This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy Saving Analysis of Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Thermal Management System Based on Rankine Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 18, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle hydraulic retarders are applied in heavy-duty trucks and buses as an auxiliary braking device. In traditional cooling systems of hydraulic retarders, the working fluid is introduced into the heat exchanger to transfer heat to the cooling liquid in circulation, whose heat is then dissipated by the engine cooling system. This prevents the waste heat of the working fluid from being used effectively.
In hydraulic retarder cooling system based on the Organic Rankine Cycle, the organic working fluid first transfers heat with the hydraulic retarder working fluid in Rankine cycle, and then outputs power through expansion machine. It can both reduce heat load of the engine cooling system, and enhance thermal stability of the hydraulic retarder while recovering and utilizing braking energy.
First of all, according to the target vehicle model, hydraulic retarder cooling system model based on Rankine cycle is established. Through presetting Rankine cycle parameters, characteristics and power consumption of this cooling system are analyzed under different hydraulic retarder working conditions. Then a mathematical model of traditional hydraulic retarder cooling system is set up. Its characteristics and power consumption under different hydraulic retarder working conditions are analyzed. Next, the effectiveness of the mathematical model of hydraulic retarder cooling system model based on Rankine cycle is verified by experiments. Finally, based on the Rankine cycle model after verification, two cooling systems are compared in cooling capacity, power consumption, economy and volume under the same circumstances.
The results show that, in contrast to traditional cooling system of hydraulic retarder, hydraulic retarder cooling system based on the Organic Rankine Cycle, though taking up a little more space, can effectively reduce heat load of engine cooling system, improve thermal stability of hydraulic retarder, lower energy consumption and be more economical.
CitationWang, T., Tan, G., Guo, X., Xiong, S. et al., "Energy Saving Analysis of Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Thermal Management System Based on Rankine Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1941, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1941.
- Zhou , L. , Tan , G. , Guo , X. , Chen , M. et al. Study of Energy Recovery System Based on Organic Rankine Cycle for Hydraulic Retarder SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0239 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0239
- Wang , K. Experimental Study and Simulation on Surface Performance of the Heat Exchanger of Hydraulic Retarder Master thesis College of Automotive Engineering, Jilin University Jilin 2007
- Invernizzi C. M. Closed Power Cycles 10.1007/978-1-4471-5140-1
- Liu , W. , Tan , G. , Guo , X. , Li , J. et al. Boiling Coolant Vapor Fraction Analysis for Cooling the Hydraulic Retarder SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 1629 1637 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1611
- Gu , W. Theoretical and Experimental Study of Organic Rankine Cycle for Low and Medium Grade Heat Source Utilization Ph.D. thesis School of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Shanghai 2009
- Wang , J. , Yan , Z. , Wang , M. et al Thermodynamic Analysis and Optimization of an (Organic Rankine Cycle) ORC Using Low Grade Heat Source Energy 49 49 356 365 2013 10.1016/j.energy.2012.11.009
- Que , X. , and Chen , J. Practical Technology of Automobile Air Conditioning 7-111-11487-6
- Yuan , Z. Study on Heat-Flow Coupling and Heat Transfer System of Hydrodynamic Retarder of Heavy Vehicle School of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Jilin University Jilin 2013
- Zeng , L. , Li , H. , and Hu , C. Engine Cooling Fan System and Its Drive System--An Important Component for Energy-saving and Emission-reduction New Technology & New Process 16 19 Apr. 2012
- Ministry of environmental Protection of the People’s Republic of China Standard for Forced Abandonment of Motor Vehicles 2012 12 2012