This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determining the Vertical and Longitudinal First Mode of Vibration of a Wide Base FEA Truck Tire
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study is to determine the effect of tire operating conditions, such as the tire inflation pressure, speed, and load on the change of the first mode of vibration. A wide base FEA tire (445/50R22.5) is virtually tested on a 2.5m diameter circular drum with a 10mm cleat using PAM-Crash code. The varying parameters are altered separately and are as follows: inflation pressure, varying from 50 psi to 165 psi, rotational speed, changing from 20 km/h to 100 km/h, and the applied load will fluctuate from 1,500 lbs. to 9000 lbs. Through a comparison of previous literature, the PAM-Crash FFT algorithmic results have been validated.
CitationLardner, K., El-Gindy, M., Oijer, F., Johansson, I. et al., "Determining the Vertical and Longitudinal First Mode of Vibration of a Wide Base FEA Truck Tire," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1308, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1308.
- Wong J. Y., Theory of Ground Vehicles 3rd Edition, Toronto : John Wiley & Sons, Inc. , 2001.
- Kindt P., Sas P. and Desmet W., "Three-dimesnional Ring Model for the Prediction of the Tyre structural Dynamic Behaviour," Procedings of ISMA2008, pp. 4155-4170, 2008.
- Reid A. C., "Development and Optamization of a Wide Base FEA Truck Tire Model for Prediction of Tire-Road Interactions," Univerity of Onario Institute of Technology, Oshawa, Ontario, 2015.
- Gonzalez C. D., Vercammen S., Kindt P. and Middelberg J. C., "Experimetnal Characteristics of the Dynamic Vehaviour of Rolling Tires," in ISMA 2012-USD2012, Luxembourg, 2012.
- Chiesa A., Obert L. and Tamburini L., "Transmission of Tire Vibrations," Automobile Engineer, vol. 54, no. Dec, pp. 520-530, 1964.
- Barson C. W., macrombe A. W. and Macrombe A. W., "Some Aspects of Tire and Vehicle Vibration Testing," Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineers, vol. 182, no. No. 3B, p. 32, 1967-68.
- Barson C. W. and Dodd A. M., "Vibrational Characteristics of Tires," Institute of Mechanical Engineers, no. paper C94/71, p. 12, 1971.
- Potts G. R. and Csora T. T., "Tire Vibration Studies: The State of the Art," Tire Science and Technology, vol. 3, no. No. 3, pp. 196-210, 1975.
- Pacejka H., "Analysis of Tire Properties," Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires, edited by Clark, Published by the U.S. Department of Transportation, 1981.
- Takayama M. and Yamagishi K., "Simulation Model of Tire Vibration," Tire Science and Technology, vol. 1, no. No. 1, pp. 38-49, 1984.
- Kung L. E., Soedel W. and Yang T. Y., "Free Vibration of a Pneumatic Tire-Wheel Unit Using a Ring on anElastic Foundation and a Finite Elemeny Model," Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 207, no. 2, pp. 181-194, 1986.
- Ellis J. R., Vehicle Handling Dyanmics, London : Published by Mechanical Engineering Publications Limited , 1994.
- Huang S. C., "The Vibration of Rolling Tires in Ground Contact," International Journal of Vehicle Design, vol. 13, no. No. 1, pp. 78-95, 1992.
- Scavuzzo R. W., Richards T. R. and Charek L. T., "Tire Vibration Modes and Effects on Vehicle Ride Quality," Tire science and Technology,. 21, no. 1, pp. 23-29, 1993.
- Nakajima Y., Angelache G. and Stanesch A., "Finite Element Analysis and Experimetnal Analysis of Natural Frequencies and Mode Shapes for a Non-Rotating TIre," Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 27, pp. 221-224, 1997.
- Negrus, E., Anghelache, G., and Sorohan, S., "Tire Radial Vibrations at High Speed of Rolling," SAE Technical Paper 980260, 1998, doi:10.4271/980260.
- Byoung S. K., Chang H. C. and Tae K. L., "A Study on Radial Directional Natural Frequency and Damping Ratio in a Vehicle Tire," Applied Acoustics, vol. 68, pp. 538-556, 2007.
- Chang Y. P., Nonlineat Rotating Tire Modeling for Transient Response Simulations, Ph. D. Thesis, Univerity Park, PA, 2002.
- Chae S., Nonlineat Finite Element Modeling And Analysis of A Truck Tire A Thesis in Materials, Pennsylvania: The Pennsylvania State Univeristy, 2006, p. 206.
- Chatterjee A. and Ranjan V., "Free Vivration Analysis of Radial Pneumatic Tire Using FEM," International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advnaced Engineering, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 319-324, 2012.
- Marjani M., El-Gindy M., Phillips D., Oijer F. and Hohansson I., "FEA Tire Modeling and Validation Techniques, DETC2015-46514," in Proceedings of the ASME 2015 International Design Engineering TEchnical COnferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Confrence IDETC/CIE 2015, Boston, MA, USA, 2015.
- "Investigation of Tyre Vibration," [Online]. Available: https://www.tut.fi/ms/muo/tyreschool/moduulit/moduuli_8/hypertext_2/1/1_3.html#1_3_4. [Accessed 13 01 2015].
- MathWorks, "FAst Fourier Transform (FFT)," Math Works , 1994-2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/math/fast-fourier-transform-fft.html. [Accessed 11 01 2016].
- Zegelaar P. W. A. and Pacejka H. B., "Dynamic Tyre Responses to Brake Torque Variations," Vehicle System Dynamics: International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics, vol. 27, pp. 65-79, 1997.
- Takayama M. and Yamahishi K., "Simulation Model of Tire Vibration," Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 38-49, 1984.
- Morello L., Rossini L. R., Pia G. and Tonoli A., "Noise, Vibration, Harshness," in Automotive Body, New York, Springer, 2011, p. 574.
- D'Antona G. and Ferrero A., Digital Signal Processing for Measuremnt Systems Theory and Applications, New York: Springer, 2006.
- Lines A. J., "The Suspension Characteristics of Agricultural Tractor Tyres," Cranfield Institute of Technology Silsoe College, 1991.