This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HEUI Injector Modeling and ROI Experiments for High Injection Pressure of Diesel and Dimethyl Ether (DME)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dimethyl Ether (DME) is considered a clean alternative fuel to diesel due to its soot-free combustion characteristics and its capability to be produced from renewable energy sources rather than fossil fuels such as coal or petroleum. To mitigate the effect of strong wave dynamics on fuel supply lines caused due to the high compressibility of DME and to overcome its low lubricity, a hydraulically actuated electronic unit injector (HEUI) with pressure intensification was used. The study focuses on high pressure operation, up to 2000 bar, significantly higher than pressure ranges reported previously with DME. A one-dimensional HEUI injector model is built in MATLAB/SIMULINK graphical software environment, to predict the rate of injection (ROI) profile critical to spray and combustion characterization. The outputs of model are compared with experimental ROI and injection duration data of both diesel and DME at injection pressures ranging from 750 to 2000 bar for single-hole and multi-hole nozzles. DME was found to have, with respect to diesel, longer injection delays leading to shorter injection durations for same injector command. The DME ROI profiles show that the volumetric flowrates are higher than those of Diesel. ROI profiles from the model are used as an input in CFD simulation to predict spray penetration, which are compared with spray images of both fuels captured in a combustion vessel thus providing a useful validation process for the CFD model.
|Technical Paper||Knock Prediction in Reciprocating Gas-Engines Using Detailed Chemical Kinetics|
|Technical Paper||Development of a CFD Solver for Primary Diesel Jet Atomization in FOAM-Extend|
CitationZhu, X., Limbu, S., Cung, K., De Ojeda, W. et al., "HEUI Injector Modeling and ROI Experiments for High Injection Pressure of Diesel and Dimethyl Ether (DME)," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0855, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0855.
- EPA 2014 Regulatory Impact Analysis, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Transportation and Air Quality. EPA-420-R-14-005 February 2014 http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/nmim/420r05024.pdf
- US Department of Transportation (US DOT) 2011 Federal Register 76 48758 48769
- Takeishi , Kaoru Dimethyl ether (DME): a clean fuel of the 21st century and catalysts for it synthesis 2 2010 3
- Arcoumanis , Constantine , Choongsik Bae , Roy Crookes , and Eiji Kinoshita The potential of di-methyl ether (DME) as an alternative fuel for compression-ignition engines: A review Fuel 87 7 2008 1014 1030
- Fleisch , Theo H. , and Meurer Peter C. DME: the Diesel fuel for the 21st Century? AVL Conference on Engine and Environment 1995
- Park , Su Han , and Chang Sik Lee Applicability of dimethyl ether (DME) in a compression ignition engine as an alternative fuel Energy Conversion and Management 86 2014 848 863
- Cung , K. , Johnson , J. , and Lee , S. Development of Chemical Kinetic Mechanism for Dimethyl Ether (DME) with Comprehensive Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon (PAH) and NO x Chemistry SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0807 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0807
- Phan , Anthony Development of a rate of injection bench and constant volume combustion chamber for diesel spray diagnostics 2009
- Bosch , W. The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument For Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection SAE Technical Paper 660749 1966 10.4271/660749
- Takamura , A. , Fukushima , S. , Omori , Y. , and Kamimoto , T. Development of a New Measurement Tool for Fuel Injection Rate in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 890317 1989 10.4271/890317
- Bower , G. and Foster , D. A Comparison of the Bosch and Zuech Rate of Injection Meters SAE Technical Paper 910724 1991 10.4271/910724
- Hansen , John Bogild , and Svend-Erik Mikkelsen DME as a Transportation Fuel Prepared for the Danish Road Safety and Transport Agency and the Danish Environmental Protection Agency Lyngby, Denmark 2001
- Tsuchiya , T. and Sato , Y. Development of DME Engine for Heavy-duty Truck SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0052 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0052
- Szybist , James P. , Samuel McLaughlin , and Suresh Iyer Emissions and Performance Benchmarking of a Prototype Dimethyl Ether Fueled Heavy-Duty Truck ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 248 1155 16TH ST, NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20036 USA AMER CHEMICAL SOC 2014
- Bennett , Sean Medium/Heavy Duty Truck Engines, Fuel & Computerized Management Systems Cengage Learning 2012