This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Critical Speed, Slip Angle and Longitudinal Wheel Slip based on Yaw Marks Left by a Wheel with Zero Tire Pressure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This article presents the results of an analysis of the yaw marks left by a car with normal pressure in all tires and then normal pressure in three tires and zero in one rear tire. The analysis is a continuation of research on influence of reduced tire pressure on car lateral dynamics in a passing maneuver, discussed in the SAE paper No. 2014-01-0466. Preliminary analysis of yaw marks has shown, that a wheel with zero pressure deposits a yaw mark whose geometry differs from the yaw mark made by a wheel with normal pressure based on which we could calculate: critical speed, slip angle and longitudinal wheel slip. The aim of the presented research was to analyze the yaw marks left by car with zero pressure in one rear wheel in order to check the possibility of determining the vehicle critical speed, slip angle and longitudinal wheel slip. It was reached by performing bench and road tests during which the vehicle motion parameters were recorded using GPS Data Logging System. The results of calculations based on the geometric characteristics of yaw marks were compared with real values obtained from the measurements of vehicle motion parameters.
CitationZebala, J., Wach, W., Ciępka, P., and Janczur, R., "Determination of Critical Speed, Slip Angle and Longitudinal Wheel Slip based on Yaw Marks Left by a Wheel with Zero Tire Pressure," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1480, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1480.
- Amirault, G. and MacInnis, S., "Variability of Yaw Calculations from Field Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0103, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0103.
- Barlett W., Wright W., Yaw Tests on Pavement, Gravel, and Grass with ESC and ABS Braking, Proceedings of the 1st joint ITAI-EVU Conference, ITAI & EVU Publishers, Hinckley 2009, pp 201-207.
- Beauchamp, G., Hessel, D., Rose, N., Fenton, S. et al., "Determining Vehicle Steering and Braking from Yaw Mark Striations," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):291-307, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0092.
- Brach, R., "An Analytical Assessment of the Critical Speed Formula," SAE Technical Paper 970957, 1997, doi:10.4271/970957.
- Hague D.J., Lambourn R.F., Turner D.F., Critical Speed Studies I: The Accuracy of Speed Calculated from Critical Curve Marks and Their Striations, ITAI, Proceedings of the 3rd National Conference, Telford, 14-16 November 1997.
- Lambourn R. F., The Calculation of Motor Car Speeds from Curved Tyre Marks, Journal of the Forensic Science Society 1989; 29: pp 371-386.
- Lambourn R., Jennings P., Knight I., Critical Speed Yaw Mark Calculations with and without Electronic Stability Control, Proceedings of the 1st joint ITAI-EVU Conference, ITAI & EVU Publishers, Hinckley 2009, pp 209-235.
- Pacejka, H., "Tire and Vehicle Dynamics-Second Edition," (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. and Elsevier, 2006), ISBN 978-0-7680-1702-1.
- Regulation No. 13 (UN ECE), Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Vehicles of Categories M, N and O with Regard to Braking.
- Richardson, S., Orton, T., Josevski, N., Pok, W. et al., "A Critique of Critical Speed Yaw Mark Research," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0600, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0600.
- Wach W., Wiarygodność Strukturalna Rekonstrukcji Wypadków Drogowych (Structural Reliability of Road Accident Reconstruction), Institute of Forensic Research Publisher, Kraków 2014 (in Polish language).
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, "Instrumentation for Impact Test - Part 1 - Electronic Instrumentation," SAE Standard J211-1, Rev. Mar. 2014.
- www.racelogic.co.uk [Access: 14.10.2013].
- Zebala, J. and Wach, W., "Lane Change Maneuver Driving a Car with Reduced Tire Pressure," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0466, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0466.
- Yamazaki S., Akasaka T., Buckling Behavior in Contact Area of Radial Tire Structure and Skid Marks Left by Tires, JSAE Review Vol.9, No. 3 July 1988.
- Kamiński E., Pokorski J., Teoria samochodu - Dynamika Zawieszeń i Układów Napędowych Pojazdów Samochodów (Theory of Motor Vehicle - Dynamics of Suspensions and Drive Systems), WKŁ, Warszawa 1983 (in Polish language).