This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamics Evaluation of Road Vehicles in Dynamic Maneuvering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A road vehicle’s cornering motion is known to be a compound motion composed mainly of forward, sideslip and yaw motions. But little is known about the aerodynamics of cornering because little study has been conducted in this field. By clarifying and understanding a vehicle’s aerodynamic characteristics during cornering, a vehicle’s maneuvering stability during high-speed driving can be aerodynamically improved. Therefore, in this study, the aerodynamic characteristics of a vehicle’s cornering motion, i.e. the compound motion of forward, sideslip and yaw motions, were investigated. We also considered proposing an aerodynamics evaluation method for vehicles in dynamic maneuvering.
Firstly, we decomposed cornering motion into yaw and sideslip motions. Then, we assumed that the aerodynamic side force and yaw moment of a cornering motion could be expressed by superposing linear expressions of yaw motion parameters and those of sideslip motion parameters, respectively. Next, we conducted CFD analyses of a vehicle in dynamic meandering motions. Then, we verified the linear aerodynamic force model with the CFD analysis results. The results revealed that the aerodynamic side force and yaw moment in dynamic meandering motion could be mostly expressed with the linear aerodynamic force model. We also clarified the aerodynamic characteristics of the vehicle in dynamic meandering motion and its generation mechanism by analyzing the surface static pressure distribution on the vehicle in dynamic meandering motion by applying the concept of the linear aerodynamic force model.
|Technical Paper||Study of Unsteady Aerodynamics of a Car Model in Dynamic Pitching Motion|
|Technical Paper||The BMW AVZ Wind Tunnel Center|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamics of a Generic Ground Transportation System: Detached Eddy Simulation|
- Yoshihiro Okada - Mazda Motor Corporation
- Takuji Nakashima - Hiroshima University
- Makoto Tsubokura - Kobe University
- Yousuke Morikawa - Hiroshima University
- Ryousuke Kouno - Hiroshima University
- Satoshi Okamoto - Mazda Motor Corporation
- Tanaka Matsuhiro - Mazda Motor Corporation
- Takahide Nouzawa - Mazda Motor Corporation
CitationOkada, Y., Nakashima, T., Tsubokura, M., Morikawa, Y. et al., "Aerodynamics Evaluation of Road Vehicles in Dynamic Maneuvering," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1618, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1618.
- Okada, Y., Nouzawa, T., Nakamura, T., and Okamoto, S., "Flow Structures above the Trunk Deck of Sedan-Type Vehicles and Their Influence on High-Speed Vehicle Stability 1st Report: On-Road and Wind-Tunnel Studies on Unsteady Flow Characteristics that Stabilize Vehicle Behavior," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):138-156, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0004.
- Nakashima, T., Tsubokura, M., Nouzawa, T., Nakamura, T. et al., "Flow Structures above the Trunk Deck of Sedan-Type Vehicles and Their Influence on High-Speed Vehicle Stability 2nd Report: Numerical Investigation on Simplified Vehicle Models using Large-Eddy Simulation," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):157-167, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0006.
- Tsubokura, M., Cheng, S., Nakashima, T., Okada, Y. et al., "Simulation and Analysis of Effects of Dynamic Pitching for Idealized Sedan-Type Vehicle Models," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0153, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0153.
- Cheng, S. Y., et al. “A Numerical Analysis of Transient Flow Past Road Vehicles Subjected to Pitching Oscillation,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 99, 511-522, 2011.
- Ogawa, A., Mashio, S., Yano, S., and Kawamura, T., "Quantitative Representations of Aerodynamic Effects on Handling Response and Flat Ride of Vehicles," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5(1):304-323, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0445.
- Kawakami, M., Sato, N., Aschwanden, P., Mueller, J. et al., "Validation and Modeling of Transient Aerodynamic Loads Acting on a Simplified Passenger Car Model in Sinusoidal Motion," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5(1):324-339, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0447.
- Schroeck, D., Krantz, W., Widdecke, N., and Wiedemann, J., "Unsteady Aerodynamic Properties of a Vehicle Model and their Effect on Driver and Vehicle under Side Wind Conditions," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):108-119, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0154.
- Theissen, P., Wojciak, J., Heuler, K., Demuth, R. et al., "Experimental Investigation of Unsteady Vehicle Aerodynamics under Time-Dependent Flow Conditions - Part 1," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0177, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0177.
- Wojciak, J., Theissen, P., Heuler, K., Indinger, T. et al., "Experimental Investigation of Unsteady Vehicle Aerodynamics under Time-Dependent Flow Conditions - Part2," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0164, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0164.
- Theissen, P., et al. “Unsteady Aerodynamic Phenomena under Time-Dependent Flow Conditions for Different Vehicle Shapes,” 8th MIRE International Aerodynamics Conference, 184-195, 2010.
- Baden Fuller, J. and Passmore, M., "Unsteady Aerodynamics of an Oscillating Fastback Model," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(1):403-413, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1253.
- Okada, Y., Nouzawa, T., Okamoto, S., Fujita, T. et al., "Unsteady Vehicle Aerodynamics during a Dynamic Steering Action: 1st Report, On-Road Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0446, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0446.
- Okada, Y., et al. “Characteristics of unsteady flow around a vehicle affecting its high-speed stability during a dynamic steering action,” Transactions of the JSME (in Japanese), Vol.80, No.809, DOI: 10.1299/transjsme.2014smm0009., 2014.
- Tsubokura, M., Ikawa, Y., Nakashima, T., Okada, Y. et al., "Unsteady Vehicle Aerodynamics during a Dynamic Steering Action: 2nd Report, Numerical Analysis," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5(1):340-357, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0448.
- Horiuchi, S. “Series of basic automotive engineering: Automotive motion performance,” (in Japanese), JSAE, www.jsae.or.jp/∼dat1/mr/motor16/mr200270.pdf
- Nakashima, T., et al. “Aerodynamic force acting on a road vehicle in steady-state cornering,” Transactions of the JSME (in Japanese), Vol. 80, No. 818, DOI: 10.1299/transjsme.2014fe0301., 2014.
- Smagorinsky J., “General circulation experiments with the primitive equations, I. The basic experiment,” Monthly Weather Rev, Vol. 91, pp. 99-164, 1963.
- Hirt, C. W. et al. “An Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian computing method for all flow speeds,” J Comp Phys, Vol. 14, pp. 227-253., 1974.
- Sims-Williams, D., "Cross Winds and Transients: Reality, Simulation and Effects," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):172-183, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0172.
- Nakashima, T. et al. “Aerodynamic characteristics of a road vehicle in steady-state cornering,” Proceedings of the ASMEJSME-KSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference 2015, 2015.