This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Criticality of Tube Bending Through CAE Understanding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tube bends are critical in an exhaust system. The acceptability of tube bends is based on the induced level of shape imperfections considered. An analysis is presented for the performance tuning of the genetic algorithm including the importance of raw material selection, ovality and elongation property. This study is an attempt to analyze the ovality effect of STAC 60/60 material. CAE tools are essential to exploit the design of experiments and find out the optimum values of the design parameters in comparison with full factorial designs.
Especially the effects of materials, dimensions and geometry shape of the ultimate strength were discussed by both CAE and experiments. The ultimate strength of steel tube was evaluated at least 20-30% as a local strain independent of the materials. The dependency of ultimate bending angle on original centre angle of the tube bend was clarified.
The finite element method is used to model and analyze a stand-alone, long-radius tube bend with 50.8 mm nominal diameter and a 100 mm bend radius with specified length. The computed results are compared and the effects of total deflection and stresses of the tube bends are noted. The final objective of this paper is to optimize the allowable design strain or deformation of particular steel tube bend from the standard design tolerances.
CitationRajadurai, S. and Mani, G., "Criticality of Tube Bending Through CAE Understanding," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1366, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1366.
- Patel. B. P. , Munot. C. S. , Gupta. S. S. , Sambandam C.T. and Gunapathi. M. 2004 Application of Higher Order Finite Element for Elastic Stability Analysis of Laminated Cross-Ply Oval Cylindrical Shells Finite Elem. Anal. Design 40 1083 1104
- Cherniy. V.P. 2001 Effect of Curved Bar Properties on Bending of Curved Tubes Journal of Applied Mechanics 68 650 655
- Hyde. T.H. , Sun. W. Williams J.A. 2002 Life estimation of pressurized tube bends using steady-state creep reference rupture stresses International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 79 799 805
- Cherniy. V. P. 2003 The Bending of Curved Tubes with Variable Wall Thickness Journal of Applied Mechanics 70 253 259
- Von Karman T. Uber die formanderung dunnwandiger rohere, insbesondere federnder ausgleichrohre Z Vereines Dtsch Ing 1910 55 1889 95
- Numerical evaluation. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 191 2887 2904 Nayyar. M. L. 2000 Piping handbook 7th McGraw-Hill A269
- Xue-tong LI , Min-ting WANG , Feng-shan DU and Zhiqiang XU 2006 FEM Simulation of Large Diameter Pipe Bending Using Local Heating Journal of Iron and Steel Research, International 13 5 25 29