This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Variation Aware Assembly Systems for Aircraft Wings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aircraft manufacturers desire to increase production to keep up with anticipated demand. To achieve this, the aerospace industry requires a significant increase in the manufacturing and assembly performance to reach required output levels. This work therefore introduces the Variation Aware Assembly (VAA) concept and identifies its suitability for implementation into aircraft wing assembly processes. The VAA system concept focuses on achieving assemblies towards the nominal dimensions, as opposed to traditional tooling methods that aim to achieve assemblies anywhere within the tolerance band. It enables control of the variation found in Key Characteristics (KC) that will allow for an increase in the assembly quality and product performance. The concept consists of utilizing metrology data from sources both before and during the assembly process, to precisely position parts using motion controllers. In this way the assembly fastening operations can be performed optimally and account for manufacturing induced dimensional variations that reduce cycle times in aircraft wing assembly processes. By alleviating the dimensional variation caused by the upstream manufacturing processes and the inaccuracies in the tooling we will achieve a significant increase in the capability of aircraft wing assembly. To analyze the effectiveness of the VAA system a rib insertion process, occurring in a typical aircraft wing assembly, was replicated on a demonstrator test rig. Industrial grade motion controllers and metrology equipment ware utilized to allow for comparison to current industry practices. The experimental case study is described and initial process data shows promise for future implementation on a full scale assembly system.
CitationVaughan, D., Bakker, O., Branson, D., and Ratchev, S., "Variation Aware Assembly Systems for Aircraft Wings," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2106, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2106.
- Hollinger P., “Airbus boss strives for upward trajectory,” Financial Times, 2016.
- Chouvion, B., Popov, A., Ratchev, S., Mason, C. et al., "Interface Management in Wing-Box Assembly," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2640, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2640.
- Vichare P., Martin O., Jamshidi J., and Maropoulos P. G., “Dimensional management in aerospace assemblies: case based scenarios for simulation and measurement of assembly variations,” pp. 215-225, 2011.
- Wang H. and Ding X., “Identifying sources of variation in horizontal stabilizer assembly using finite element analysis and principal component analysis,” Assem. Autom., vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 86-96, Feb. 2013.
- Ceglarek D. and Shi J., “Dimensional variation reduction for automotive body assembly,” Manuf. Rev., vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 139-154, 1995.
- Camelio J., Hu S. J., and Ceglarek D., “Modeling Variation Propagation of Multi-Station Assembly Systems With Compliant Parts,” J. Mech. Des., vol. 125, no. 4, p. 673, 2003.
- Loose J.-P., Zhou S., and Ceglarek D., “Variation Source Identification in Manufacturing Processes Based on Relational Measurements of Key Product Characteristics,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., vol. 130, no. 3, p. 031007, 2008.
- Das A., Franciosa P., and Ceglarek D., “Fixture Design Optimisation Considering Production Batch of Compliant Non-Ideal Sheet Metal Parts,” Procedia Manuf., vol. 1, pp. 157-168, 2015.
- Hartmann J., Meeker C., Weller M., Izzard N., Smith A., Ferguson A., and Ellson A., “Determinate Assembly of Tooling Allows Concurrent Design of Airbus Wings and Major Assembly Fixtures,” Sep. 2004.
- Curran R., Zhao X., and Verhagen W. J. C., “Concurrent Engineering in the 21st Century: Foundations, Developments and Challenges,” Stjepandić J., Wognum N., and Verhagen W. J. C., Eds. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2015, pp. 571-605.
- Saadat M. and Cretin C., “Dimensional variations during Airbus wing assembly,” Assem. Autom., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 270-276, 2002.
- Saadat M., Sim R., and Najafi F., “Prediction of geometrical variations in Airbus wingbox assembly,” Assem. Autom., vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 324-332, Oct. 2007.
- Jeffreys D. and Leaney P. G., “Dimensional control as an integral part of next-generation aircraft development,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B J. Eng. Manuf., vol. 214, no. 9, pp. 831-835, Jan. 2000.
- Muelaner J. E. and Maropoulos P., “Integrated Dimensional Variation Management in the Digital Factory,” no. September, 2011.
- Williams, G., Chalupa, E., and Rahhal, S., "Automated Positioning and Alignment Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3014, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-3014.
- Rüscher, O. and Mayländer, H., "Automated Alignment and Marry-Up of Aircraft Fuselage Sections with a Final Assembly Line," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2570, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-2570.
- Mbarek, T., Meissner, A., and Biyiklioglu, N., "Positioning System for the Aircraft Structural Assembly," SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 4(2):1038-1047, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2637.
- Maropoulos P. G., Muelaner J. E., Summers M. D., and Martin O. C., “A new paradigm in large-scale assembly - research priorities in measurement assisted assembly,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., vol. 70, no. 1-4, pp. 621-633, Sep. 2013.
- Mei Z. and Maropoulos P. G., “Review of the application of flexible, measurement-assisted assembly technology in aircraft manufacturing,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B J. Eng. Manuf., vol. 228, no. 10, pp. 1185-1197, Feb. 2014.
- Muelaner J. E., Cai B., and Maropoulos P. G., “Large volume metrology instrument selection and measurability analysis,” vol. M, no. December, pp. 1-15, 2009.
- Saadat M. and Cretin L., “Measurement systems for large aerospace components,” Sens. Rev., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 199-206, 2002.
- Bakker, O., Jayaweera, N., Martin, O., Turnock, A. et al., "Fixturing and Tooling for Wing Assembly with Reconfigurable Datum System Pickup," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2556, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2556.
- Jamshidi J., Kayani A., Iravani P., Maropoulos P. G., and Summers M. D., “Manufacturing and assembly automation by integrated metrology systems for aircraft wing fabrication,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B J. Eng. Manuf., vol. 224, pp. 25-36, 2009.
- Wu D., Greer M. J., Rosen D. W., and Schaefer D., “Cloud manufacturing: Strategic vision and state-of-the-art,” J. Manuf. Syst., vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 564-579, Oct. 2013.
- Bestwick R. and Grant S., “AIRCRAFT RIB-SPAR JOINT,” 2012.