This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Functional Safety (ASIL-D) for an Electro Mechanical Brake
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 18, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since more than eight years Vienna Engineering (VE) is working on an electro-mechanical brake (EMB) actuated by eccentrics and a highly non-linear actuation mechanism. The principle allows full braking in approx. 70 milliseconds (including air gap) and only approx. 3 A RMS actuator current at 12 V for classical ABS with oscillations. This EMB reached an elaborated state. Versions for passenger cars, elevators, railway and commercial vehicles (CVs) were derived.
Now, as the EMB is going to road tests, it is necessary to fulfill safety requirements closely. What are these safety requirements and how can they be fulfilled? The properties of the overall system, of the mechanics and electronics of the single brake are discussed in this paper.
The overall brake system for EMBs needs a truly redundant power supply, a safe control bus and a safe brake pedal. The mechanics of a single brake can be required to release when power is off and it must not get mechanically stuck. The electronics of each brake must fulfill safety integrity level ASIL-D, which can be interpreted as an extreme unlikeliness of a safety critical malfunction. It includes all electrically and electronically parts like connectors, actuator motor, its control, the microprocessor and all electronic components.
The mechanical safety requirements were developed with a car manufacturer. The system architecture is an acknowledged bus and supply design. The ASIL-D brake electronics is currently implemented together with an electronics company that originated from safe aircraft electronics, e.g. gas turbine controllers (FADEC). The paper gives an overview of these topics, including details of the EMB control electronics, which is directly integrated into the brake.
The simplicity of commanding EMBs and the very short actuation time makes certain EMBs ideal for autonomous driving and autonomous emergency braking.
|Technical Paper||Encapsulation of Software-Modules of Safety-Critical Systems|
|Technical Paper||An Architecture for a Safety-Critical Steer-by-Wire System|
|Technical Paper||Model-Based Design and In-Vehicle Software|
CitationPutz, M., Seifert, H., Zach, M., and Peternel, J., "Functional Safety (ASIL-D) for an Electro Mechanical Brake," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1953, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1953.
- International Organization for Standardization ISO 26262 Roadvehicles-Functional safety
- Silver-Atena www.silver-atena.de Experts for safety related electronics Munich, Germany
- Behere , S. , Zhang , X. , Izosimov , V. , and Törngren , M. A Functional Brake Architecture for Autonomous Heavy Commercial Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0134 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0134
- Wikipedia General Motors ignition switch scandal en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_scandal
- CNN Money GM CEO: ‘People died in our cars’
- Deinhard , Siegmund ; Galli , Tobias ; Gilch , Markus ; Knorr , Rainer Dual battery management concept
- ETAS INCA measurement, calibration and diagnostics www.etas.com/en/products/inca_software_products.php
- Putz , M. , Seifert , H. , Zach , M. , Schiffer , M. et al. Accuracy of Sensor-Less Control of an Electro-Mechanical Brake SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2704 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2704
- Putz , M. , Wunsch , C. , Schiffer , M. , and Peternel , J. Test Results of A Sensor-Less, Highly Nonlinear Electro-Mechanical Brake SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2541 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2541
- Putz , M. , Wunsch , C. , Morgan , J. , Schiffer , M. et al. Energy and Timing Advantages of Highly Non-Linear EMB Actuation SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2067 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2067
- Putz , M. , Wunsch , C. , and Morgan , J. The VE Electro-Mechanical Car Brake for Windmills (and Railways) SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1796 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1796
- Putz , Michael ; Faul , Bernhard ; Wunsch , Christian ; Morgan , John E. The VE electromechanical brake with fully integrated actuators in a SUV class vehicle Vienna Engineering; Eurobrake 2012
- Putz , M. , Wunsch , C. , and Morgan , J. Wheel Optimized Brake Torque at the VE Mechatronic Brake SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2358 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2358
- Putz , M. VE Mechatronic Brake: Development and Investigations of a Simple Electro Mechanical Brake SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1682 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1682
- Putz , Michael and Maier , Rainer Auto-release at an Electro Mechanical Brake at power-off; Vienna Engineering 6th European Conference on Braking JEF 2010
- YAMASAKI , Tatsuya ; EGUCHI , Masaaki ; MAKINO , Yusuke Development of an Electromechanical Brake NTN TECHNICAL REVIEW 75 2007
- SKF bearing calculator webtools3.skf.com/BearingCalc/selectProduct.action