This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Safety: Countermeasures for Ejection Mitigation in Rollover
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs), since their introduction onto the market in the late-1990s, have been related to over 300 fatalities with the majority occurring in vehicle rollover. In recent years several organizations made attempts to improve ROV safety. This paper is intended to evaluate ejection mitigation measures considered by the ROV manufacturers. Evaluated countermeasures include two types of occupant restraints (three and four point) and two structural barriers (torso bar, door with net). The Rollover protection structure (ROPS) provided by the manufacturer was attached to a Dynamic Rollover Test System (DRoTS), and a full factorial series of roll/drop/catch tests was performed. The ROV buck was equipped with two Hybrid III dummies, a 5th percentile female and a 95th percentile male. Additionally, occupant and vehicle kinematics were recorded using optoelectronic stereophotogrammetric camera system. Two distinctive rollover conditions (200deg/s and 360deg/s at 3.5-5g vertical drop acceleration) used to simulate vehicle rollover were extracted from the field testing presented in the literature. The results show that for both rollover conditions the unbelted occupants experienced the largest excursion from the vehicle which resulted in occupant ejection from the ROV. In unbelted tests Anthropomorphic test devices (ATDs) came into contact with ROPS or structural barrier (door) and in three out of eight unbelted tests sustained high neck loads (Nij = 1.09-1.35). Seatbelt use eliminated complete occupant ejection, but in several cases partial ejection was observed. Occupant size, occupant restraints, and structural barriers used in respective tests influenced the kinematic response of ATDs during rollover.
|Journal Article||Using Multiple Photographs and USGS LiDAR to Improve Photogrammetric Accuracy|
|Technical Paper||Response of Far-Side Occupants in Car-to-Car Impacts with Standard and Modified Restraint Systems using Hybrid III and US-SID|
- Bronislaw D. Gepner - University of Virginia
- Jack Cochran - University of Virginia
- Patrick Foltz - University of Virginia
- Carolyn Roberts - University of Virginia
- Jacek Toczyski - University of Virginia
- Qi Zhang - University of Virginia
- Matthew Taracko - Honda R&D Americas, Inc.
- Jacob Borth - Honda R&D Americas, Inc.
- Robert Wilson - Honda R&D Americas, Inc.
- Adam Upah - Honda R&D Americas, Inc.
- Jason Kerrigan - University of Virginia
CitationGepner, B., Cochran, J., Foltz, P., Roberts, C. et al., "Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Safety: Countermeasures for Ejection Mitigation in Rollover," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1513, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1513.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission Briefing Package: Proposed Rule on Safety Standard for Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles ROVs Consumer Product Safety Commission 2014
- Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association American National Standard for Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association 2014
- Funk , James R. , Cormier Joseph M. , Bain Charles E. , Wirth Jeffrey L. et al. Factors affecting ejection risk in rollover crashes Annals of Advances in Automotive Medicine/Annual Scientific Conference 56 203 Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 2012
- Homepage of Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA) June 2014 http://www.rohva.org
- CPSC Announces ANPR for Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs) to Address Rising Death Toll Consumer Product Safety Commission January 2016 http://www.cpsc.gov/en/newsroom/news-releases/2010/cpsc-announces-anpr-for-recreational-off-highway-vehicles-rovs-to-address-rising-death-toll/
- Newberry , W. , Carhart , M. , Larson , R. , Bridges , A. et al. Biomechanics of Occupant Responses during Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle (ROV) Riding and 90-degree Tip-overs SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 1 89 109 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0096
- Zagorski , S. , Guenther , D. , Heydinger , G. , and Sidhu , A. Validation of a Roll Simulator for Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0241 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0241
- Castro , E. , Morr , D. , and Tanner , C. S-E-A Roll Simulator as a Parametric Test Device SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1175 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1175
- Active Safety Engineering LLC Pilot Study Of Recreational Off Highway Vehicles (ROV) Technical Report http://www.cpsc.gov/Global/Research-and-Statistics/Technical-Reports/Sports-and-Recreation/ATV-ROV/ROVPilotStudy.pdf June 21 2010
- Active Safety Engineering LLC Pilot Study - Phase II Of Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROV) Technical Report http://www.cpsc.gov/Global/Research-and-Statistics/Technical-Reports/Sports-and-Recreation/ATV-ROV/ROVPilotStudyPhase2.pdf November 15 2010
- Kerrigan , J. , Jordan , A. , Parent , D. , Zhang , Q. et al. Design of a Dynamic Rollover Test System SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars -Mech. Syst. 4 1 870 903 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1116
- Lessley , D.J. , Riley , P. , Zhang , Q. , Foltz , P. , Overby , B. , Heltzel , S. , Sochor , M. , Crandall , J. and Kerrigan , J.R. Occupant Kinematics in Laboratory Rollover Tests: PMHS Response Stapp Car Crash Journal 58 251 2014
- Kerrigan , J. , Seppi , J. , Lockerby , J. , Foltz , P. et al. Test Methodology and Initial Results from a Dynamic Rollover Test System SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0468 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0468
- DiMasi FP Transformation of nine-accelerometer-package (nap) data for replicating headpart kinematics and dynamic loading: Technical report dot hs-808 282 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 1995
- Warner , M. and Bready , J. Rollover Testing of Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs) for Accident Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1117 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1117
- Moffatt , E. , Cooper , E. , Croteau , J. , Orlowski , K. et al. Matched-Pair Rollover Impacts of Rollcaged and Production Roof Cars Using the Controlled Rollover Impact System (CRIS) SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0172 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0172
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Combination Pelvic/Upper Torso (Type 2) Operator Restraint Systems for Off-Road Work Machines SAE Standard J2292 Dec. 2006
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Instrumentation for Impact Test-Part 1-Electronic Instrumentation SAE Standard J211 Jul. 2007
- Lessley , D. , Shaw , G. Riley , P. Forman J. , and Crandall J. Assessment and validation of a methodology for measuring anatomical kinematics of restrained occupants during motor vehicle collisions J Biosens Bioelectron S 1 2011 2
- Page , M. , Cesari , D. , Hautmann , E. , Scherer , R. , Uchimura , T. , Rouhana , S. , & Asakawa , K. 2000 Worldsid: a harmonised advanced side impact dummy Proceedings of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury conference 28 495 498 International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury