This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heat Release Analysis of Clean Combustion with Ethanol Ignited by Diesel in a High Compression Ratio Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The control of nitrogen oxide and smoke emissions in diesel engines has been one of the key researches in both the academia and industry. Nitrogen oxides can be effectively suppressed by the use of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). However, the introduction of inert exhaust gas into the engine intake is often associated with high smoke emissions. To overcome these issues there have been a number of proposed strategies, one of the more promising being the use of low temperature combustion enabled with heavy EGR. This has the potential to achieve simultaneously low emissions of nitrogen oxide and smoke. However, a quantitative way to identify the transition zone between high temperature combustion and low temperature combustion has still not been fully explored. The combustion becomes even more complicated when ethanol fuel is used as a partial substitution for diesel fuel.
In the work reported here, the heat release rate (HRR) of diesel low temperature combustion at different engine loads and various intake oxygen levels was analyzed. The high temperature combustion zone, the transition zone and the low temperature combustion zone were initially defined from the smoke emissions and then identified on the corresponding HRR characteristics. The HRR-shape changes were observed for different combustion zones. A new parameter named combustion acceleration was proposed which was the first derivative of HRR to capture the HRR-shape change. It was observed that the peak of combustion acceleration can potentially be used as an indication of the transition zone. The same analytical procedure was applied to the ethanol combustion initialized by diesel direct injection. The corresponding results were compared with the diesel single-shot low temperature combustion.
CitationGao, T., Jeftic, M., Bryden, G., Reader, G. et al., "Heat Release Analysis of Clean Combustion with Ethanol Ignited by Diesel in a High Compression Ratio Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0766, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0766.
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 699 715 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0538
- Zheng , M. , Kumar , R. , Tan , Y. , and Reader , G. Heat Release Pattern Diagnostics to Improve Diesel Low Temperature Combustion SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 1242 1258 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1726
- Koci , C. , Ra , Y. , Krieger , R. , Andrie , M. et al. Multiple-Event Fuel Injection Investigations in a Highly-Dilute Diesel Low Temperature Combustion Regime SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 837 857 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0925
- Gao , T. , Reader , G. , Tjong , J. , and Zheng , M. Energy Efficiency Comparison between Butanol and Ethanol Combustion with Diesel Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0859 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0859
- Han , S. , Shim , E. , Jang , J. , Park , J. et al. Operating Range of Low Temperature Diesel Combustion with Supercharging SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1440 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1440
- Pickett , L. and Siebers , D. Non-Sooting, Low Flame Temperature Mixing-Controlled DI Diesel Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1399 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1399
- De Ojeda , W. , Bulicz , T. , Han , X. , Zheng , M. et al. Impact of Fuel Properties on Diesel Low Temperature Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 188 201 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0329
- Gao , T. , Divekar , P. , Asad , U. , Han , X. et al An Enabling Study of Low Temperature Combustion with Ethanol in A Diesel Engine Journal of Energy Resources Technology 135/042203-1 2013 10.1115/1.4024027
- Asad , U. , Han , X. , and Zheng , M. An Empirical Study to Extend Engine Load in Diesel Low Temperature Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 709 717 2012 10.4271/2011-01-1814
- Splitter , D. , Wissink , M. , Kokjohn , S. , and Reitz , R. Effect of Compression Ratio and Piston Geometry on RCCI Load Limits and Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0383 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0383
- Aronsson , U. , Andersson , Ö. , Egnell , R. , Miles , P. et al. Influence of Spray-Target and Squish Height on Sources of CO and UHC in a HSDI Diesel Engine During PPCI Low-Temperature Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2810 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2810
- Akihama , K. , Takatori , Y. , Inagaki , K. , Sasaki , S. et al. Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0655 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0655
- Bao , Z. , Cheng , X. , Qiu , L. , and Luan , X. Investigation Into Partially Premixed Combustion in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine Based on Different Injection Strategies SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2681 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2681
- Jung , S. , Ishida , M. , Yamamoto , H. , Ueki , H. et al. Enhancement of NOx-PM Trade-Off in a Diesel Engine Adopting Bio-Ethanol and EGR International Journal of Automotive Technology 11 5 611 616 2010 10.1007/s12239-010-0073-6
- Kaiadi , M. , Johansson , B. , Lundgren , M. , and Gaynor , J. Experimental Investigation on different Injection Strategies for Ethanol Partially Premixed Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0281 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0281
- Lu , X. , Hou , Y. , Zu , L. , Huang , Z. Experimental Study on the Auto-Ignition and Combustion Characteristics in the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion Operation with Ethenaool/n-heptane Blend Fuel by Port Injection Journal of Fuel 85 2622 2631 2006 10.1016/j.fuel.2006.05.003
- Qian , Y. , Wang , X. , Zhu , L. , Lu , X. Experimental Studies on Combustion and Emissions of RCCI (Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition) with Gasoline/n-heptane and Ethanol/nheptane as Fuels Journal of Energy 88 584 594 2015 10.1016/j.energy.2015.05.083
- Splitter , D. , Reitz , R. , and Hanson , R. High Efficiency, Low Emissions RCCI Combustion by Use of a Fuel Additive SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 742 756 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2167
- Asad , U. , Kumar , R. , Han , X. , Zheng , M. Precise instrumentation of a diesel single-cylinder research engine Measurement 44 2011 1261 1278 10.1016/j.measurement.2011.03.028
- Brunt , M. , Rai , H. , and Emtage , A. The Calculation of Heat Release Energy from Engine Cylinder Pressure Data SAE Technical Paper 981052 1998 10.4271/981052
- Asad , U. , Kumar , R. , Zheng , M. , Tjong , J. Ethanol-Fuel Low Temperature Combustion: A Pathway to Clean and Efficient Diesel Engine Cycles Journal of Applied Energy 2015 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.01.057
- Han , X. , Zheng , M. , and Wang , J. Fuel Suitability for Low Temperature Combustion in Compression Ignition Engines Fuel 109 July 2013 336 349 10.1016/j.fuel.2013.01.049
- Dec , J. , Sjöberg , M. , and Hwang , W. Isolating the Effects of EGR on HCCI Heat-Release Rates and NOX Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 58 70 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2665
- Gao , T. , Xie , K. , Yu , S. , Han , X. et al. Characterization of n-Butanol High Ressure Injection from Modern Common Rail Injection System ICEF2015-1129, ICEF 2015 November 8-11, 2015 Houston, TX, USA