This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Oil and Gasoline Properties on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in a Thermal Research Engine (TRE) and an Optical Rapid Compression Machine (RCM)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High boost and direct injection are effective ways for energy saving in gasoline engines. However, the occurrence of super-knock at high load has become a main obstacle for further improving power density and fuel economy. It has been known that super-knock can be induced by pre-ignition, and oil droplet auto-ignition is found to be one of the possible mechanisms. In this study, experiments were conducted in a single-cylinder thermal research engine (TRE), in which different types of oil and surrogates were directly injected into the cylinder and then led to pre-ignition and super-knock. The effect of oil injection timing, oil injection quantity, different gasoline and different oil were tested. All the oil in this work could induce pre-ignition, even though their combustion phasing was much later than that in the case of n-hexadecane. Additionally, the effect of oil additives was investigated and the test results indicated that the addition of CaSulfonate and NaSulfonate tends to promote pre-ignition, while the addition of ZDDP and MoDTC tends to retard pre-ignition at certain conditions. Besides the tests in the single cylinder gasoline engine, experiments were carried out in a rapid compression machine (RCM) to investigate the auto-ignition process of a single oil droplet. Both the images acquired by the high speed camera and pressure traces showed that a single oil droplet could self-ignite in the stoichiometric mixture of iso-octane.
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Stochastic Pre-Ignition Behaviors on a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine with Various Fuels and Lubricants|
|Journal Article||A Study of Low Speed Preignition Mechanism in Highly Boosted SI Gasoline Engines|
- Yan Long - Tsinghua University
- Zhi Wang - Tsinghua University
- Yunliang Qi - Tsinghua University
- Shouzhi Xiang - Tsinghua University
- Guang Zeng - Tsinghua University
- Peng Zhang - Tsinghua University
- Xin He - Tsinghua University
- Ashutosh Gupta - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Huifang Shao - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Yinhui Wang - Afton Chemical Trading Co., Ltd.
CitationLong, Y., Wang, Z., Qi, Y., Xiang, S. et al., "Effect of Oil and Gasoline Properties on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in a Thermal Research Engine (TRE) and an Optical Rapid Compression Machine (RCM)," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0720, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0720.
- Bandel , W. , Fraidl , G. , Kapus , P. , Sikinger , H. et al. The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-low Emission SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1266
- Turner , J. , Popplewell , A. , Patel , R. , Johnson , T. et al. Ultra Boost for Economy: Extending the Limits of Extreme Engine Downsizing SAE Int. J. Engines 7 1 387 417 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1185
- Kirwan , J. , Shost , M. , Roth , G. , and Zizelman , J. 3-Cylinder Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection: A High Value Solution for Low CO2 and NOx Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 355 371 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0590
- Winklhofer , E. , Hirsch , A. , Kapus , P. , Kortschak , M. et al. TC GDI Engines at Very High Power Density - Irregular Combustion and Thermal Risk SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0056 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0056
- Amann , M. , Alger , T. , Westmoreland , B. , and Rothmaier , A. The Effects of Piston Crevices and Injection Strategy on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1216 1228 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1148
- Wang , Z. , Liu , H. , Song , T. , Qi , Y. et al. Relationship between super-knock and pre-ignition International Journal of Engine Research 16 2 166 180 2015 10.1177/1468087414530388
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Kalghatgi G.T. , Bradley D. Pre-ignition and ‘Superknock’ in turbo-charged spark-ignition engines Int. J. Engine Res. 13 399 414 2012 10.1177/1468087411431890
- Wang , Z. , Qi , Y. , Liu , H. , Long , Y. et al. Experimental Study on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Gasoline Engine Combustion with Carbon Particle at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0752 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0752
- Inoue , T. , Inoue , Y. , and Ishikawa , M. Abnormal Combustion in a Highly Boosted SI Engine - The Occurrence of Super Knock SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1141 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1141
- Zaccardi , J. , Duval , L. , and Pagot , A. Development of Specific Tools for Analysis and Quantification of Pre-ignition in a Boosted SI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1587 1600 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1795
- Wang , Z. , He , X. , Liu , H. , Qi , Y. et al. Initiation of detonation in iso-octane/air mixture under high pressure and temperature condition in closed cylinder 25th ICDERS Aug 2015 Leeds
- Sasaki , N. and Nakata , K. Effect of Fuel Components on Engine Abnormal Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1276 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1276
- Amann , M. and Alger , T. Lubricant Reactivity Effects on Gasoline Spark Ignition Engine Knock SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 5 2 760 771 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1140
- Wang , Z. , Liu , H. , He , X. , and Wang , J. The role of shock wave intersection on detonation initiation under engine-like conditions in RCM Conference of Internal combustion engines Dec 2015 London
- Haenel , P. , Seyfried , P. , Kleeberg , H. , and Tomazic , D. Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre-ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0343 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0343
- Liu , H. , Wang , Z. , and Wang J. Methanol-gasoline DFSI (dual-fuel spark ignition) combustion with dual-injection for engine knock suppression Energy 73 686 693 2014 10.1016/j.energy.2014.06.072
- Wang , Z. , Liu , H. , Long , Y. , Wang J. et al. Comparative study on alcohols-gasoline and gasoline-alcohols dual-fuel spark ignition (DFSI) combustion for high load extension and high fuel efficiency Energy 82 395 405 2015 10.1016/j.energy.2015.01.049
- Li , D. , Wang , Z. , Liu , H. , and Wang , J. Combustion Mode Switch by Integrating Stoichiometric ASSCI Mode in a Four-cylinder Gasoline SI/HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1288 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1288
- Liu , H. , Wang , Z. , Wang J. , Wang M. et al. Controlled SSCI With Moderate End-Gas Auto-Ignition for Fuel Economy Improvement and Knock Suppression Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 137 10 101508 2015 10.1115/1.4030101
- Dahnz , C. and Spicher , U. Irregular combustion in supercharged spark ignition engines: Pre-ignition and other phenomena International Journal of Engine Research 11 6 485 498 2010 10.1243/14680874JER609
- Zahdeh , A. , Rothenberger , P. , Nguyen , W. , Anbarasu , M. et al. Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 246 273 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0340
- Wang , Z. , Liu , H. , Song , T. , Xu , Y. et al. Investigation on Pre-ignition and Super-Knock in Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1212 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1212
- Qi , Y. , Xu , Y. , Wang , Z. , and Wang , J. The Effect of Oil Intrusion on Super Knock in Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1224 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1224
- Welling , O. , Moss , J. , Williams , J. , and Collings , N. Measuring the Impact of Engine Oils and Fuels on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Downsized Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 7 1 1 8 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1219
- Welling , O. , Collings , N. , Williams , J. , and Moss , J. Impact of Lubricant Composition on Low-speed Pre-Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1213 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1213
- Takeuchi , K. , Fujimoto , K. , Hirano , S. , and Yamashita , M. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 5 3 1017 1024 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1615
- Miyasaka , T. , Miura , K. , Hayakawa , N. , Ishino , T. et al. A Study on the Effect of a Calcium-Based Engine Oil Additive on Abnormal SI Engine Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 8 1 206 213 2015 10.4271/2014-32-0092
- Hayakawa , N. , Miura , K. , Miyasaka , T. , Ishino , T. et al. A Study on the Effect of Zn- and Mo-Based Engine Oil Additives on Abnormal SI Engine Combustion using In-Cylinder Combustion Visualization SAE Int. J. Engines 8 1 214 220 2015 10.4271/2014-32-0096
- General Administration of Quality Supervision Inspection and Quarantine, Standardization Administration of the People’s Republic of China GB/T 19055-2003, Reliability test methods for motor vehicle engines Beijing Standards Press of China 2003