This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Performance and Emission of Acetone-Ethanol and Gasoline Blends in a PFI Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To face the challenges of fossil fuel shortage and air pollution problems, there is growing interest in the potential usage of alternative fuels such as bio-ethanol and bio-butanol in internal combustion engines. The literature shows that the acetone in the Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) blends plays an important part in improving the combustion performance and emissions, owing to its higher volatility. In order to study the effects of acetone addition into commercial gasoline, this study focuses on the differences in combustion, performance and emission characteristics of a port-injection spark-ignition engine fueled with pure gasoline (G100), ethanol-containing gasoline (E30) and acetone-ethanol-gasoline blends (AE30 at A:E volumetric ratio of 3:1). The tests were conducted at 1200RPM with the default calibration (for gasoline), at 3 bar and 5 bar BMEP under various equivalence ratios. The combustion characteristics, brake thermal efficiency, brake specific fuel consumption and various emissions of different fuels were compared, respectively. Results showed there was a slight increase in BTE and improved BSFC with AE30 relative to E30. It was also found that AE30 showed lower HC emissions because of the better volatility of the acetone additive. Although the CO emission was a bit higher at stoichiometric conditions, it might reduce at fuel-rich conditions such as full load and transient accelerating. No obvious differences of NOx emissions were invested between the tested fuels.
CitationMeng, L., Li, Y., Nithyanandan, K., Lee, T. et al., "Experimental Study on Performance and Emission of Acetone-Ethanol and Gasoline Blends in a PFI Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0833, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0833.
- Furuholt, E.,"Life cycle assessment of gasoline and diesel,"Resources, Conservation and Recycling 14:251-263,1995,doi: 10.1016/0921-3449(95)00020-J.
- He, B., Jian-Xin, W., Hao, J.and Yan, X.et al.,"A study on emission characteristics of an EFI engine with ethanol blended gasoline fuels,"Atmospheric Environment 37:949-957,2003,doi: 10.1016/S1352-2310(02)00973-1.
- Wallner, T., Miers, S. A.and McConnell, S.,"A comparison of ethanol and butanol as oxygenates using a direct-injection, spark-ignition engine,"Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 131:2009,doi: 10.1115/1.3043810.
- Balat, M.and Balat, H.,"Recent trends in global production and utilization of bio-ethanol fuel,"Applied Energy 86:2273-2282 ,2009,doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.03.015.
- Szulczyk, K. R., McCarl, B. A.and Cornforth, G.,"Market penetration of ethanol,"Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 14:394-403 ,2010, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2009.07.007.
- Sadeghinezhad, E., Kazi, S. N., Badarudin, A.and Togun, H.et al.,"Sustainability and environmental impact of ethanol as a biofuel,"Reviews in Chemical Engineering 30:51-72 ,2014,doi: 10.1515/revce-2013-0024.
- Costagliola, M. A., De Simio, L., Iannaccone, S.and Prati, M. V.,"Combustion efficiency and engine out emissions of a S.I. engine fueled with alcohol/gasoline blends,"Applied Energy 111:1162-1171 ,2013,doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.09.042.
- Macedo, I. C., Seabra, J. E. A.and Silva, J. E. A. R.,"Green house gases emissions in the production and use of ethanol from sugarcane in Brazil: The 2005/2006 averages and a prediction for 2020,"Biomass and Bioenergy 32:582-595 ,2008,doi: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2007.12.006.
- Hsieh, W., Chen, R., Wu, T.and Lin, T.,"Engine performance and pollutant emission of an SI engine using ethanol-gasoline blended fuels,"Atmospheric Environment 36:403-410 ,2002,doi: 10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00508-8.
- Park, C., Choi, Y., Kim, C.and Oh, S.et al.,"Performance and exhaust emission characteristics of a spark ignition engine using ethanol and ethanol-reformed gas,"Fuel 89:2118-2125 ,2010,doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.03.018.
- Masum, B. M., Kalam, M. A., Masjuki, H. H.and Rahman, S. M. A.et al.,"Impact of denatured anhydrous ethanol-gasoline fuel blends on a spark-ignition engine,"Rsc Advances 4:51220-51227 ,2014,doi: 10.1039/C4RA08130G.
- Kumar, A., Khatri, D., and Babu, M., "An Investigation of Potential and Challenges with Higher Ethanol-gasoline Blend on a Single Cylinder Spark Ignition Research Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0137, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0137.
- Ceviz, M. A.and Yüksel, F.,"Effects of ethanol-unleaded gasoline blends on cyclic variability and emissions in an SI engine,"Applied Thermal Engineering 25:917-925 ,2005,doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2004.07.019.
- Schifter, I., Diaz, L., Rodriguez, R.and Gómez, J. P.et al.,"Combustion and emissions behavior for ethanol-gasoline blends in a single cylinder engine,"Fuel 90:3586-3592 ,2011,doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.01.034.
- Turner, D., Xu, H., Cracknell, R. F.and Natarajan, V.et al.,"Combustion performance of bio-ethanol at various blend ratios in a gasoline direct injection engine,"Fuel 90:1999-2006 ,2011,doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.12.025.
- Narasimhan M. J.Jr, and Thirmulachar, M. J.,"Acetone-gasoline mixture for automobiles; pollution control; efficiency," U.S. Patent 4372753, Feb 8,1983.
- Yang, C.,"Alcohol, ketone and ether with silicon compounds," U.S. Patent 5688295, Nov 18,1997.
- Wu, H., Nithyanandan, K., Zhou, N.and Lee, T. H.et al.,"Impacts of acetone on the spray combustion of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE)-Diesel blends under low ambient temperature," Fuel 142:109-116 ,2015, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2014.10.009.
- Nithyanandan, K., Zhang, J., Yuqiang, L., Wu, H. et al., "Investigating the Impact of Acetone on the Performance and Emissions of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline Blends in an SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0909, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0909.
- Wigg, B., Coverdill, R., Lee, C., and Kyritsis, D., "Emissions Characteristics of Neat Butanol Fuel Using a Port Fuel-Injected, Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0902, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0902.
- Nithyanandan, K., Wu, H., Huo, M., and Lee, C., "A Preliminary Investigation of the Performance and Emissions of a Port-Fuel Injected SI Engine Fueled with Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1459, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1459.
- Wallner, T. and Miers, S., "Combustion Behavior of Gasoline and Gasoline/Ethanol Blends in a Modern Direct-Injection 4-Cylinder Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0077, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0077.
- Chong, C. T.and Hochgreb, S.,"Measurements of laminar flame speeds of acetone/methane/air mixtures,"Combustion and Flame 158:490-500 ,2011,doi: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.09.019.
- Cataluña, R., Da Silva, R., de Menezes, E. W.and Ivanov, R. B.,"Specific consumption of liquid biofuels in gasoline fuelled engines,"Fuel 87:3362-3368 ,2008,doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2008.04.041.
- Szwaja, S.and Naber, J. D.,"Combustion of n-butanol in a spark-ignition IC engine,"Fuel 89:1573-1582 ,2010,doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2009.08.043.
- Zhang, J., Nithyanandan, K., Li, Y., Lee, C. et al., "Comparative Study of High-Alcohol-Content Gasoline Blends in an SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0891, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0891.
- Aleiferis, P., Malcolm, J., Todd, A., Cairns, A. et al., "An Optical Study of Spray Development and Combustion of Ethanol, Iso-Octane and Gasoline Blends in a DISI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0073, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0073.
- Chang, Y., Lee, W., Lin, S.and Wang, L.,"Green energy: Water-containing acetone-butanol-ethanol diesel blends fueled in diesel engines,"Applied Energy 109:182-191 ,2013,doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.03.086.
- Rassweiler, G. and Withrow, L., "Motion Pictures of Engine Flames Correlated with Pressure Cards," SAE Technical Paper 380139, 1938, doi:10.4271/380139.
- Heywood, J.B.,"Internal combustion engine fundamentals: Mcgraw-hill," New York, 1988.
- Price, P., Twiney, B., Stone, R., Kar, K. et al., "Particulate and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Spray Guided Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine with Oxygenate Fuel Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0472, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0472.
- Ramadhas, A. S., Muraleedharan, C.and Jayaraj, S., "Performance and emission evaluation of a diesel engine fueled with methyl esters of rubber seed oil,"Renewable Energy 30:1789-1800 ,2005,doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2005.01.009.
- Cooney, C., Wallner, T., McConnell, S.and Gillen, J. C.et al.,"Effects of blending gasoline with ethanol and butanol on engine efficiency and emissions using a direct-injection, spark-ignition engine," presented at ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical CON 2009, USA, May 3-6, 2009.
- Vera, J. and Ghandhi, J., "Investigation of Post-Flame Oxidation of Unburned Hydrocarbons in Small Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):67-81, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0141.
- Liu, S., Cuty Clemente, E. R., Hu, T.and Wei, Y.,"Study of spark ignition engine fueled with methanol/gasoline fuel blends,"Applied Thermal Engineering 27:1904-1910 ,2007,doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.12.024.
- Can, Ö., Celikten, I.and Usta, N.,"Effects of ethanol addition on performance and emissions of a turbocharged indirect injection diesel engine running at different injection pressures,"Energy Conversion and Management 45:2429-2440 ,2004,doi: doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2003.11.024.