This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Automatic Seat-Dimension Extraction System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 5, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on the development and validation of an automated seat-dimension extraction system that can efficiently and reliably measure SAE J2732 (2008) seat dimensions from 3D seat scan data. The automated dimension-extraction process consists of four phases: (1) import 3D seat scan data along with seat reference information such as H-point location, back and cushion angles, (2) calculate centerline and lateral cross-section lines on the imported 3D seat scan data, (3) identify landmarks on the centerline and cross-section lines based on the SAE J2732 definitions, and (4) measure seat-dimensions using the identified landmarks. To validate the automated seat measurements, manually measured dimensions in a computer-aided-design (CAD) environment and automatically extracted ones in the current system were compared in terms of mean discrepancy and intra- and inter-observer standard deviations (SD). The automatically extracted seat-dimensions were more repeatable than those obtained with manual measurement in CAD. Automatically extracted seat-dimensions using the current system would be useful for evaluating or benchmarking seats for which design data is lacking
CitationPark, J., Ebert-Hamilton, S., Kim, K., Jones, M. et al., "Development of an Automatic Seat-Dimension Extraction System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1429, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1429.
- Kolich, M., “A conceptual framework proposed to formalize the scientific investigation of automobile seat comfort”. Applied Ergonomics, 39, 15-27, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.apergo.2007.01.003.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Devices for Use in Defining and Measuring Vehicle Seating Accommodation,” SAE Standard J826, Rev. Nov. 2008.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Motor Vehicle Dimensions,” SAE Standard J1100, Rev. Nov. 2009.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Motor Vehicle Seat Dimensions,” SAE Standard J2732, Rev. Jun. 2008.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “HPoint Machine (HPM-II) Specifications and Procedure for HPoint Determination - Auditing Vehicle Seats,” SAE Standard J4002, Rev. Jan. 2010.