This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Objective Structural Optimization of a Chassis Frame
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Optimization of a structure which is subjected to simultaneous multiple load cases starts with the investigation of worst possible load case combination. This is called conventional optimization approach, which can be considered impractical due to the excessive CPU times in the application of multiple load cases.
This computational difficulty can be overcome by deploying singular value decomposition (SVD) to find the worst possible load case against which the structure should be optimized. To this end, the SVD based optimization approach to optimization of a structure subject to simultaneous multiple load cases is presented. Conventional Multiobjective optimization and SVD based Multi-objective optimization approaches are applied to a sample Commercial Truck Chassis Frame structure for durability vs. weight objectives. This will enable designer to select the optimum design parameters out of the calculated Pareto sets. Accordingly, designer will have the flexibility to choose and test the selected design parameters against previously specified design requirements. It is shown that SVD based optimization approach has certain advantages over the conventional optimization technique in the existence of simultaneous multiple load cases.
This will be an application of multi-objective size optimization problem into a physical/real life engineering problem.
|Technical Paper||AUTOMOTIVE FRAME OPTIMIZATION|
|Technical Paper||On a Simulation Analysis Method of Automotive Frame using Direct Dynamic Stiffness Approach|
CitationTuran, A., "Multi-Objective Structural Optimization of a Chassis Frame," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1398, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1398.
- Rao , S. S. 1996 Engineering Optimization - Theory and Practice A Wiley-Interscience Publication John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York
- Sun , W. and Yuan Y. 2006 Optimization Theory and Methods - Nonlinear Programming Springer
- Nocedal , J. and Wright , S. J. 1999 Numerical Optimization Springer New York
- Lange K. 2004 Optimization Springer
- Floudas , C. A. and Pardalos , P. M. 2009 Encyclopedia of Optimization Springer
- Bhatti , M.A. 1998 Practical Optimization Methods with Mathematica Applications Springer-Verlag Newyork
- Rao , R. V. and Savsani . V. J. 2012 Mechanical Design Optimization Using Advanced Optimization Techniques Springer-Verlag London
- Bui , L.T. , Alam , S. 2008 Multi-Objective Optimization in Computational Intelligence: Theory and Practice Information Science Reference Newyork
- Ersoy , H , Mugan , A Design sensitivity analysis of structures based upon the singular value decomposition Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 2002 191 3459 3476
- Turan , A. , Mugan , A. Structural and sensitivity reanalyses based on singular value decomposition Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 2013 48 327 337
- Ersoy , H. Optimum laminate design by using singular value decomposition Composites Part B-Engineering 2013 52 144 154
- Adali , S. Pareto Optimal Design of Beams Subjected to Support Motions Computers and Structures 1983 16 297 303
- Horn R.A. and Johnson C.R. 1994 Topics in Matrix Analysis Cambridge University Press
- Golub GH , van Loan CF 1996 Matrix computations Johns Hopkins University
- Postlethwaite I , Edmunds JM , MacFarlane AGJ 1981 Principle gains and principle phases in the analysis of linear multivariable feedback systems IEEE Trans Automat Contr 39 32 46
- Yang X.S. 2010 Engineering Optimization An Introduction with Metaheuristic Applications Wiley New Jersey