This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation and Analysis of Combustion Process in a Diesel Engine Fueled with Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol/ Diesel Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance and emission of an AVL 5402 single-cylinder engine fueled with acetone-butanol-ethanol (ABE) / diesel blends were experimentally investigated at various load conditions and injection timings. The fuels tested in the experiments were ABE10 (10% ABE, 90% diesel), ABE20 and diesel as baseline.
Thermodynamics analyses of pressure traces acquired in experiments were performed to show the impact of ABE concentration to the overall combustion characteristics of the fuel mixtures. Cumulative heat release analysis showed that ABE mixtures generally retarded the overall combustion phasing, ignition delays of ABE-containing fuels were significantly extended, however, combustion rate during CA10∼CA50 were accelerated at different extent. Pressure rise rate of ABE-containing fuels further implicated that the premixed combustion were more dominant than that of diesel. Polytropic indices of both expansion and compression strokes were calculated from p-V diagram. Decreased polytropic indices of ABE-containing fuels showed incomplete combustion during power stroke, especially at late-injection conditions. Emission measurement showed that the addition of ABE mixtures will result in higher HC emissions at late injection timings, which further proved the conclusions. However, it is observed that by advancing injection timing, this disadvantage can be improved.
The results in this research implied that by proper tuning of the injection quantity and injection timing, ABE-diesel mixtures have the potential of improving combustion efficiency and reducing pollutant emission of diesel engines. With the low-cost of its industrial production, ABE can be a promising alternative transportation fuel.
CitationLin, Y., Lee, T., Nithyanandan, K., Zhang, J. et al., "Experimental Investigation and Analysis of Combustion Process in a Diesel Engine Fueled with Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol/ Diesel Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0737, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0737.
- Sharp , C. , Howell , S. , and Jobe , J. The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines, Part I Regulated Emissions and Performance SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1967 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1967
- Herzog , C. and Fryszman , A. Perspectives for the Utilization of Renewable Fuels in Latin America SAE Technical Paper 911709 1991 10.4271/911709
- McCormick , R.L. and Parish R. Milestone report: Technical barriers to the use of ethanol in diesel fuel Report NREL/MP-540-32674, National Renewable Energy Laboratory Golden, CO 2001
- Hansen , Alan C. , Zhang Qin , and Lyne Peter WL Ethanol- diesel fuel blends--a review Bioresource technology 96 3 2005 277 285
- Hansen , Alan C. , and Kyritsis Dimitrios C. Characteristics of biofuels and renewable fuel standards Biomass to Biofuels: Strategies for Global Industries 2009 1 26
- Qureshi , N. , and Blaschek H. P. Recovery of butanol from fermentation broth by gas stripping Renewable Energy 22 4 2001 557 564
- Qureshi , N. and Blaschek H.P. ABE production from corn: a recent economic evaluation Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 2001 27 5 292 297
- Agathou , M. , Powell , J. , Lee , C. , and Kyritsis , D. Preliminary experimental study of butanol electrosprays for power generation SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0020 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0020
- Wu , H. , Nithyanandan , K. , Li , B. , Huo , M. , Zhou , N. , Lee , C. , Zhang , C. Investigation on spray and soot lift-off length of ABE-diesel blend in a constant volume chamber with diesel engine conditions Proc. ASME. 46162; Volume 1: Large Bore Engines; Fuels; Advanced Combustion; Emissions Control Systems, V001T02A011 October 19, 2014 10.1115/ICEF2014-5645
- Wu , H. , Nithyanandan , K. , Lee , T. H. , Lee , C. F. , Zhang , C. Spray and Combustion Characteristics of Neat Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol, n-Butanol, and Diesel in a Constant Volume Chamber Energy & Fuels 2014 28 10 6380 6391 10.1021/ef5013819
- Wu , H. , Nithyanandan , K. , Zhou , N. , Lee , T. H. , Lee , C. F. , Zhang , C. Impacts of acetone on the spray combustion of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE)-Diesel blends under low ambient temperature Fuel 142 15 February 2015 109 116 0016-2361 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2014.10.009
- Zhou , N. , Huo , M. , Wu , H. , Nithyanandan K. , Lee , C. F. , Wang , Q. Low temperature spray combustion of acetone-butanol- ethanol (ABE) and diesel blends Applied Energy 117 2014 104 115 0306-2619 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.11.035
- Wu , H. , Huo , M. , Zhou , N. , Nithyanandan , K. et al. An Experimental Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol-Diesel Blends with Different ABE Component Ratios in a Constant Volume Chamber SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1452 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1452
- Lin , Y. , Wu , H. , Nithyanandan , K. , Lee , T. H. , Lee , C. F. , Zhang , C. Investigation of High Percentage Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) Blended With Diesel in a Constant Volume Chamber Proc. ASME. 46162; Volume 1: Large Bore Engines; Fuels; Advanced Combustion; Emissions Control Systems, V001T02A012 October 19, 2014 10.1115/ICEF2014-5649
- Lee , T. , Lin , Y. , Wu , H. , Meng , L. et al. Characterization Spray and Combustion Processes of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) in a Constant Volume Chamber SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0919 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0919
- Nithyanandan , K. , Wu , H. , Huo , M. , and Lee , C. A Preliminary Investigation of the Performance and Emissions of a Port-Fuel Injected SI Engine Fueled with Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1459 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1459
- Nithyanandan , K. , Wu , H. , Zhang , J. , and Lee , C. F. Performance and Emissions of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel Injected Spark Ignition Engine Proc. ASME. 46162; Volume 1: Large Bore Engines; Fuels; Advanced Combustion; Emissions Control Systems, V001T02A010 October 19, 2014 10.1115/ICEF2014-5644
- Nithyanandan , K. , Zhang , J. , Yuqiang , L. , Wu , H. et al. Investigating the Impact of Acetone on the Performance and Emissions of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline Blends in an SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0909 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0909
- Zhang , J. , Nithyanandan , K. , Li , Y. , Lee , C. et al. Comparative Study of High-Alcohol-Content Gasoline Blends in an SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0891 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0891
- Li , Y. , Nithyanandan , K. , Zhang , J. , Lee , C. et al. Combustion and Emissions Performance of a Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with Water Containing Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol and Gasoline Blends SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0908 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0908
- Lee , T. H. , Lin , Y. , Nithyanandan , K. , Zhang , J. , Li , Y. , Yang , J. , Hansen , A. C. , Lee , C. et al. Experimental Investigation of A Diesel Engine Fuelled with Acetone- Butanol- Ethanol/ Diesel Blends Proceedings of the ASME 2015 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference Houston, TX November 2015
- ISO, DP 10054, Internal Combustion Compression Ignition Engines-Apparatus for Measurement of Smoke from Diesel Engines Operating under Steady State Conditions-Filter Type Smoke Meter 1998
- Nithyanandan , K. , Zhang J. , Li Y. , Lee T. H. , Lin Y. , and Lee C. F. Diesel-like efficiency using Diesel/CNG Dual-Fuel Combustion ASME Paper ICEF2015-1147 in Proceedings of the ASME 2015 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference Houston, TX November 2015
- Lapuerta , Magín , García-Contreras Reyes , Campos-Fernández Javier , and Dorado M. Pilar Stability, lubricity, viscosity, and cold-flow properties of alcohol- diesel blends Energy & Fuels 24 8 2010 4497 4502
- Lin , Yuan-Chung , Lee Wen-Jhy , Chao How-Ran , Wang Shu-Li , Tsou Tsui-Chun , Chang-Chien Guo-Ping , and Tsai Perng-Jy Approach for energy saving and pollution reducing by fueling diesel engines with emulsified biosolution/biodiesel/diesel blends Environmental science & technology 42 10 2008 3849 3855
- Rakopoulos , C. D. , Dimaratos A. M. , Giakoumis E. G. , and Rakopoulos D. C. Study of turbocharged diesel engine operation, pollutant emissions and combustion noise radiation during starting with bio-diesel or n-butanol diesel fuel blends Applied Energy 88 11 2011 3905 3916
- Chong , Cheng Tung , and Hochgreb Simone Measurements of laminar flame speeds of liquid fuels: Jet-A1, diesel, palm methyl esters and blends using particle imaging velocimetry (PIV) Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 33.1 2011 979 986
- Wu , Fujia , and Law Chung K. An experimental and mechanistic study on the laminar flame speed, Markstein length and flame chemistry of the butanol isomers Combustion and Flame 160.12 2013 2744 2756
- Egolfopoulos , F. N. , Du D. X. , and Law C. K. A study on ethanol oxidation kinetics in laminar premixed flames, flow reactors, and shock tubes Symposium (international) on combustion 24 1 Elsevier 1992
- Heywood , John B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals 930 New York Mcgraw-hill 1988
- Mwangi , John Kennedy et al. An overview: Energy saving and pollution reduction by using green fuel blends in diesel engines Applied Energy 159 2015 214 236