This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Flexible Tooling for Wing Box Assembly: Hexapod Development Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ability to adapt to rapidly evolving market demands continues to be the one of the key challenges in the automation of assembly processes in the aerospace industry. To meet this challenge, industry and academia have made efforts to automate flexible fixturing. LOCOMACHS (Low Cost Manufacturing and Assembly of Composite and Hybrid Structures) - a European Union funded project with 31 partners - aims to address various aspects of aero-structure assembly with a special attention directed to the development of a new build philosophy along with relevant enabling technologies. This paper aims to present the results on the developed wing box build philosophy and the integration of automated flexible tooling solutions into the assembly process. The developed solution constitutes the use of synchronized hexapods for the assembly of front spar to upper cover whereas another hexapod was developed to install a rib by using of a force feedback sensor. Both hexapod applications have undergone parametrized mechanical design to provide adaptability to various applications. Furthermore, synchronous control of multiple hexapods has been developed to manipulate and hold the front spar in position and withstand the drilling forces applied by an external automated drilling system during the assembly of cover to spar. Finally, discrete state assembly system utilizing force and torque feedback has been developed to perform the assembly of a rib in order to demonstrate the intelligence capability of hexapods.
CitationErdem, I., Helgosson, P., Gomes, A., and Engstrom, M., "Automated Flexible Tooling for Wing Box Assembly: Hexapod Development Study," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2110, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2110.
- Bi Z. M. , Lang S. Y. T. , Shen W. , and Wang L. Reconfigurable manufacturing systems: The state of the art International Journal of Production Research 46 4 967 992 2008 10.1080/00207540600905646
- Bi Z. M. , and Zhang W. J. Flexible fixture design and automation: Review, issues and future directions International Journal of Production Research 39 13 2867 2894 2001 10.1080/00207540110054579
- Jefferson , T. , Crossley , R. , Smith , T. , and Ratchev , S. Review of Reconfigurable Assembly Systems Technologies for Cost Effective Wing Structure Assembly SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2336 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2336
- efferson , T. , Ratchev , S. , and Crossley , R. Axiomatic Design of a Reconfigurable Assembly System for Primary Wing Structures SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 7 2 229 240 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2249
- Kihlman H. , Ossbahr G. , Engström M. , and Anderson J. Low-Cost Automation for Aircraft Assembly 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2830
- Mueller , R. and Vette , M. Handling of Large Components for Aircraft Assembly Using an Adaptable Network of Different Kinematic Units SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 6 1 342 349 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2334
- Millar , A. and Kihlman , H. Reconfigurable Flexible Tooling for Aerospace Wing Assembly SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3243 2009 10.4271/2009-01-3243
- Kihlman , H. and Engstrom , M. Flexapods - Flexible Tooling at SAAB for Building the NEURON Aircraft SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1871 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1871
- Bakker O. J. , Papastathis T. N. , Popov A. A. , and Ratchev S. M. Active fixturing: Literature review and future research directions International Journal of Production Research 51 11 3171 3190 2013 10.1080/00207543.2012.695893
- Keller C. Force-controlled adjustment of car body fixtures 89 97
- Jonsson , M. , Stolt , A. , Robertsson , A. , Murray , T. et al. Force Controlled Assembly of a Compliant Rib SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2734 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2734