This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology to Determine the Effective Volume of Gasoline Particulate Filter Technology on Criteria Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
New Particulate Matter (PM) and Particulate Number (PN) regulations throughout the world have created a need for aftertreatment solutions that include particulate control as an option to comply with the legislation. However, limitations in other criteria emissions cannot be sacrificed to accomplish the reduction of PM/PN.
For this work, three-way washcoat catalyzed wall-flow Gasoline Particulate Filters (GPF) and similarly catalyzed flow-through catalysts of common defined volume were tested. Their catalytic performance was determined by measuring NOx, CO and HC conversion efficiencies and CO2 levels over the U.S. Federal Test Procedure 75 (FTP-75) and US06 Supplemental Federal Test Procedure (US06) cycles. Analysis of the impact on CO2 emissions was also evaluated in relation to backpressure from 1-D modeling analysis. All exhaust systems used the same loading and ratio of Platinum Group Metals (PGM), but employed different cell structures in their substrates.
It was observed that replacing the flow-through catalyst with a catalyzed GPF, negatively impacted the system conversion efficiency yielding less effective catalyst volume with varying Geometric Surface Area. This reduction in efficiency necessitates higher volume composition to reach the same conversion efficiency over the regulated drive cycles. As expected, CO2 emissions were found to increase with increasing backpressure for the flow-through and GPF components tested. A method was devised and developed to optimize the integration of a coated GPF into an aftertreatment system for criteria emissions performance while limiting CO2 impacts.
|Technical Paper||Application of Pre-DPF Water Injection Technique for Pressure Drop Limitation|
|Journal Article||Lubricant-Derived Ash Impact on Gasoline Particulate Filter Performance|
CitationReghunathan Nair, A., Schubring, B., Premchand, K., Brocker, A. et al., "Methodology to Determine the Effective Volume of Gasoline Particulate Filter Technology on Criteria Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0936, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0936.
- Joshi , S. Y. , Harold , M. , and Balakotaiah V. Overall mass transfer coefficients and controlling regimes in catalytic monoliths Chemical Engineering Science 65 2010 1729 1747
- Faghri , A. , Zhang , Y. Transport Phenomena in Multiphase Systems Elsevier Burlington, MA 2006
- Faghri , A. , Zhang , Y. , Howell , J. Advanced Heat and Mass Transfer Global Digital Press Columbia, MO 2010
- Mills , A. 1999 Basic Heat and Mass Transfer 2nd Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, NJ
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 216 234 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0368
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 699 715 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0538
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 7 3 1207 1227 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1491
- Johnson , T. Review of Vehicular Emissions Trends SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 1152 1167 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0993
- Hedge , M. , Weber , P. , Gingrich , J. , Alger , T. et al. Effect of EGR on Particle Emissions from a GDI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 650 666 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0636
- Khalek , I. , Bougher , T. , and Jetter , J. Particle Emissions from a 2009 Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Using Different Commercially Available Fuels SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 623 637 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2117
- Chan , T. , Meloche , E. , Kubsh , J. , Rosenblatt , D. et al. Evaluation of a Gasoline Particulate Filter to Reduce Particle Emissions from a Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1277 1290 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1727
- Su , J. , Lin , W. , Sterniak , J. , Xu , M. , Bohac , S. Particulate Matter Emissions Comparison of Spark Direct Injection (SIDI), and Port Fuel Injection (PFI) Operation of a Boosted Gasoline Engine Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 2014 136
- Gong , J. , and Rutland , C. Filtration Characteristics of Fuel Neutral Particulates Using A Heterogeneous Multi-Scale Filtration Model ASME Paper ICEF2014-5590
- Saito , C. , Nakatani , T. , Miyairi , Y. , Yuuki , K. et al. New Particulate Filter Concept to Reduce Particle Number Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0814 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0814
- Shimoda , T. , Ito , Y. , Saito , C. , Nakatani , T. et al. Potential of a Low Pressure Drop Filter Concept for Direct Injection Gasoline Engines to Reduce Particulate Number Emission SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1241 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1241
- Ito , Y. , Shimoda , T. , Aoki , T. , Shibagaki , Y. et al. Advanced Ceramic Wall Flow Filter for Reduction of Particulate Number Emission of Direct Injection Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0836 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0836
- Hashimoto , S. , Miyairi , Y. , Hamanaka , T. , Matsubara , R. et al. SiC and Cordierite Diesel Particulate Filters Designed for Low Pressure Drop and Catalyzed, Uncatalyzed Systems SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0322 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0322
- Heck , R. , Farrauto , R. , and Gulati S. Catalytic Air Pollution Control: Commercial Technology Third 2009 Wiley & Sons, Inc
- Zammit , M. , Wuttke , J. , Ravindran , P. , and Aaltonen , S. The Effects of Catalytic Converter Location and Palladium Loading on Tailpipe Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1247 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1247
- Klauer , Norbert , Christoph Zulch , Christian Schwarz , and Erik Schunemann The New BMW Turbocharged SULEV Four-Cylinder Gasoline Engine ATZ Online May 2012
- Kang , S. , Han , S. , Nam , I. , Cho , B. , Kim , C. , and Oh S. Detailed Reaction Kinetics for Double-Layered Pd/Rh Bimetallic TWC Monolith Catalysts Chemical Engineering Journal 241 2014 273 287
- Ramanathan , K. and Sharma C. Kinetic Parameters Estimation for Three Way Catalyst Modeling Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2011 50 9960 9979
- Johnson , S. , Croswell , P. , and Smith , M. Zone Length Optimization to Improve PGM Utility SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1508 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1508
- Aoki , Y. , Sakagami , S. , Kawai , M. , Takahashi , N. et al. Development of Advanced Zone-Coated Three-Way Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0296 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0296
- Premchand , K. A Numerical and Experimental Study of the Effect of Introducing a Gasoline Particulate Filter to the Aftertreatment System on Engine Performance presented at Emissions 2015 Troy, MI June 2015
- Ammann , M. , Geering , H. , Onder , C. , Roduner , C. , and Shafai , E. Adaptive Control of a Three-Way Catalytic Converter American Control Conference, 2000, Proceedings of the 2000 3 1561 1566 IEEE
- Cio , V. , Scala , S. , and Sepe , E. 2001 Control Oriented Modeling of the Exhaust Gas After-Treatment System
- Brandt , E.P. , Wang , Y. , and Grizzle , J.W. 1997 A Simplified Three-Way Ccatalyst Model for Use in On-Board SI Engine Control and Diagnostics Proceedings of the ASME Dynamic System and Control Division 61 653 659