This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Global Algebraic Model for NOx Emissions Formation in Post-Flame Gases - Application to Lean Premixed Combustion Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new global NOx emissions formation model, formulated by a single analytically derived algebraic equation, is developed with relevance to post-flame gases. The model originates from subsets of detailed kinetic schemes for thermal and N2O pathway NO formation, needs no calibration and is quick to implement and run. Due to its simplicity, the model can be readily used in both 1D and 3D-CFD simulation codes, as well as for direct post-processing of engine test data.
Characteristic timescales that describe the kinetic nature of the involved NO formation routes, when they evolve in the post-flame gases independently the one from another, are introduced incorporating kinetic information from all relevant elementary reactions. These timescales are then included in the formulation of the single algebraic equation that describes the global, kinetically controlled, temporal NOx emissions evolution in the burned gas mixture, as determined by the simultaneous contributions of the two considered NO formation pathways.
After being validated against engine-out NOx emissions data of two lean burn large gas engines, the model is then used to assess the behavior and significance of the thermal and N2O pathway mechanisms under operating conditions typical of large gas engines. It is also used to highlight the errors in the calculation of NOx emissions commonly made in cycle simulations of lean burn gas engines by neglecting the contribution of the N2O pathway mechanism.
|Technical Paper||CFD-Simulation of Ignition and Combustion in Lean Burn Gas Engines|
|Technical Paper||Basic Research on Combustion Chambers for Lean Burn Gas Engines|
|Technical Paper||Prechamber for Lean Burn for Low NOx|
CitationMichos, K., Bikas, G., and Vlaskos, I., "A New Global Algebraic Model for NOx Emissions Formation in Post-Flame Gases - Application to Lean Premixed Combustion Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0803, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0803.
- Lavoie , G.A. , Heywood , J.B. , Keck , J.C. 1970 Experimental and Theoretical Study of Nitric Oxide Formation in Internal Combustion Engines Combustion Science and Technology 1 313 326
- Dean , A.M. , Bozzelli , J.W. Combustion Chemistry of Nitrogen Gardiner W.C. Jr. Combustion Chemistry 2nd Springer-Verlag New York 2000
- Miller , J.A. , Bowman , C.T. 1989 Mechanism and Modeling of Nitrogen Chemistry in Combustion Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 15 287 338
- Glarborg , P. , Dam-Johansen , K. , Miller , J.A. , Kee , R.J. , Coltrin , M.E. 1994 Modeling the Thermal DENOx Process in Flow Reactors. Surface Effects and Nitrous Oxide Formation International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 26 421 436
- Miller , R. , Davis , G. , Lavoie , G. , Newman , C. et al. A Super-Extended Zel'dovich Mechanism for Nox Modeling and Engine Calibration SAE Technical Paper 980781 1998 10.4271/980781
- Hewson , J.C. , Bollig , M. 1996 Reduced Mechanisms for NOx Emissions from Hydrocarbon Diffusion Flames Proceedings of the 26th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 2171 2179
- Löffler , G. , Sieber , R. , Harasek , M. , Hofbauer , H. , Hauss , R. , Landauf , J. 2006 NOx Formation in Natural Gas Combustion - A New Simplified Reaction Scheme for CFD Calculations Fuel 85 513 523
- Malte , P.C. , Pratt , D.T. 1974 The Role of Energy-Releasing Kinetics in NOx Formation: Fuel Lean, Jet-Stirred CO-Air Combustion Combustion Science and Technology 9 221 231
- Drake , M.C. , Blint , R.J. 1991 Calculations of NOx Formation Pathways in Propagating Laminar, High Pressure Premixed Methane/Air Flames Combustion Science and Technology 75 261 285
- Bozzelli , J.W. , Dean , A.M. 1995 O + NNH: A Possible New Route for NOx Formation in Flames International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 27 1097 1109
- Moskaleva , L.V. , Lin , M.C. 2000 The Spin-Conserved Reaction CH + N 2 → H + NCN: A Major Pathway to Prompt NO Studied by Quantum/Statistical Theory Calculations and Kinetic Modeling of Rate Constant Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28 2393 2401
- Fenimore , C.P. 1976 Reactions of Fuel-Nitrogen in Rich Flame Gases Combustion and Flame 26 249 256
- Bikas , G. , Michos , K. , Vlaskos , I. 2015 Ein Neues Globales Algebraisches Modell der NOx-Bildung für Erdgasmotoren MTZ 12 64 69
- Reitz , R.D. 2013 Directions in Internal Combustion Engine Research Combustion and Flame 160 1 8
- Dec , J. and Canaan , R. PLIF Imaging of NO Formation in a DI Diesel Engine1 SAE Technical Paper 980147 1998 10.4271/980147
- Smith , G.P. , Golden , D.M. , Frenklach , M. , Moriarty , N.W. , Eiteneer , B. , Goldenberg , M. , Bowman , C.T. , Hanson , R.K. , Song S. , Jr. , Gardiner , W.C. , Lissianski , V.V. , Zhiwei , Q. http:/www.me.berkeley.edu/gri_mech
- Hanson , R.K. , Salimian , S. Survey of Rate Constants in the H/N/O System Gardiner W.C. , Jr. Combustion Chemistry Springer-Verlag New York 1984
- Law , C.K. Combustion Physics Cambridge University Press Cambridge 2006
- Ricardo Software 2015 WAVE 2014.2 User's Manual
- d'Ambrosio , S. , Misul , D. , Spessa , E. , and Vassallo , A. Evaluation of Combustion Velocities in Bi-fuel Engines by Means of an Enhanced Diagnostic Tool Based on a Quasi-Dimensional Multizone Model SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0245 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0245
- Egnell , R. Combustion Diagnostics by Means of Multizone Heat Release Analysis and NO Calculation SAE Technical Paper 981424 1998 10.4271/981424
- Gordon , S. , McBride , B.J. 1994 Computer Program for Calculation of Complex Chemical Equilibrium Compositions and Applications - I. Analysis NASA Reference Publication 1311, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- McBride , B.J. , Gordon , S. 1996 Computer Program for Calculation of Complex Chemical Equilibrium Compositions and Applications - II. Users Manual and Program Description NASA Reference Publication 1311, National Aeronautics and Space Administration