This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuzzy Logic Approach to GDI Spray Characterization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced numerical techniques, such as fuzzy logic and neural networks have been applied in this work to digital images acquired on a mono-component fuel spray (iso-octane), in order to define, in a stochastic way, the gas-liquid interface evolution. The image is a numerical matrix and so it is possible to characterize geometrical parameters and the time evolution of the jet by using deterministic, statistical stochastic and other several kinds of approach. The algorithm used works with the fuzzy logic concept to binarize the shades gray of the pixel, depending them, by using the schlieren technique, on the gas density. Starting from a primary fixed threshold, the applied technique, can select the ‘gas’ pixel from the ‘liquid’ pixel and so it is possible define the first most probably boundary lines of the spray. Acquiring continuously the images, fixing a frame and a sample rate, a most fine threshold can be select and, at the limit, the most probably geometrical parameters of the jet can be detected.
CitationQuaremba, G., Allocca, L., Amoresano, A., Niola, V. et al., "Fuzzy Logic Approach to GDI Spray Characterization," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0874, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0874.
- de Albuquerque V.H.C., de Alexandria A.R., Cortez Paulo Ce´ sar, Tavares Joa~o Manuel R.S., “Evaluation of Multilayer Perceptron and Self-organizing Map Neural Network Topologies Applied on Microstructure Segmentation from Metallographic Images”, NDT&E International 42 (2009) 644-651
- Funahashi K., “On the Approximate Realization of Continuous Mappings by Neural Networks”, J. Neural. Netw. 2, (1989) 183-192.
- Hornik K., Stinchcombe M., White M., “Multilayer Feed forward Networks are Universal Approximators”, Neural. Netw. 2, (1989) 359-366.
- Kalogirou Soteris A., “Artificial Intelligence for the Modeling and Control of Combustion Processes: a Review”, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 29 (2003) 515-566
- Kangas J., Kohonen T., “Developments and Applications of the Self-organizing Map and Related Algorithms”, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 41 (1996) 3-12
- Dragomira O. E., Dragomirb F., Radulescuc M., “Matlab Application of Kohonen Self- Organizing Map to Classify Consumers’ Load Profiles”, 2nd International Conference on Information Technology and Quantitative Management, ITQM 2014, Procedia Computer Science 31 ( 2014 ) 474 - 479
- Kohonen T., Schroeder M.R., Huang T.S., “Self-Organizing Maps”, 3rd ed., Springer-Verlag New York, Inc, Secaucus, NJ, USA, 2001.
- del Coso C., Fustes D., Dafonte C., Nóvoa F.J., Rodríguez-Pedreira J.M., Arcay B., “Mixing Numerical and Categorical Data in a Self-Organizing Map by means of Frequency Neurons”, Applied Soft Computing 36 (2015) 246-254
- Chacon-Murguia M.I., Ramirez-Alonso G. “Visual, Fuzzy-neural Self-adapting Background Modeling with Automatic Motion Analysis for Dynamic Object Detection”, Applied Soft Computing 36 (2015) 570-577
- Ha J.Y., Hanazato T., Chang K.H, Jeong K.S, Kime D.K, “Assessment of the Lake Biomanipulation Mediated by Piscivorous Rainbow Trout and Herbivorous Daphnids using a Self-organizing Map: A Case Study in Lake Shirakaba”, Japan, Ecological Informatics 29 (2015) 182-191
- Chaplot S., Patnaik L.M., Jagannathan N.R, “Classification of Magnetic Resonance Brain Images using Wavelets as Input to Support Vector Machine and Neural Network”, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control 1 (2006) 86-92
- Subbiah S., Rosbach S., Von-Hoersten H., Turrin S., “An Intuitive Diagnostic Model for Gas Analyzers based on Self Organizing Maps”, IFAC-PapersOnLine 48-21 (2015) 814-819
- Amoresano A, Langella G, Niola V, Quaremba G., “Advanced Image Analysis of Two-Phase Flow inside a Centrifugal Pump”, Advances in Mechanical Engineering,- Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 958320, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/958320 .
- Allocca, L., Montanaro, A., Di Gioia, R., and Bonandrini, G., "Spray Characterization of a Single-Hole Gasoline Injector under Flash Boiling Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0041, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-32-0041.
- Malaguti, S., Fontanesi, S., Cantore, G., Allocca, L., Montanaro A., “Modelling of Primary Breakup of a Gasoline Direct Engine Multi-Hole Spray”, Atomization and Sprays 23(10), pp.861-888
- Siebers, D., "Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 980809, 1998, doi:10.4271/980809.
- Niola V., Quaremba G., Savino S. “The objects location from images binarized by means of self-learning neural network”, Trans. on Systems, Vol. 4, Issue 4, April 2005,pp 417-423
- Castelli I., Trentin E. “Combination of Supervised and Unsupervised Learning for Training the Activation Functions of Neural Networks”, Pattern Recognition Letters 37 (2014) 178-191
- Tsoukalas L.H., Uhrig R.E., “Fuzzy and Neural Approaches in Engineering. John Wiley & Sons Inc.”, NY, USA (1997)
- Iosifidis A., “Extreme Learning Machine Based Supervised Subspace Learning”, Neurocomputing 167 (2015) 158-164
- Wasserman P.D., “Advanced Methods in Neural Computing”, Van Nostrand Reinhold, NY (1993)
- Amoresano A., Langella G., Niola V., Quaremba G. (2013). “A statistical method to identify the main parameters characterizing a pressure swirl spray”. International Review Of Mechanical Engineering (ISSN:1970-8734) pp. 981 - 987 Vol. 7,
- Allouis C., Amoresano A., Langella G., Niola V., Quaremba G. “Characterization of gas turbine burner instabilities by wavelet analysis of infrared images Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science” 2015 doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2015.09.028