This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Cost Optimization of Engine Emissions for an Intake Runner Designed for Medium Capacity CI Engine through Correlations between Emission Values and Intake Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The energy crisis coupled with depleting fuel reserves and rising emission levels has encouraged research in the fields of performance enhancement, emission reduction technologies and engineering designs. The present paper aims primarily to offset the problem of high emissions and low efficiencies in low cost CI engines used as temporary power solutions on a large scale. The investigation relates to the low cost optimization of an intake runner having the ability to vary the swirl ratio within the runner. Test runs reveal that NOx and CO2 follow a relatively smaller gradient of rise and fall in their values depending on the configuration; whereas UHC and CO have a rapid changes in values with larger gradients. However, in a relative analysis, no configuration was able to simultaneously reduce all emission parameters and thus, there exists a necessity to find an optimized configuration as a negotiation between the improved and deteriorated parameters. This arrangement would enable to find a reduced BSFC with an optimized emission parameter without adding any overhead costs for emission reduction techniques and push the potential of current technologies to meet the stringent emission norms. Rigorous data collection was performed which helped to establish a mathematical relation between the configuration and the emission parameter values taken one at a time. Thus, a mathematical relation by basic curve fitting technique on a commercial mathematical software was established and optimized for a set of discrete load values. In addition to the optimization process, the analysis also helps understand and determine a practical correlation between swirl parameters and engine emissions for engineering applications. Since the design is capable of changing configurations during engine running operations, the applicability is enhanced for all load values if sufficient data is determined and the process is repeated.
CitationSingh, S., Asthana, S., Singhal, S., and Kumar, N., "Low Cost Optimization of Engine Emissions for an Intake Runner Designed for Medium Capacity CI Engine through Correlations between Emission Values and Intake Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1004, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1004.
- BP statistical review of world energy 2014 ; http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/pdf/Energy-economics/statistical-review-2014/BP-statistical-review-of-world-energy-2014-full-report.pdf
- The outlook for energy : A view to 2040 ; http://cdn.exxonmobil.com/∼/media/Reports/Outlook%20For%20Energy/2014/2014-Outlook-for-Energy.pdf
- de la Rue du Can Stephane, Price Lynn, ZwickelTimm, Understanding the full climate change impact of energy consumption and mitigation at the end-use level: A proposed methodology for allocating indirect carbon dioxide emissions, Applied Energy, Volume 159, 1 December 2015, Pages 548-559, ISSN 0306-2619, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.08.055.
- Demir Abdullah, Investigation of Air Quality in the Underground and Aboveground Multi-Storey Car Parks in Terms of Exhaust Emissions, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 195, 3 July 2015, Pages 2601-2611, ISSN 1877-0428, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.06.461.
- Hammerle, R., Ketcher, D., Horrocks, R., Lepperhoff, G. et al., "Emissions from Current Diesel Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 942043, 1994, doi:10.4271/942043.
- Seagrave, J., Mauderly, J., Zielinska, B., Sagebiel, J. et al., "Comparative Toxicity of Gasoline and Diesel Engine Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2214, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2214.
- Morgadinho Luís, Oliveira Carla, Martinho Ana, A qualitative study about perceptions of European automotive sector's contribution to lower greenhouse gas emissions, Journal of Cleaner Production, Volume 106, 1 November 2015, Pages 644-653, ISSN 0959-6526, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.01.096.
- Subramanian V., Mallikarjuna J.M., Ramesh A., Effect of water injection and spark timing on the nitric oxide emission and combustion parameters of a hydrogen fuelled spark ignition engine, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 32, Issue 9, June 2007, Pages 1159-1173, ISSN 0360-3199, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2006.07.022.
- Squaiella Lucas Lázaro Ferreira, Martins CristianeAparecida, Lacava Pedro T., Strategies for emission control in diesel engine to meet Euro VI, Fuel, Volume 104, February 2013, Pages 183-193, ISSN 0016-2361, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2012.07.027.
- Journal Article 2008 1229-9138 International Journal of Automotive Technology 9 6 10.1007/s12239-008-0077-7 Effect of intake valve swirl on fuel-gas mixing and subsequent combustion in a CAI engine http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12239-008-0077-7 The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers 2008-12-01 CAI (Controlled Auto-Ignition) NVO (Negative Valve Overlap) IEGR (Internal Exhaust Gas Recirculation)Swirl ratio Kim A, Kim J.N., Yoon H.Y., Sa S.S., S.D. 649-657
- Agarwal Avinash Kumar, Srivastava Dhananjay Kumar, AtulDhar, Maurya Rakesh Kumar, Shukla Pravesh Chandra, Singh AkhilendraPratap, Effect of fuel injection timing and pressure on combustion, emissions and performance characteristics of a single cylinder diesel engine, Fuel, Volume 111, September 2013, Pages 374-383, ISSN 0016-2361, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2013.03.016.
- Korakianitis T., Namasivayam A.M., Crookes R.J., Natural-gas fueled spark-ignition (SI) and compression-ignition (CI) engine performance and emissions, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Volume 37, Issue 1, February 2011, Pages 89-112, ISSN 0360-1285, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2010.04.002.
- Can Özer, İsmetÇelikten, NazımUsta, Effects of ethanol addition on performance and emissions of a turbocharged indirect injection Diesel engine running at different injection pressures, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 45, Issues 15-16, September 2004, Pages 2429-2440, ISSN 0196-8904, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2003.11.024.
- Zheng Ming, Reader Graham T., Hawley J.Gary, Diesel engine exhaust gas recirculation--a review on advanced and novel concepts, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 45, Issue 6, April 2004, Pages 883-900, ISSN 0196-8904, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(03)00194-8.
- JaffarHussain, Palaniradja K., Alagumurthi N., Manimaran R., Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) on Performance and Emission characteristics of a Three Cylinder Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine, Alexandria Engineering Journal, Volume 51, Issue 4, December 2012, Pages 241-247, ISSN 1110-0168, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2012.09.004.
- Abd-Alla G.H., Using exhaust gas recirculation in internal combustion engines: a review, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 43, Issue 8, May 2002, Pages 1027-1042, ISSN 0196-8904, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(01)00091-7.
- Ma Xiaokang, Zhang Fujun, Han Kai, Zhu Zhenxia, Liu Yangyang, Effects of Intake Manifold Water Injection on Combustion and Emissions of Diesel Engine, Energy Procedia, Volume 61, 2014, Pages 777-781, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.963.
- Hassan Mohamed I., Brimmo Ayoola T., Modeling In-Cylinder Water Injection in a 2-Stroke Internal Combustion Engine, Energy Procedia, Volume 75, August 2015, Pages 2331-2336, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.435.
- Saad Idris, Bari S., Hossain S.N., In-Cylinder Air Flow Characteristics Generated by Guide Vane Swirl and Tumble Device to Improve Air-Fuel Mixing in Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel, Procedia Engineering, Volume 56, 2013, Pages 363-368, ISSN 1877-7058, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2013.03.133.
- Bari S., Saad Idris, Effect of guide vane height on the performance and emissions of a compression ignition (CI) engine run with biodiesel through simulation and experiment, Applied Energy, Volume 136, 31 December 2014, Pages 431-444, ISSN 0306-2619, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.09.051.
- Saad Idris, Bari Saiful, Guide Vane Swirl and Tumble Device to Improve in-cylinder Air Flow of CI Engine Using Vegetable Oil, Procedia Engineering, Volume 90, 2014, Pages 425-430, ISSN 1877-7058, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.11.872.
- Bari S., Saad Idris, CFD modelling of the effect of guide vane swirl and tumble device to generate better in-cylinder air flow in a CI engine fuelled by biodiesel, Computers & Fluids, Volume 84, 15 September 2013, Pages 262-269, ISSN 0045-7930, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2013.06.011.
- Bari S., Saad Idris, Performance and emissions of a compression ignition (CI) engine run with biodiesel using guide vanes at varied vane angles, Fuel, Volume 143, 1 March 2015, Pages 217-228, ISSN 0016-2361, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2014.11.050.
- Stone, R, Introduction To Internal Combustion Engines, Macmillan, 1992
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Pulkrabek, Willard W. 1997. Engineering fundamentals of the internal combustion engine. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- Han Sangwook, Kim Jaeheun, Bae Choongsik, Effect of air- fuel mixing quality on characteristics of conventional and low temperature diesel combustion, Applied Energy, Volume 119, 15 April 2014, Pages 454-466, ISSN 0306-2619, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.12.045.