This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Global NVH Optimisation Methodologies for Modern Automotive Powertrains
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 9th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Currently, new technologies in automotive industry are mainly driven by CO2 regulation and fuel economy. For most of the OEMs, the priority is to optimize internal combustion engines, make light-weighting and develop hybrid vehicles or fully electric vehicles. In this context, it is difficult and expensive trying to reach absolute silence in the cars. A good NVH strategy for non-specialist OEMs will be to keep the noise to an acceptable level and make it as homogenous as possible.
This article presents several NVH guidelines for the powertrain in order to achieve homogenous noise in the cars. Firstly, master the level of powertrain vibration and maintain it at a suitable level. Secondly, eliminate abnormal noises which are unpleasant and disturbing, such as transient Diesel clatter noise. Thirdly, reduce the levels of emerging noises from powertrain components, such as turbo charger whistling so that they can be masked by background noise. For each guideline, examples of concrete NVH problems are described and optimization methodologies are presented.
CitationWang, S., "Global NVH Optimisation Methodologies for Modern Automotive Powertrains," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1773, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1773.
- Ligier, J.L. and Baron, E., “Acyclisme et vibrations”, Editions Technip
- Leclère, Q., Polac, L., Laulagnet, B. and Guyader, J.L., “Vibroacoustique des moteurs d’automobile”, Technique de l’Ingénieur
- Wang, S. and Baron, E., "Study of Influences of Flywheel Bending Stiffness on Powertrain Acceleration Noises," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1445, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1445.
- Wang, S., Chalu, C., and Gautier, F., "Optimization of Combustion Noise of Modern Diesel Engines for Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2379, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2379.
- Wang, S., Chalu, C., Duclaux, N., and Paquien, M., "Noise Optimization of Diesel Engines with New Combustion Systems," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):1387-1395, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2081.
- Calvo, J.A., Diaz V. and San Roman, J.L., "Controlling the turbocharger whistling noise in diesel engines", Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration, Vol.2, no.1, 2006
- Nghiem, G. and Wang, S., "Improvement of Engine Sound Radiation for the New Pass-By Noise Regulation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2074, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2074.