This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Subcritical/Supercritical Spray Characteristics of a Multi-Hole Gasoline Direct Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Investigations using supercritical spray platform,which allows gasoline at low sub-critical state,subcritical state and supercritical state respectively,were made to demonstrate the Subcritical/ Supercritical Spray Characteristics of a Multi-Hole Gasoline Direct Injector.
The experimental results show that the spray pattern and spray characteristics (i.e. spray penetration distance,spray area and spray perimeter) varied greatly under different state. In subcritical state,the spray characteristics of gasoline is similar to the phenomenon of "flash bfueling",appearing spray entrainment and spray collapse,then spray penetration distance and area drop significantly.In supercritical state,the six-hole gasoline spray is composed by the thick-core region and the thin-diffusion region,and Mach disk is observed at the outlet of the nozzle,then spray penetration distance and area increases sharply. In addition,by comparing the spray characteristics of six-hole and single-hole GDI injector,result shows the single-hole injector is more conducive to the development of supercritical gasoline.
CitationZhang, M., Pei, Y., Liu, Y., and Zhang, Y., "Study on Subcritical/Supercritical Spray Characteristics of a Multi-Hole Gasoline Direct Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0849, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0849.
- Lumsden, G., OudeNijeweme, D., Fraser, N., and Blaxill, H., "Development of a Turbocharged Direct Injection Downsizing Demonstrator Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1420-1432, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1503.
- Kleeberg, H., Tomazic, D., Lang, O., and Habermann, K., "Future Potential and Development Methods for High Output Turbocharged Direct Injected Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0046, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0046.
- Qin, J., Li, X., and Pei, Y., "Effects of Combustion Parameters and Lubricating Oil on Particulate Matter Emissions from a Turbo-Charged GDI Engine Fueled with Methanol/Gasoline Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2841, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2841.
- George A.Supercritical Triple Point as Per Encyclopedia of Chemica Technology [M] .Fifth edition Vol.24 page 2
- Ervin,J. S.,Williams,T. F.,Bento,J.,Doungthip,T. Studies of Jet Fuel Thermal Stability and Flow Characteristics within a Nozzle under Supercritical Conditions,Preprints - American Chemical Society. Division of Petroleum Chemistry 45(3): 526-530,2000.
- Roy A,Segal C. Experimental study of fluid jet mixing at supercritical conditions[J]. Journal of Propulsion and Power,2010,26(6): 1205-1211.
- Segal C,Polikhov S A. Subcritical to supercritical mixing[J]. Physics of Fluids,2008,20(5): 052101-7.
- Tavlarides L.L.,Anitescu G. Supercritical disel fuel composition,combustion process and fuel systems : US,20060107586[P]. 2006.
- Lin Ronghong,TavlaridesLawrence L..Thermophysical properties needed for the development of the supercritical diesel combustion technology: evaluation of diesel fuel surrogate models[J]. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids,2012,71:136-146.
- Dahms R N,Oefelein J C. On the transition between twophase and single-phase interface dynamics in multicomponent fluids at supercritical pressures[J]. Physics of Fluids,2013,25:092103.