This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Possibilities and Limitations of Wind Noise Testing in the Aerodynamical Wind Tunnel at Volvo Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 9th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
This paper presents an experimental study of aeroacoustical sound sources generated by the turbulent flow around the side mirror of a Volvo V70. Measurements were carried out at the Volvo Cars aerodynamical wind tunnel (PVT) and at the aeroacoustical wind tunnel of Stuttgart University (FKFS). Several different measurement techniques were applied in both tunnels and the results were compared to each other. The configurations considered here were: side mirror with a cord and without the cord. The results discussed in this paper include intensity probe measurements in the flow around the side mirror, sound source localization with beamforming technique using a three-dimensional spherical array as well as standard measurements inside the car with an artificial head. This experimental study focused on understanding the differences between testing at the PVT and FKFS. It aimed to answer the question about how to overcome the difficulties in measuring small wind noise contributions in the aerodynamical wind tunnel with poor aeroacoustical treatment.
|Journal Article||The Aerodynamic Development of the New Audi Q5|
|Technical Paper||The New Lola Cars 50% Scale Aerodynamic Wind Tunnel|
|Journal Article||The New Audi A6/A7 Family - Aerodynamic Development of Different Body Types on One Platform|
CitationRoditcheva, O., Lofdahl, L., Sebben, S., Harling cEng, P. et al., "On the Possibilities and Limitations of Wind Noise Testing in the Aerodynamical Wind Tunnel at Volvo Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1807, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1807.
- Roditcheva, O., Moroianu, D., Harling, P., Bernhardsson, H., "Experimental and numerical study of wind noise caused by cowl area on Volvo XC60" 15th Stuttgart International Symposium Automotive and Engine Technology, 2015, 471-484. 2015, 471-484.
- Ask, J., "Prediction of Aerodynamically Induced Wind Noise Around Ground Vehicles", PhD thesis report, Chalmers University of Technology (2008).
- Hammar J, O'Reilly C J, Efraimsson G, Simulation of Aerodynamically Generated Sound Using Hybrid Aeroacoustic Method, Euronoise 2015, 31 May-3 June, Maastricht, 2015
- DeJong, R., Bharj, T., and Lee, J., "Vehicle Wind Noise Analysis Using a SEA Model with Measured Source Levels," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1629, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1629.
- Hoarau, C., Boree, J., Laumonier, J., Gervais, Y., "Unsteady wall pressure field of a model A-pillar conical vortex" International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 29 (2008) 812-819.
- Kim Jeong-Hyun, Han Yong Oun, "Experimental investigation of wake structure around and external rear view mirror of passenger car", Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 99 (2011) 1197-1206.
- Hartmann, M., Ocker, J., Lemke, T., Mutzke, A., "Wind Noise caused by the A-pillar and the Side Mirror flow of a Generic Vehicle Model" AIAA, 2012-2205.
- Maffei, M. and Bianco, A., "Improvements of the Beamforming Technique in Pininfarina Full Scale Wind Tunnel by using a 3D Scanning System," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 1(1):154-168, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0405.
- Sims-Williams, D., Kounenis, C., Dominy, R., Oettle, N., "Three Dimensional Beamforming for Improved Noise Source Localisation" 10th FKFS-Conference: Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management, 2015, 17-29.
- Buckisch, R., Tokuno, H., Knoche, H., "The New Daimler Automotive Wind Tunnel Acoustic Properties and Measurement System" 10th FKFS Conference 2015 Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management.
- Sternéus, J., Walker, T., and Bender, T., "Upgrade of the Volvo Cars Aerodynamic Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1043, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1043.
- Michelbach, A., Blumrich, R., "Upgrade of the full-scale aeroacoustic wind tunnel of Stuttgart University by FKFS" 15th Stuttgart International Symposium Automotive and Engine Technology, 2015, 471-484.
- Head Acoustics. http://www.head-acoustics.de
- Fahy, F., "Sound Intensity", Elsevier Applied Science, 1989.
- Helfer, M.: Localization of Sound Sources. In: Wiedemann, J.; Hucho, W.-H. (Hrsg.): Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics - Advanced Experimental Techniques. Renningen: xpert-Verlag, 2000, ISBN 3-8169-1843-3
- Brüel&Kjær. Pulse User’s Manual. http://www.bksv.com/Applications/NoiseSourceIdentification/SoundIntensityMapping.
- Lamotte, L., Schmitt, A., Deblauwe, F., "Improving Equivalent Sound Source Distribution results in noise source localization in the space using beamforming combined with the SRTF from spherical array", Internoise 2010, June 13-16, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Lamotte, L., Robin, M., Deblauwe, F., "Noise mapping and sound quantification in the space using spherical array", Edinburgh, Scotland, Euronoise, October 26-28, 2009.