Method of Producing Composite Powder EP648-Al2O3 for Selective Laser Melting Usage
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2117
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
The development of Additive Technologies (SLS/SLM, EBM, DMD) suggests the increase of range expansion of materials used. One of the most promising directions is products manufacturing from composite materials. The technology of composite micro-powders production on the basis of heat-resistant nickel alloy EP648 and Al2O3 is proposed. The aim of this research is to develop a method of producing composite micropowders for additive technology application. This method is based on modification of the metal micropowders surface by the second phase in a planetary mixer (mechanochemical synthesis).The obtained composite micropowders are compared with powders which are recommended for selective laser melting usage (produced by MTT Technology). The equipment used in the research: planetary mixer, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), optical granulomorphometer Occio 500nano.
CitationBaytimerov, R., Lykov, P., Sapozhnikov, S., Zherebtsov, D. et al., "Method of Producing Composite Powder EP648-Al2O3 for Selective Laser Melting Usage," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2117, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2117.
- Dadbakhsh, S., Hao, L., Jerrard, P.G.E. and Zhang, D.Z., "Experimental investigation on selective laser melting behavior and processing windows of in situ reacted Al/Fe2O3 powder mixture," Powder Technology 231: 112-121, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.powtec.2012.07.061.
- Davydova, A., Domashenkov, A., Sova, A., Movtchan, A. et al., "Selective laser melting of boron carbide particles coated by a cobalt-based metal layer," Journal of Materials Processing Technology229: 361-366, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2015.09.033.
- Ramesh,C.S., Srinivas,C.K., Channabasappa,B.H., "Abrasive wear behaviour of laser sintered iron-SiC composites," Wear267: 1777-1783, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.wear.2008.12.026.
- Gu, D. and Shen, Y., "Direct laser sintered WC-10Co/Cu nanocomposites," Applied Surface Science224: 3971-3978, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.apsusc.2007.12.028.
- Kuhnle, T. and Partes, K., "In-situ Formation of Titanium Boride and Titanium Carbide by Selective Laser Melting," Physics Procedia 39: 432-438, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.phpro.2012.10.058.
- Gu, D., Hagedorn, Y.C., Meiners, W., Wissenbach, K. et al., "NanocrystallineTiC reinforced Ti matrix bulk-form nanocomposites by Selective Laser Melting (SLM): Densification, growth mechanism and wear behavior," CompositesScienceandTechnology71: 1612-1620, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.compscitech.2011.07.010.
- Krakhmalev, P. and Yadroitsev, I., "Microstructure and properties of intermetallic composite coatings fabricated by selective laser melting of Ti-SiC powder mixtures," Intermetallics46: 147-155, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.intermet.2013.11.012.
- Gu, D., Wang, H., Dai, D., Yuan, P. et al., "Rapid fabrication of Al-based bulk-form nanocomposites with novel reinforcement and enhanced performance by selective laser melting," ScriptaMaterialia96: 25-28, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.scriptamat.2014.10.011.
- Dai D. and Gu D., "Tailoring surface quality through mass and momentum transfer modeling using a volume of fluid method in selective laser melting of TiC/AlSi10Mg powder," International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 88: 95-107, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2014.09.010.
- Attar, H., Lober, L., Funk, A., Calin, M. et al., "Mechanical behavior of porous commercially pure Ti and Ti-TiB composite materials manufactured by selective laser melting," Materials Science & Engineering A 625: 350-356, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.msea.2014.12.036.
- Gu, D., Fei, C. and Dai, D., "Selective Laser Melting Additive Manufacturing of Novel Aluminum Based Composites With Multiple Reinforcing Phases," Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering137: 1-11, 2015, doi:10.1115/1.4028925.
- Hong, C., Gu, D., Dai, D., Gasser, A. et al., "Laser metal deposition of TiC/lnconel 718 composites with tailored interfacial microstructures," Optics&LaserTechnology54: 98-109, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2013.05.011.
- Jia,Q. and Gu, D., "Selective laser melting additive manufacturing of TiC/Inconel 718 bulk-form nanocomposites: Densification, microstructure, and performance," Journal of Materials Research29(17): 1960-1969, 2014, doi:10.1557/jmr.2014.130.
- Hong, C., Gu, D., Dai, D., Alkhayat, M. et al., "Laser additive manufacturing of ultrafine TiC particle reinforced Inconel 625 based composite parts: Tailored microstructures and enhanced performance," Materials Science & Engineering A635: 118-128, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.msea.2015.03.043.
- Hong, C., Gu, D., Dai, D., Cao, S. et al., "High-temperature oxidation performance and its mechanism of TiC/Inconel 625 composites prepared by laser metal deposition additive manufacturing," Journal of Laser Applications27: S17005, 2015, doi:10.2351/1.4898647.
- Evgenov A.G., Rogalev A.M., Nerush S.V. and Mozalov I.S., "A study of properties of EP648 alloy manufactured by the selective laser sintering of metal powders," Trudy VIAM2: 1-12, 2015.
- Lykov, P.A., Baitimerov, R.M. and Vaulin, S.D., "Influence of SLM Process Parameters on Porosity of Nickel Base Heat Resistance Alloy EP648," Material Science Forum 843: 253-258, 2016, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.843.253.
- Gu, D., Wang, H. and Zhang, G., "Selective Laser Melting Additive Manufacturing of Ti-Based Nanocomposites: The Role of Nanopowder," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A45A: 464-476, 2013, doi:10.1007/sl1661-013-1968-4.
- Chang, F., Gu, D., Dai, D. and Yuan, P., "Selective laser melting of in-situ A14SiC4 + SiC hybrid reinforced A1 matrix composites: Influence of starting SiC particle size," Surface & Coatings Technology 272: 15-24, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.surfcoat2015.04.029.