 3 6 10.1186/2251-6832-3-6
- Wei-Dong Hsieh , Rong-Hong Chen , Tsung-Lin Wu et al Engine performance and pollutant emission of an SI engine using ethanol-gasoline blended fuels Atmospheric Environment 36 3 403 410 January 2002 10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00508-8
- Ceviz M.A , Yuksel F. Effects Of Ethanol-Unleaded Gasoline Blends On Cyclic Variability And Emissions In An Si Engine Applied Thermal Engineering 25 2005 917 925
- Sasi Kumar , Nayek M. , Kumar A. et al Aldehyde, Ketone and Methane Emissions from Motor Vehicle Exhaust: A Critical Review American Chemical Science Journal 1 1 1 27 2011
- Zhang , F. , Zhang , X. , Shuai , S. et al Unregulated Emissions and Combustion Characteristics of Low-Content Methanol-Gasoline Blended Fuels Energy and Fuels 24 1283 1292
- Wallington T. J. , Kaiser E. W. and Farrell J. T. Automotive fuels and internal combustion engines: a chemical perspective Chemical Society Reviews November 2005 10.1039/b410469m