This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Suspension System of Self-Dumping Truck Using TOPSIS-based Taguchi Method Coupled with Entropy Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study presents a hybrid optimization approach of TOPSIS-based Taguchi method and entropy measurement for the determination of the optimal suspension parameters to achieve an enhanced compromise among ride comfort, road friendliness which means the extent of damage exerted on the road by the vehicles, and handling stabilities of a self-dumping truck. Firstly, the full multi-body dynamic vehicle model is developed using software ADAMS/Car and the vehicle model is then validated through ride comfort road tests. The performance criterion for ride comfort evaluation is identified as root mean square (RMS) value of frequency weighted acceleration of cab floor, while the road damage coefficient is used for the evaluation of the road-friendliness of a whole vehicle. The lateral acceleration and roll angle of cab were defined as evaluation indices for handling stability performance. The spring stiffness and shock absorber damping of the front suspension, spring stiffness of the rear suspension, torsional stiffness of the front and rear anti-roll bar are taken as the design variables, which are considered at three levels. A L18 orthogonal array is applied to implement the simulations, and the TOPSIS is thus used to integrate all determined performance criteria of ride comfort, road friendliness and handling stability into a single performance index. Meanwhile, the weights of the quality characteristics are determined by employing the entropy measurement method. Furthermore, the best factor levels are identified according to the Taguchi method principles for single response optimization. Finally, the optimal combination of suspension parameters is confirmed to illustrate the effectiveness of the proposed hybrid optimization method.
CitationJiang, R. and Wang, D., "Optimization of Suspension System of Self-Dumping Truck Using TOPSIS-based Taguchi Method Coupled with Entropy Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1385, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1385.
- Cao D., Rakheja S. and Wang Z., “Urban Bus Driver Ride and Road-Friendliness. Part II: Subjective Suspension Damping Tuning and Objective Optimization,” International Journal of Vehicle Design. 57(4): 333-358, 2011, doi:10.1504/IJVD.2011.045770.
- Mahmoodi-Kaleibar M., Javanshir I., Asadi K., Afkar A., et al., “Optimization of Suspension System of Off-Road Vehicle for Vehicle Performance Improvement,” Journal of Central South University. 20(4): 902-910, 2013, doi:10.1007/s11771-013-1564-1.
- King M., “Stiffness-damping Matching Method of an ECAS System Based on LQG Control,” Journal of Central South University. 21(1): 439-446, 2014, doi:10.1007/s11771-014-1957-9.
- Thoresson M. J., “Mathematical Optimisation of the Suspension System of an Off-Road Vehicle for Ride Comfort and Handling,” Faculty of Engineering, University of Pretoria, 2003.
- Xiao J., Kulakowski B T., Cao M., “Active Air-suspension Design for Transit Buses,” International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems. 14(4): 421-440, 2007, doi:10.1504/IJHVS.2007.015710.
- Cao, D., Rakheja, S., and Su, C., "Optimal Damping Design of Heavy Vehicle with Interconnected Hydro-Pneumatic Suspension," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0584, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0584.
- Pang H., Li H. Y., Fang Z. D. and Wang J. F., “Stiffness Matching and Ride Comfort Optimization of Heavy Vehicle's Suspension Based on ADAMS,” Applied Mechanics and Materials. 44: 1734-1738, 2011,doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.44-47.1734.
- Afkar A., Mahmoodi-Kaleibar M., Paykani A., “Geometry Optimization of Double Wishbone Suspension System Via Genetic Algorithm for Handling Improvement,” Journal of Vibroengineering. 14(2): 827-837, 2012.
- Kang D. O., Heo S. J., Kim M. S., Choi W.C., et al., “Robust Design Optimization of Suspension System by Using Target Cascading Method,” International Journal of Automotive Technology. 13(1): 109-122, 2012, doi:10.1007/s12239-012-0010-y.
- Hwang, C. L., Yoon, K., “Multiple Attribute Decision Making: Methods and Applications,” Springer-Verlag, New York, 1981.
- Wang, T. C., and Lee, H. D., “Developing a Fuzzy TOPSIS Approach Based on Subjective Weights and Objective Weights,” Expert Systems with Applications. 36(5):8980-8985, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2008.11.035.
- Su T. L., Chen H. W., Lu C. F., “Systematic Optimization for the Evaluation of the Microinjection Molding Parameters of Light Guide Plate with TOPSIS - Based Taguchi Method,” Advances in Polymer Technology. 29(1): 54-63, 2010, doi:10.1002/adv.20181.
- Lu J. C., Yang T., Wang C. Y., “A Lean Pull System Design Analysed by Value Stream Mapping and Multiple Criteria Decision-Making Method Under Demand Uncertainty,” International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing. 24(3): 211-228, 2011, doi: 10.1080/0951192X.2010.551283.
- Ullah R., Zhou D. Q., Zhou P., et al., “An Approach for Space Launch Vehicle Conceptual Design and Multi-Attribute Evaluation,” Aerospace science and technology. 25(1): 65-74, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.ast.2011.12.008.
- Davoodi M. M., Sapuan S. M., Ahmad D., Aidy A., et al., “Concept Selection of Car Bumper Beam with Developed Hybrid Bio-Composite Material,” Materials & Design. 32(10): 4857-4865, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.matdes.2011.06.011.
- Şimşek B., İç Y. T., and Şimşek E. H., “A TOPSIS-based Taguchi Optimization to Determine Optimal Mixture Proportions of the High Strength Self-Compacting Concrete,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems. 125: 18-32, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.chemolab.2013.03.012.
- Chang H. C., and Chen H. Y., “Optimizing Product Form Attractiveness Using Taguchi Method and TOPSIS Algorithm: a Case Study Involving a Passenger Car,” Concurrent Engineering. 22(2): 135-147, 2014, doi:10.1177/1063293X13520317.
- Chen S., Wang D., Liu B., “Automotive Exterior Noise Optimization Using Grey Relational Analysis Coupled with Principal Component Analysis,” Fluctuation and Noise Letters. 12(03): 1350017, 2013, doi:10.1142/S021947751350017X.
- Jiang, R. and Wang, D., "Optimization of Vehicle Ride Comfort and Handling Stability Based on TOPSIS Method," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1348, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1348.
- Chen S., Guo Y., Wang D., et al., “Optimization of Low Noise Bionic Fan Using Gray Relational Analysis Coupled with Entropy Measurement,” Fluctuation and Noise Letters. 13(01): 1450005, 2014, doi:10.1142/S0219477514500059.
- Wang, D., Jiang, R., Liu H. and Xu C., “A Study on the Effect of Wheel Unbalance on the Ride Comfort of Dump Truck,” Automotive Engineering. 37(2): 219-223, 2015.
- Standardization Administration of the People’ Republic of China, “Method of Running Test-Automotive Ride Comfort,” China National Standard GB/T 4970-2009, Sep. 2009.
- Pable M. J., Seshu P., “Design of ‘Road Friendly’ Suspensions for Quarter and Half Heavy Goods Vehicle Models by Using Genetic Algorithm and a Multi-Objective Performance Index,” International Journal of Vehicle Systems Modelling and Testing. 7(1): 26-53, 2012, doi:10.1504/IJVSMT.2012.045310.