This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Adapting Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) Methodology for Diesel Lean NOx Trap (LNT) Catalyst Screening
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to meet LEV III, EURO 6C and Beijing 6 emission levels, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) can potentially implement unique aftertreatment systems solutions which meet the varying legislated requirements. The availability of various washcoat substrates and PGM loading and ratio options, make selection of an optimum catalyst system challenging, time consuming and costly.
Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methodologies have been used in industry since the 1990s. One of the earliest applications was at Motorola where the methodology was applied to the design and production of a paging device which Consumer Reports called “virtually defect-proof”. Since then, the methodology has evolved to not only encapsulate complicated “Variation Optimization” but also “Design Optimization” where multiple factors are in play.
In this study, attempts are made to adapt the DFSS concept and methodology to identify and optimize a catalyst for diesel applications. Lean NOx Trap (LNT) was selected as the catalyst of choice as it could become a development choice in future aftertreatment architecture for above-mentioned emission levels and cold start improvements. Catalysts from multiple washcoat manufacturers’ current production were acquired. Factors such as washcoat type, PGM loading, ratio and component aging were investigated. Catalyst performance was optimized under a specific set of testing conditions.
The study proved that the DFSS methodology is a powerful tool that can be adapted for screening large number of catalysts in a relatively short period of time with reduced number of tests, under identical conditions with promising results.
CitationAhari, H., Smith, M., Zammit, M., and Walker, B., "Adapting Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) Methodology for Diesel Lean NOx Trap (LNT) Catalyst Screening," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0953, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0953.
- Chowdhury Design for Six Sigma Dearborn Trade Publishing 2002
- Ahari , H. , Smith , M. , Zammit , M. , Price , K. et al. Impact of SCR Integration on N2O Emissions in Diesel Application, SAE Int. J. Passenger Cars-Mech. Syst. 8 2 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1034
- Alwerfalli Daw and Lash Trevor Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) as a Proactive Business Process Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Istanbul, Turkey July 3, 2012
- Hsu Jun , Kunihiro Ayako , Yasin Anwer , Nagumo Hiroshige , Tajima Toumaru and Sugimoto Kousei Development of a Robust Design Approach for Occupant Protection Performance in Frontal Impact using Design For Six Sigma SAE Technical Paper, 2007-01-0992 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0992
- Sharma Naresh Kumar , and Ragsdell Kenneth M. Quality Loss Function - Common Methodology for Nominal-The-Best, Smaller-The-Better, and Larger-The-Better Cases SAE Technical Paper, 2007-01-0797 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0797
- Biondo William , Griffin Jill Improving a Vehicle Theft Deterrent System’s Communication, Using Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) SAE Technical Paper, 2007-01-0800 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0800
- Theis Joseph R. , Ura Justin A. , John Li J. , Gopichandra Surnilla G. , Roth John M. , Goralski Christian T. NOx Release Characteristics of Lean NOx Traps During Rich Purges SAE Technical Paper, 2003-01-1159 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1159
- Brogan M. S. , Clark A. D. , Brisley R. J. Recent Progress in NOx Trap Technology SAE Technical Paper, 980933 10.4271/980933
- Chakravarthy Kalyana , Daw C. S. , Lenox K. E. Key Characteristics of the Sorption Process in Lean NOx Traps SAE Technical Paper, 2003-01-3246 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3246
- Kim , K. and Cho , S. The Emission Development for Lean NOx Trap System to Meet Tier2Bin5, SAE Technical Paper, 2010-01-0566 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0566
- Yang Kai , EI-Haik Basem Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development McGraw-Hill Education 2008 978-0071547673
- Taguchi G. , Chowdhury S. , Wu Y. Taguchi’s Quality Engineering Handbook John Wiley & Sons Inc. Hoboken, New Jersey 2005 978-0471413349
- Taguchi G. , Konishi S. Taguchi Methods Orthogonal Arrays and Linear Graphs American Supplier Institute, Inc. Dearborn, Michigan 1987 978-0941243018