This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Closed-Loop Coupling Model for Brake Squeal Concerning Disc Rotation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 18, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modelling of disc is crucial in analyzing brake squeal since the disc rotates past the non-rotating pads and the pads are coupled with different areas of the disc at different times. However, in most of the complex eigenvalue analysis of brake squeal, the effect of disc rotation was ignored. This paper proposes a closed-loop coupling model for brake squeal analysis. A modal parameter-based rotating disc model, whose dynamic behavior is represented by rotation speed-dependent equivalent modal parameters, is built through space and time-frequency transformation between reference and moving coordinate systems. The orthogonality of the equivalent modal parameters in state-space is derived. By performing modal synthesis in state-space, the rotating disc is incorporated into brake squeal closed-loop coupling model with other stationary components. Dynamic instability of the system is solved through complex eigenvalue analysis in state-space. It shows that new unstable squeal modes emerge with growing rotation speed and the instability of the system differs under different rotation speeds.
CitationDu, Y. and Wang, Y., "Study on Closed-Loop Coupling Model for Brake Squeal Concerning Disc Rotation," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1922, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1922.
- Kinkaid, N. M., O'Reilly, O. M., and Papaclopoulos, P., "Automotive disc brake squeal," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 267(1): 105-166, 2003, doi: 10.1016/S0022-460x(02)01573-0.
- Abu Bakar, A. R. a. O., Huajiang, "Recent studies of car disc brake squeal," New Research on Acoustics: 159-198, 2008.
- Liles, G., "Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Methods," SAE Technical Paper 891150, 1989, doi:10.4271/891150.
- Dihua, G. and Dongying, J., "A Study on Disc Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Methods," SAE Technical Paper 980597, 1998, doi:10.4271/980597.
- Heilig, J., and Wauer, J., "Stability of a Nonlinear Brake System at High Operating Speeds," Nonlinear Dynamics, 34(3): 235-247, 2003, doi: 10.1023/b:nody.0000013506.20009.70.
- Hochlenert, D., Spelsberg-Korspeter, G., and Hagedorn, P., "Friction Induced Vibrations in Moving Continua and Their Application to Brake Squeal," Journal of Applied Mechanics, 74(3): 542-549, 2006, doi: 10.1115/1.2424239.
- Ouyang, H., Mottershead, J. E., and Li, W., "A moving-load model for disc-brake stability analysis," Journal of Vibration and Acoustics-Transactions of the Asme, 125(1): 53-58, 2003, doi: 10.1115/1.1521954.
- Kang, J. Y., "Squeal analysis of gyroscopic disc brake system based on finite element method," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 51(4): 284-294, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.02.003.
- Du, Y., Lv, Y., Wang, Y., and Gao, P., "Study on a Closed-Loop Coupling Model without Coupling Spring," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst., 9(1): 227-233, 2016, doi: 10.4271/2016-01-1315.
- Du, Y., Lv, Y., Wang, Y., and Gao, P., "On the Effect of Friction Law in Closed-Loop Coupling Disc Brake Model," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst., 9(1): 154-159, 2016, doi: 10.4271/2016-01-0476.
- Lv, Y., Du, Y., and Wang, Y., "Substructure Modal Composition and Sensitivity Analysis based on Closed-Loop Coupling Model without Coupling Spring," SAE International, 2016-01-1309, 2016, doi: 10.4271/2016-01-1309.
- Du, Y., Gao, P., Wang, Y., and Lv, Y., "On the Coupling Stiffness in Closed-Loop Coupling Disc Brake Model through Optimization," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst., 8(1): 31-36, 2015, doi: 10.4271/2015-01-0668.
- Guan, D. H., Su, X. D., and Zhang, F., "Sensitivity analysis of brake squeal tendency to substructures' modal parameters," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 291(1-2): 72-80, 2006, doi: 10.1016/j.jsv.2005.05.023.
- Kang, J., Krousgrill, C. M., and Sadeghi, F., "Wave pattern motion and stick-slip limit cycle oscillation of a disc brake," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 325(3): 552-564, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.jsv.2009.03.030.
- Talbot, C., and Fieldhouse, J. D., "Fourier analysis of holographic data from a noisy disc brake and its implication for modelling," Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering, 217(11): 975-984, 2003.
- Krupka, R., Walz, T., and Ettemeyer, A., "Fast and full-field measurement of brake squeal using pulsed ESPI technique," Optical Engineering, 42(5): 1354-1358, 2003.
- Wang, Y., Du, Y., and Gao, P., "Rotating Disc Model for Complex Eigenvalue Analysis of Brake Squeal," The Imac, A Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics, 2015. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-15236-3_10.
- Du, Y., Wang, Y., Gao, P., and Lv, Y., "Modal Based Rotating Disc Model for Disc Brake Squeal," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst., 8(1): 16-21, 2015, doi: 10.4271/2015-01-0665.
- Gao, P., Du, Y., Wang, Y., and Lv, Y., "Study on Repeated-Root Modes in Substructure Modal Composition Analysis," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst., 9(1): 160-166, 2016, doi: 10.4271/2016-01-0477.
- Giannini, O., and Massi, F., "Characterization of the high-frequency squeal on a laboratory brake setup," Journal of Sound & Vibration, 310(1-2): 394-408, 2008.
- Meirovitch, L., "A Modal Analysis for the Response of Linear Gyroscopic Systems," Journal of Applied Mechanics, 42(2): 446-450, 1975, doi: 10.1115/1.3423597.
- Bucher, I., and Ewins, D. J., "Modal analysis and testing of rotating structures," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 359(1778): 61-96, 2001, doi: 10.1098/rsta.2000.0714.
- Gutierrez-Wing, E. S., "Modal analysis of rotating machinery structures," Ph.D. thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London, London, 2003