This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of a Conventional Mid-Size Car with CVT Using ALPHA and Comparable Powertrain Technologies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Advanced Light-Duty Powertrain and Hybrid Analysis (ALPHA) tool was created by EPA to evaluate the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions of Light-Duty (LD) vehicles . ALPHA is a physics-based, forward-looking, full vehicle computer simulation capable of analyzing various vehicle types combined with different powertrain technologies. The software tool is a MATLAB/Simulink based desktop application. The ALPHA model has been updated from the previous version to include more realistic vehicle behavior and now includes internal auditing of all energy flows in the model . As a result of the model refinements and in preparation for the mid-term evaluation (MTE) of the 2022-2025 LD GHG emissions standards, the model is being revalidated with newly acquired vehicle data.
In the effort to model the current and future US Light-Duty fleet there are times when complete and exact engine and powertrain component data are unavailable and must be approximated using components with comparable levels of performance and technology. This paper presents the testing and ALPHA modeling of a CVT-equipped 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5S using comparable powertrain technology inputs. A brief overview of recent improvements in CVT performance and efficiency is provided. ALPHA’s CVT shift strategy, ALPHAshift-CVT, is introduced and its performance is compared with data from the Altima. Fuel economy and carbon emissions results over a wide range of drive cycles were within 5% of measured values and the city/highway weighted combined fuel economy and carbon emissions were within approximately 1% of measured values, providing confidence in the proxy powertrain approach.
CitationNewman, K., Doorlag, M., and Barba, D., "Modeling of a Conventional Mid-Size Car with CVT Using ALPHA and Comparable Powertrain Technologies," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1141, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1141.
- Lee , B. , Lee , S. , Cherry , J. , Neam , A. et al. Development of Advanced Light-Duty Powertrain and Hybrid Analysis Tool SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0808 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0808
- Newman , K. , Dekraker , P. , Zhang , H. , Sanchez , J. et al. Development of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Model (GEM) for Heavy- and Medium-Duty Vehicle Compliance SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 8 2 388 309 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2771
- US EPA, DOT/NHTSA Final Rulemaking to Establish Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards, Joint Technical Support Document http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/regulations/420r10901.pdf Apr. 2010
- US EPA Test Car List Data Files http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/tcldata.htm Jan. 2016
- Newman , K. , Kargul , J. , and Barba , D. Benchmarking and Modeling of a Conventional Mid-Size Car Using ALPHA SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1140 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1140
- US EPA, DOT/NHTSA Computer Simulation of Light-Duty Vehicle Technologies for Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction in the 2020-2025 Timeframe http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/climate/documents/420r11020.pdf Dec. 2011
- Development of CVT for 2008 Model Year FIT Article of Honda R&D Technical Review 20 2 https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=176&lang=en
- Inukai , K. , Shibahara , A. , Uchino , T. , Keiichi , N. et al. Development of High-Efficiency New CVT for Midsize Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0365 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0365
- Maruyama , F. , Kojima , M. , and Kanda , T. Development of New CVT for Compact Car SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1091 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1091
- Ando , T. , Yagasaki , T. , Ichijo , S. , Sakagami , K. et al. Improvement of Transmission Efficiency in CVT Shifting Mechanism Using Metal Pushing V-Belt SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 1391 1397 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1103
- Lee , H. , Cho , T. , Won , C. , and Kim , B. A Study on Clamping Force Control in Pulley of CVT for Fuel Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1736 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1736
- Aoyama , T. , Takahara , H. , Kuwabara , S. , Miyata , H. et al. Development of New Generation Continuously Variable Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1728 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1728
- Shimokawa , Y. Technology Development to Improve Jatco CVT8 Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0364 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0364
- Soya , H. , Yoshida , M. , Imai , K. , Miura , Y. et al. Development of High Torque Capacity Variator System for CVT SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1729 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1729
- Argonne National Laboratory 2013 Nissan Altima http://www.anl.gov/energy-systems/group/downloadable-dynamometer-database/conventional-vehicles/2013-nissan-altima 2015
- Newman , K. , Kargul , J. , and Barba , D. Development and Testing of an Automatic Transmission Shift Schedule Algorithm for Vehicle Simulation SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1142
- Hattori , K. , Toyoda , S. , Inoue , D. , and Shimozato , Y. Development of Ratio Control System for Toyota's New Continuously Variable Transmission SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 6 1 144 151 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0367
- Tawara , M. , Sata , A. , Sakamoto , N. , Oishi , T. et al. Development of Driving Force Control Technology of CVT for North American Market SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1730 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1730