This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancement of Automotive Seating Comfort using Double-Wall 3D Air Mat Cushion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Seating comfort is associated with the various factors, and one of the principal components of a vehicle environment which can affect passenger’s comfort is vibration. The seat design plays a vital role in the vibration isolation. In recent years, automotive seat designers are paying more attention for the improvement of seat cushion properties. This paper provides information about a new automotive seat concept that use double-wall 3D air-mat in cushion along with foam cushion in the seat cushion system. To test the developed seat on vibration isolation characteristics, seating comfort, and ride quality experiments have been performed. This research is divided into two parts. At first, the newly developed seat tested on the motion simulator. In study 2, road tests were performed on the national highway. Two tri-axial accelerometers were used to measure acceleration at the foot and hip in two different seats (seat with and without double-wall 3D air-mat). All measured accelerations were about the vertical direction. Pressure measures are relevant to physiological factors that induce comfort, therefore, the interface pressure measured at the seat pan region by the pressure imaging system. Results showed that the seat with double-wall 3D air- mat effectively minimized occupant’s body discomfort. Also, average body-seat interface pressure was also reduced comparatively. Overall, the developed seat provided improved seating comfort and ride quality than the seat being used.
|Technical Paper||Occupant Vibrations - A Challenge for Seat Development|
|Technical Paper||Occupant Comfort - A Mixture of Joint Angles, Seat Pressure and Tissue Loads|
|Technical Paper||Development of an Automatic Seat-Dimension Extraction System|
- Se Jin Park - Korea Res. Inst. of Standards & Science
- Murali Subramaniyam - Korea Res. Inst. of Standards & Science
- Seoung Eun Kim - Korea Res. Inst. of Standards & Science
- Tae Hyun Kim - Daewon Kang Up Co. Ltd.
- Hee Su Sin - Daewon Kang Up Co. Ltd.
- Dong Hag Seo - Daewon Kang Up Co. Ltd.
- Hyu Hyeong Nam - Mantoo Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Jeong Cheol Lee - SsangYong Motor Company
CitationPark, S., Subramaniyam, M., Kim, S., Kim, T. et al., "Enhancement of Automotive Seating Comfort using Double-Wall 3D Air Mat Cushion," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1430, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1430.
- Park , S. and Kim , C. The Evaluation of Seating Comfort by the Objective Measures SAE Technical Paper 970595 1997 10.4271/970595
- Park , S. , Cheung , W. , Cho , Y. , and Yoon , Y. Dynamic Ride Quality Investigation for Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 980660 1998 10.4271/980660
- Park , S. , Min , B. , Lee , J. , and Kang , E. Development of the Evaluating System for Ride Comfort and Fatigue in Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0388 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0388
- Park , S. , Min , S. , Subramaniyam , M. , Lee , H. et al. Vibration Effect Investigation in Baby Car Seats and Automobile Seats SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0462 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0462
- Park , S. , Min , S. , Subramaniyam , M. , Lee , D. et al. Analysis of Body Pressure Ratio for Evaluation of Automotive Seating Comfort SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0456 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0456
- Park , S. and Subramaniyam , M. Evaluating Methods of Vibration Exposure and Ride Comfort in Car J Ergon Soc Korea 32 4 381 387 2013 10.5143/JESK.2013.32.4.381
- Hong , K. T. , Hwang , S. H. and Hong , K. S. 2003 August Automotive ride-comfort improvement with an air cushion seat Proceedings of SICE Annual Conference in Fukui 2043 2048
- Huston , D. , Johnson , C. , Wood , M. and Zhao , X. Vibration Attenuating Characteristics of Air Filled Seat Cushions Journal of Sound and Vibration 22 333 340 1999 10.1006/jsvi.1998.2016
- Griffin , M. Handbook of Human Vibration Academic Press London 1990
- Griffin , M. A comparison of standardized methods for predicting the hazards of Whole-body vibration and shocks J. of Sound and Vibration 215 4 883 914 1998 10.1006/jsvi.1998.1600
- ISO 2631-1:1997 Mechanical vibration and shock - Evaluation of human exposure to whole-body vibration - Part 1: General requirements
- Eitzen , I. Pressure mapping in seating: a frequency analysis approach Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 85 7 1136 1140 2004 10.1016/j.apmr.2003.09.007
- Stinson , M.D. , Porter-Armstrong , A. and Eakin , P. Seat-interface pressure: a pilot study of the relationship of gender, body mass index, and seating position Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 84 3 405 409 2003 10.1053/apmr.2003.50011
- Park , S. J. , Min , S. N. , Lee , H. , Subramaniyam , M. et al. Express Train Seat Discomfort Evaluation using Body Pressure and Anthropometric data J Ergon Soc Korea 33 3 215 227 2014 10.5143/JESK.2014.33.3.215
- Park , S. , Min , S. , Subramaniyam , M. , Lee , H. et al. Driving Posture Measurement using 3D Scanning Measuring Technique SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 2 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1392