This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistical Tolerance Analysis of Flexible Assemblies with Contact Effects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the most important characteristics of industrial products, especially mechanical set-ups, is considering the tolerances of production and assembly of these set-ups, which directly influences the products’ operations. In sheet metal structures, due to the high flexibility of the sheets, the errors appeared while assembly will be as highly influential as the errors due to the production tolerance of the sheets. As a result, having a comprehensive model which could analyze the assembly process of these structures and also clarifies the relation between the tolerance of the parts and the ultimate changes of the set-up will be of considerable importance. During the assembly process, the contact effect between the components is inevitable. If such effect is not considered, the contact surfaces will permeate. The purpose of this paper is to present a method to analyze the tolerance of flexible sheet structures, considering the contact effect between surfaces. It is performed by the Method of Modified Influence Coefficients (MMIC) for calculating the outcome error appeared in the assembly set-up. To do so, the method has also been applicable for nonlinear contact problems by modifying the sensitivity matrix and proposing a statistical solution for the errors of the assembly setup. Finally the capabilities of the presented method have been investigated through analyzing an example of assembling two panels of an automobile body and the authenticity of the results has been validated by comparing with Monte Carlo simulation results.
CitationKhodaygan, S., Ghasemali, A., and Afrasiab, H., "Statistical Tolerance Analysis of Flexible Assemblies with Contact Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1380, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1380.
- Ding , Y. , Ceglarek , D. , and Shi , J. Modeling and Diagnosis of Multistage Manufacturing Processes: Part I: State Space Model JAPAN/USA SYMPOSIUM ON FLEXIBLE AUTOMATION 2000 USA 2000
- Mantripragada , R. , and Whitney , D. E. Modeling and Controlling Variation Propagation in Mechanical Assemblies Using State Transition Models IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation 15 1 124 140 1999 10.1109/ROBOT.1998.676376
- Liu , S. C. , and Hu , S. J. Variation Simulation for Deformable Sheet Metal Assemblies Using Finite Element Methods Journal of manufacturing science and engineering 119 3 368 374 1997 10.1115/1.2831115
- Camelio , J. , Hu , S. J. , and Ceglarek , D. Modeling Variation Propagation of Multi-Station Assembly Systems with Compliant Parts Journal of Mechanical Design 125 4 673 681 2003 10.1115/1.1631574
- Camelio , J. A. , Hu , S. J. , and Ceglarek , D. Impact of Fixture Design on Sheet Metal Assembly Variation Journal of Manufacturing Systems 23 3 182 193 2004 10.1016/S0278-6125(05)00006-3
- Camelio , J. A. , Hu , S. J. , and Marin , S. P. Compliant Assembly Variation Analysis Using Component Geometric Covariance Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 126 2 355 360 2004 10.1115/1.1644553
- Cai , W. W. , Hsieh , C.-C. , Long , Y. , Marin , S. P. et al. Digital Panel Assembly Methodologies and Applications for Compliant Sheet Components Journal of manufacturing science and engineering 128 1 270 279 2006 10.1115/1.2112967
- Dahlström , S. , and Lindkvist , L. Variation Simulation of Sheet Metal Assemblies Using the Method of Influence Coefficients with Contact Modeling Journal of manufacturing science and engineering 129 3 615 622 2007 10.1115/1.2714570
- Liao , X. , and Wang , G. G. Non-Linear Dimensional Variation Analysis for Sheet Metal Assemblies by Contact Modeling Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 44 1 34 44 2007 10.1016/j.finel.2007.08.009
- Xie , K. , Wells , L. , Camelio , J. A. and Youn , B. D. Variation Propagation Analysis on Compliant Assemblies Considering Contact Interaction Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 129 5 934 942 2007 10.1115/1.2752829
- Hashemian , S. A. , and Moetakef Imani , B. Nonlinear Variation Analysis of Compliant Sheet Metal Assemblies Including Effect of Surface Continuity in Components Applied Mechanics and Materials 532 503 509 2014 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.532.503
- Choi , W. , and Chung , H. Variation Simulation of Compliant Metal Plate Assemblies Considering Welding Distortion Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 137 3 031008 2015 10.1115/1.4029755
- Hills , D. A. , Nowell , D. , and Sackfield . A. Mechanics of Elastic Contact Butterworth-Heinemann Boston 1992 0-7506-0540-5
- Mijar , A. R. , and Arora , J.S. Review of Formulations for Elastostatic Frictional Contact Problems Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 20 3 167 189 2000 10.1007/s001580050147
- Stavroulaki , M. E. , and Stavroulakis , G. E. Unilateral Contact Applications Using Fem Software APPLIED MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE 12 115 125 2002