This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Non-Intrusive Partial Discharges Investigations on Aeronautic Motors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 20, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present paper reports non-electrically intrusive partial discharge investigations on an aeronautic motor. Relevancy, robustness and repeatability of partial discharge testing procedures, both on insulating materials characterization and on operating aeronautic equipment are essential to ensure reliability of the aircraft systems. The aim of this paper is to be the very first step of defining such procedures and the associated test equipment.
To do so, the paper will start by providing an understanding of partial discharge phenomena and will review typical more electrical aircraft architecture. Key characteristics causing partial discharge risk to increase will be highlighted. The impact of harness length, high performance power electronics and voltage level increase on insulation system is demonstrated.
Then, an analysis is carried out from motor design perspective to find out which test procedure is relevant to assess each insulation system performance both at atmospheric and reduced pressures. The study helps to realize the benefits of using multiple test sample and procedure to assess insulation system performance level through the design process of the motor. It is shown that a good agreement observed between stator and representative samples.
This paper will also review the ability of the non-intrusive test method to detect partial discharge with a full scope of voltage signal from AC to impulse voltage and under different pressures. The paper concludes with an analysis of results and thoughts about future work regarding motor design taking into account partial discharge risk and evolution of proposed procedure.
|Aerospace Standard||Skid Control System Vibration Survey|
|Technical Paper||Advanced Composites Repair Analysis Tool (ACRAT)|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Laboratory Testing of Vehicle and Industrial Heat Exchangers for Durability Under Vibration-Induced Loading|
CitationBillard, T., Abadie, C., and Taghia, B., "Non-Intrusive Partial Discharges Investigations on Aeronautic Motors," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2058, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2058.
- Cotton , A. Nelms and Husband M. Higher voltage aircraft power systems IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine 23 2 25 32 Feb. 2008 10.1109/MAES.2008.4460728
- Lebey T. , Cella B. , Billard T. and Abadie C. Partial discharges in aeronautics: the last frontier? Properties and Applications of Dielectric Materials (ICPADM) 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on the Sydney, NSW 2015 268 271 10.1109/ICPADM.2015.7295260
- Cella B. , Lebey T. and Abadie C. Partial discharges measurements at the constituents' level of aerospace power electronics converters Electrical Insulation Conference (EIC), 2015 IEEE Seattle, WA 2015 274 277 10.1109/ICACACT.2014.7223587
- Grosjean D. F. , Schweickart D. L. , Kasten D. G. , Sebo S. A. and Liu X. Development of procedures for partial discharge measurements at low pressures in air, argon and helium IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation 15 6 1535 1543 December 2008 10.1109/TDEI.2008.4712655
- IEEE Guide for the Measurement of Partial Discharges in AC Electric Machinery 2010
- Bartnikas R. and McMahon E. J. Engineering dielectrics - Volume 1 - Corona measurements and interpretation American Society for Testing and Materials - STP669 1979
- Roboam X. New trends and challenges of electrical networks embedded in “more electrical aircraft” Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Gdansk 2011 26 31 10.1109/ISIE.2011.5984130
- Rosero J. A. , Ortega J. A. , Aldabas E. and Romeral L. Moving towards a more electric aircraft IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine 22 3 3 9 March 2007 10.1109/MAES.2007.340500
- Karimi K.J. Future Aircraft Power Systems - Integration Challenges 2007
- Moir I. , Seabridge A. Aircraft Systems: Mechanical, Electrical and Avionics Subsystems Integration 3rd August 2011
- Persson E. Transients Effects in Application of PWM Inverters to Induction Motors IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 28 5 Sep. Oct. 1992 1095 1101 10.1109/28.158834
- Rotating Electrical Machines - Part 18-41: Qualification and Type Tests for Type I - Electrical Insulation Systems Used in Rotating Electrical Machines Fed from Voltage Converters IEC 60034-18-41 - TS Ed. 1.0 2007
- Beeckman R.J. Inverter drive issues and magnet wire responses Proceedings of Electrical Insulation Conference and Electrical Manufacturing and Coil Winding Conference IEEE 1999 139 141 10.1109/EEIC.1999.826195
- Bonnett A.H. Analysis of the impact of pulse-width modulated inverter voltage waveforms on AC induction motors IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 32 2 March April 1996 386 392 10.1109/28.491488
- Stone , G.C. , Campbell , S.R. , Lloyd , B.A. , Tetreault , S. Which Inverter-Fed Drives Need Upgraded Stator Windings IAS/PCA Salt Lake City May 7 12 2000 10.1109/PCICON.2000.882771
- Melfi M. , Sung J. , Bell S. and Skibinski G. Effect of surge voltage risetime on the insulation of low voltage machines fed by PWM converters Industry Applications Conference, 1997. Thirty-Second IAS Annual Meeting, IAS '97., Conference Record of the 1997 IEEE New Orleans, LA 1997 239 246 1 10.1109/IAS.1997.643034
- Duchesne S. , Mihaila V. , Velu G. and Roger D. Study of wire distribution in a slot of a motor fed by steep fronted pulses for lifetime extension Electrical Insulation (ISEI), Conference Record of the 2012 IEEE International Symposium on San Juan, PR 2012 601 605 10.1109/ELINSL.2012.6251541
- Krishnan R. and Bharadwaj A. S. A comparative study of various motor drive systems for aircraft applications Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 1991., Conference Record of the 1991 IEEE Dearborn, MI, USA 1991 252 258 1 10.1109/IAS.1991.178163
- Cao W. , Mecrow B. C. , Atkinson G. J. , Bennett J. W. and Atkinson D. J. Overview of Electric Motor Technologies Used for More Electric Aircraft (MEA) IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 59 9 3523 3531 Sept. 2012 10.1109/TIE.2011.2165453
- Fodorean D. , Miraoui A. Dimensionnement rapide des machines synchrones à aimants permanents (MSAP) technique de l’ingénieur D3554 2009
- Dogan H. , Wurtz F. , Foggia A. , Garbuio L. Analysis of Slot-Pole Combination of Fractional-Slots PMSM for Embedded Applications 2011 10.1109/ACEMP.2011.6490669
- Boucenna N. Contribution à la modélisation en compatibilité électromagnétique des machine électriques triphasées Ph. D: Electrical engineering CACHAN SATIE-ENS Laboratory 2014
- IEC 60851:2008 Winding wires - Test methods 2008
- Billard T. , Lebey T. , Fresnet F. Partial discharge in electric motor fed by a PWM inverter: off-line and on-line detection Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, IEEE Transactions on 21 3 1235 1242 June 2014 10.1109/TDEI.2014.6832270
- Satish L. and Nazneen B. Wavelet-based denoising of partial discharge signals buried in excessive noise and interference IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul. 10 2 354 367 Apr. 2003 10.1109/TDEI.2003.1194122
- Sriram S. , Nitin S. , Prabhu K. M. M. , and Bastiaans M. J. Signal denoising techniques for partial discharge measurements IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul. 12 6 1182 1191 Dec. 2005 10.1109/TDEI.2005.1561798