This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Control of a Novel Geared Electromagnetic Active Suspension
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel geared electromagnetic active suspension is proposed in this paper. A pushing rod and a rocker are introduced to transfer the suspension vertical motion to the rotational motion of the motor. Comparing with the common ball-screw active suspension, it presents advantages of simple structure, easy manufacturing and module design. As the state variables of the suspension system cannot be all obtained for the sake of cost, taking the suspension deflection as the measurement, an output feedback LQR optimal controller is adopted, and it is concluded that the system can be stable with damping. Considering the nonlinearity of equivalent stiffness and unsprung mass caused by the system structure, parameter perturbation ranges are concluded through dynamic analysis, and robust H∞ control algorithm is proposed to realize the multi-objective optimization. The performance comparisons of both controllers mentioned above are carried out in the ADAMS/MATLAB co-simulation to reflect the influence of the nonlinearity of real time in practice. The results conclude that, in real system containing nonlinearity and parameter perturbations, the robust H∞ controller performs better in robustness of improving the ride comfort and handling stability.
CitationGu, C., Chen, X., and Yin, J., "Design and Control of a Novel Geared Electromagnetic Active Suspension," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1554, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1554.
- Yu, F., Cao M. and Zheng X., "Feasibility Study of Energy Feedback Type Vehicle Active Suspension," Journal of Vibration and Shock, 24(4): 27-30, 2006.
- Yu, F. and Zhang Y., "Technology of Regenerative Vehicle Active Suspension, " Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery, 41(1): 1-6, 2010, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1000-1298.2010.1.001.
- Suda, Y., Suematsu, K., Nakano, K. and Shiiba, T., "Study on Electromagnetic Suspension for Automobiles-Simulation and Experiments of Performance," Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA: 699-704, 2000.
- Cao, M., Liu, W. and Yu, Fan., "Development on Electromotor Actuator for Active Suspension of Vehicle," Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 44(11):224-228, 2008, doi:10.3901/JME.2008.11.224.
- Savaresi, S. M., Poussot-Vassal, C., Spelta, C., Sename, O., et al., "Semi-active Suspension Control Design for Vehicles," Elsevier, 2010.
- Esmailzadeh, E. and Bateni, H., "Optimal Active Vehicle Suspensions with Full State Feedback Control," SAE Technical Paper 922473, 1992, doi:10.4271/922473.
- ElMadany, M. M. and Abduljabbar, Z. S., "Linear Quadratic Gaussian Control of a Quarter-car Suspension," Vehicle System Dynamics, 32(6): 479-497, 1999, doi:10.1076/vesd.32.6.479.4224.
- Cheok, K. C., Hu, H. and Loh, N. K., "Optimal Output Feedback Regulation with Frequency-shaped Cost Functional," International Journal of Control, 47(6): 1665-1681, 1988, doi:10.1080/00207178808906128.
- Sun, T., Yu, F. and Shen, X., "Study on Active Suspension Control Based on H∞ Frequency-shaping Synthesis," Journal of Vibration and Shock, 25(1): 146-149, 2006.
- Yamashita, M., Fujimori, K., Hayakawa, K. and Kimura, H., "Application of H∞ Control to Active Suspension Systems," Automatica, 30(11): 1717-1729, 1994, doi:10.1016/0005-1098(94)90074-4.
- Sun, W., Gao, H. and Kaynak, O., "Finite Frequency Control for Vehicle Active Suspension Systems," Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 19(2): 416-422, 2011. doi:10.1109/TCST.2010.2042296.
- Gu, D. W., Petkov, P. H. and Konstantinov, M. M., "Robust Control Design with MATLAB," Springer Science & Business Media, 2005.