This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Subjective Assessment of Vehicle Dynamics Evaluations by means of Computer-Tablets as Digital Aid
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle dynamics development relies on subjective assessments (SA), which is a resource-intensive procedure requiring both expert drivers and vehicles. Furthermore, development projects becoming shorter and more complex, and increasing demands on quality require higher efficiency.
Most research in this area has focused on moving from physical to virtual testing. However, SA remains the central method. Less attention has been given to provide better tools for the SA process itself. One promising approach is to introduce computer-tablets to aid data collection, which has proven to be useful in medical studies. Simple software solutions can eliminate the need to transcribe data and generate more flexible and better maintainable questionnaires. Tablets’ technical features envision promising enhancements of SA, which also enable better correlations to objective metrics, a requirement to improve CAE evaluations.
However, it cannot be assumed that a tablet-based solution is feasible in vehicle dynamics SA context. Any distraction might result in low SA quality and safety issues when test-drivers are subjected to high mental workload pushing the vehicles to their performance-limits.
In this study, a SA tablet-software for steering feel, handling, and ride was developed and systematically evaluated versus the traditional pen-and-paper method. The results indicate that the new approach is technically feasible in this context, meets more use-cases, and the drivers’ attitude towards it is positive. It increased questionnaire completion and rating resolution while reducing the error rate and transcription time.
Although attendees reported that the paper-based approach has advantages from a usability point of view, the benefits of the tablet-based approach enable further process-related advantages.
CitationGil Gómez, G., Vestlund, J., Bakker, E., Berger, C. et al., "Improving Subjective Assessment of Vehicle Dynamics Evaluations by means of Computer-Tablets as Digital Aid," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1629, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1629.
- Pfeffer , P. E. , Harrer , M. and Lin , J. 2008 Vehicle dynamics measurements. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering May 1 2008 222 801 813 10.1243/09544070JAUTO413
- Yan , B. , Guan , H. and Crolla , D 2010 Vehicle handling dynamics - an evaluation of objective metrics. Proceedings of AVEC 2010 10th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control Loughborough, UK August 2010
- International Organization for Standards Passenger cars - Steady-state circular driving behaviour - Open-loop test methods (ISO 4138:2012, IDT) International Organization for Standards 2012
- International Organization for Standards Road vehicles - Lateral transient response test methods - Openloop-test methods (ISO 7401:2011, IDT) International Organization for Standards 2011
- International Organization for Standards Passenger cars - Power-off reaction of a vehicle in a turn - Open-loop test method (ISO 9816:2006, IDT) International Organization for Standards 2006
- Chen D. C. & Crolla D. A. 1998 Subjective and objective measures of vehicle handling: drivers & experiments. Vehicle System Dynamics International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility 29 S1 576 597 10.1080/00423119808969588
- King , R. , Crolla , D. , Ash , H. , and Whitehead , J. Identification of Subjective-Objective Vehicle Handling Links Using Neural Networks for the Foresight Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1126 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1126
- Farrer , D. An Objective Measurement Technique for the Quantification of On-Centre Handling Quality SAE Technical Paper 930827 1993 10.4271/930827
- Harrer , M. , Pfeffer , P. E. and Johnston , D. N. 2006 Steering feel - objective assessment of passenger cars analysis of steering feel and vehicle handling FISITA World Automotive Conference 2006 Yokohama, Japan 22-27 October 2006
- Nybacka , M. , He , X. , Gómez , G. G. , Bakker , E. and Drugge , L. 2014 Links between subjective assessments and objective metrics for steering Int. J. Automotive Technology 15 6 893 907
- Gómez Gaspar L. Gil , Nybacka Mikael , Bakker Egbert & Drugge Lars 2015 Findings from subjective evaluations and driver ratings of vehicle dynamics: steering and handling, Vehicle System Dynamics International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility 10.1080/00423114.2015.1050402
- Dy , C.J. et al. 2012 The use of a tablet computer to complete the DASH questionnaire Journal of Hand Surgery 37 2589 2594
- Schick-Makaroff , K. & Molzahn , A. 2015 Strategies to use tablet computers for collection of electronic patient-reported outcomes Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 13 11 16 http://www.hqlo.com/content/13/1/2
- Henriques , G. et al. 2012 An ontology-driven approach to mobile data collection applications for the health-care industry 2012 IEEE 13th International Conference on Information Reuse & Integration (IRI) 578 583 http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-84868311428&partnerID=tZOtx3y1
- List , H. and Schoeggl , P. 1998 Objective evaluation of vehicle driveability. Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa 10.4271/980204
- SAE standard J 1441 Subjective rating scale for vehicle handling 2007
- Salvador , C.H. 2005 Airmed-cardio: A GSM and internet services-based system for out-of-hospital follow-up of cardiac patients IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine 9 1 73 85 10.1109/TITB.2004.840067