This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Use of Ethanol in Dual Fuel Applications: Effects of Engine Downsizing, Spark Retard, and Compression Ratio on Fuel Economy
ISSN: 1946-3936, e-ISSN: 1946-3944
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Jo, Y., Bromberg, L., and Heywood, J., "Optimal Use of Ethanol in Dual Fuel Applications: Effects of Engine Downsizing, Spark Retard, and Compression Ratio on Fuel Economy," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):1087-1101, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0786.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration, “Monthly Energy Review (January 2014),” U.S. Energy Information Administration Monthly Energy Review, Tables 1.3, 2.1-2.6, Jan. 2014.
- U.S. Department of Transportation Bureau of Transportation Statistics, “2015 National Transportation Statistics,” http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/, 2015.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Transportation, “2017 and Later Model Year Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards.” U.S. Federal Register, 76(231):74854-75420, 1 Dec. 2011.
- PIRA Energy Group, “An Assessment of the Diesel Fuel Market: Demand, Supply, Trade, and Key Drivers,” http://fuelsinstitute.org/ResearchArticles/DieselReport_PIRA.pdf, Sep. 2014.
- Heywood, J.B., "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals," McGraw-Hill, 1988
- Wardsauto group, “a division of penton media Inc.; World Engines 2013,” http://wardsauto.com/site-files/wardsauto.com/files/datasheets/gated/worlden01_2013_0.xls , accessed Oct. 2015.
- Leone, T., Anderson, J., Davis, R., Iqbal, A. et al., “The Effect of Compression Ratio, Fuel Octane Rating, and Ethanol Content on Spark-Ignition Engine Efficiency,” Environmental Science and Technology 49(18):10778-10789, 2015, doi:10.1021/acs.est.5b01420.
- Smith, P., Heywood, J., and Cheng, W., "Effects of Compression Ratio on Spark-Ignited Engine Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2599, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2599.
- Han, D., Han, S., Han, B., and Kim, W., "Development of 2.0L Turbocharged DISI Engine for Downsizing Application," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0259, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0259.
- Smith, P. and Cheng, W., "Assessing the Loss Mechanisms Associated with Engine Downsizing, Boosting and Compression Ratio Change," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0929, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0929.
- Jo, Y., Lewis, R., Bromberg, L., and Heywood, J., "Performance Maps of Turbocharged SI Engines with Gasoline-Ethanol Blends: Torque, Efficiency, Compression Ratio, Knock Limits, and Octane," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1206, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1206.
- Ayala, F., Gerty, M., and Heywood, J., "Effects of Combustion Phasing, Relative Air-fuel Ratio, Compression Ratio, and Load on SI Engine Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0229, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0229.
- Stein, R., House, C., and Leone, T., "Optimal Use of E85 in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2(1):670-682, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1490.
- Sims, R., Schaeffer, R., Creutzig, F., Cruz-Núñez, X. et al., "2014: Transport. In: Climate Change2014: Mitigation of Climate Change. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change," Cambridge University Press, 2014
- Korves, R., “The Potential Role for Corn Ethanol in Meeting the Energy Needs of the United States in 2016-2030,” Global Bioenergy Partnership, Oct. 2008.
- Humm, R., Goldsmith, P., Rausch, K., Stein, H., “Land Usage attributed to corn ethanol production in the United States: sensitivity to technological advances in corn grain yield, ethanol conversion, and co-product utilization,” Biotechnology for Biofuels 7(61): 10.1186/1754-6834-7-61.
- Kasseris, E. and Heywood, J., "Charge Cooling Effects on Knock Limits in SI DI Engines Using Gasoline/Ethanol Blends: Part 1-Quantifying Charge Cooling," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1275, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1275.
- Kasseris, E. and Heywood, J., "Charge Cooling Effects on Knock Limits in SI DI Engines Using Gasoline/Ethanol Blends: Part 2-Effective Octane Numbers," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(2):844-854, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1284.
- Wall Street Journal, “Auto Sales,” http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html, accessed Sep, 2015
- Toyota Camry, “2014 Camry Features & Specs,” http://www.toyota.com/camry/features/mechanical/2532/2540/2 546/2548, accessed May 2014
- Environmental Protection Agency, “Dynamometer Drive Schedules,” http://www3.epa.gov/nvfel/testing/dynamometer.htm, accessed Oct 2015
- Office of Transportation and Air Quality, “EPA Issues New Test Methods for Fuel Economy Window Stickers”, Dec. 2006, doi:EPA420-F-06-069
- Office of Transportation and Air Quality, “Final Technical Support Document Fuel Economy Labeling of Motor Vehicle Revisions to Improve Calculation of Fuel Economy Estimates”, Dec. 2006, doi:EPA420-R-06-017
- Ford, “2014 Chassis Cab Specifications,” http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/chassis-cab/specifications/, accessed May 2014