This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sensitivity Analysis of the Design Parameters of a Dual-Clutch Transmission Focused on NVH Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a methodology for the assessment of the NVH (noise vibration and harshness) performance of Dual Clutch Transmissions (DCTs) depending on some transmission design parameters, e.g. torsional backlash in the synchronizers or clutch disc moment of inertia, during low speed maneuvers.
A 21-DOFs nonlinear dynamic model of a C-segment passenger car equipped with a DCT is used to simulate the torsional behavior of the driveline and to estimate the forces at the bearings. The impacts between the teeth of two engaging components, e.g. gears and synchronizers, generate impulses in the forces, thus loading the bearings with force time-history characterized by rich frequency content. A broadband excitation is therefore applied to the gearbox case, generating noise and vibration issues.
The metric used to assess the severity of a specific test and to compare, at least qualitatively, the NVH performance related to different design parameters sets, is based on the RMS (root-meansquare) value of each bearing force time-history. Variations from one test to another allow assessing the benefit introduced by specific design parameter modifications. Applications of the proposed methodology aimed at evaluating the effects of reducing the clutch discs moment of inertia, the synchronizers backlash and the internal backlash in the differential are presented.
Finally the paper shows that results not only depend on the gearbox design but also on the specific maneuver chosen to excite the dynamic system under test: a clear trend may be seen in some cases while only negligible effects are observed in other conditions.
|Technical Paper||Design of an Active Vehicle System for a Hybrid Race Car|
|Technical Paper||NVH Improvement of Vehicle Powertrain|
|Technical Paper||Torque Vectoring of a Formula SAE through Semi Active Differential Control|
CitationGalvagno, E., Guercioni, G., and Vigliani, A., "Sensitivity Analysis of the Design Parameters of a Dual-Clutch Transmission Focused on NVH Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1127, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1127.
- Walker , P. , Zhang , N. , Jeyakamuran , J. , Tamba , R. et al. Recent (2007) advancements in dual clutch transmission modelling and simulation 37th Int. Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering October 2008 Shanghai, China
- Kulkarni M. , Shim T. and Zhang Y. Shift Dynamics and Control of Dual-Clutch Transmissions Mechanism and Machine Theory 42 168 182 2007
- Galvagno , E. , Velardocchia , M , Vigliani , A. Dynamic and kinematic model of a dual clutch transmission Mechanism and Machine Theory 46 6 June 2011 794 805 0094-114X 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2011.01.013
- Rondinelli , E. , Velardocchia , M. , Galvagno , E. Electromechanical transmission modelling for series-hybrid tracked tanks International Journal Of Heavy Vehicle Systems 19 03 256 280 1744-232X
- Galvagno , E. , Morina , D. , Sorniotti , A. , Velardocchia , M. Drivability analysis of through-the-road-parallel hybrid vehicles Meccanica March 2013 48 2 351 366 10.1007/s11012-012-9606-6
- Sorniotti , A. , Galvagno , E. , Morgando , A. , Velardocchia , M. et al. An Objective Evaluation of the Comfort During the Gear Change Process SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1584 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1584
- Chen , M. , Wang , D. , Lee , H. , Jiang , C. et al. Application of CAE in Design Optimization of a Wet Dual Cutch Transmission and Driveline SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 3 1128 1137 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1755
- Brancati , R. , Rocca , E. , Russo , R. A gear rattle model accounting for oil squeeze between the meshing gear teeth Proceedings of IMechE-PartD, Journal of Automobile Engineering 219 9 2005 1075 1083
- Russo , R. , Brancati , R. , Rocca , E. Experimental investigations about the influence of oil lubricant between teeth on the gear rattle phenomenon Journal of Sound and Vibration 321 3-5 10 April 2009 647 661 0022-460X 10.1016/j.jsv.2008.10.008
- Brancati , R. , Rocca , E. , Savino , S. A gear rattle metric based on the wavelet multi-resolution analysis: Experimental investigation Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 50-51 January 2015 161 173 0888-3270 10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.05.018
- Zhang , Z. , Pang , J. , Li , H. , Yang , X. et al. Study Of Dual-Clutch Transmission Gear Rattle Under Low Speed Driving Condition ICSV22 Florence (Italy) 12-16 July 2015
- Krenz , R. Vehicle Response to Throttle Tip-In/Tip-Out SAE Technical Paper 850967 1985 10.4271/850967
- Walker , P. D. , Zhang , N. Investigation of synchroniser engagement in dual clutch transmission equipped powertrains Journal of Sound and Vibration 331 6 2012 1398 1412 10.1016/j.jsv.2011.11.005
- Pacejka , H.B. Tyre and vehicle dynamics 2006 Butterworth, Stoneham
- Canudas de Wit , C. , Olsson , H. , Astrom , K.J. , Lischinsky , P. A new model for control of systems with friction IEEE Trans. Automatic Control 40 3 1995 419 425
- SKF Industrie S.p.A. SKF rolling bearings catalogue 2006