This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Fuel Economy Improvement by Low Pressure Water-Cooled EGR System on a Downsized Boosted Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research was concerned with the use of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) improving the fuel economy over a wide operating range in a downsized boosted gasoline engine. The experiments were performed in a 1.3-Litre turbocharged PFI gasoline engine, equipped with a Low Pressure (LP) water-cooled EGR system. The operating conditions varied from 1500rpm to 4000rpm and BMEP from 2bar to 17bar. Meanwhile, the engine’s typical operating points in NEDC cycle were tested separately. The compression ratio was also changed from 9.5 to 10.5 to pursue a higher thermal efficiency. A pre-compressor throttle was used in the experiment working together with the EGR loop to keep enough EGR rate over a large area of the engine speed and load map. The results indicated that, combined with a higher compression ratio, the LP-EGR could help to reduce the BSFC by 9∼12% at high-load region and 3∼5% at low-load region. The fuel consumption reduction mechanisms were mainly attributed to heat loss reduction and lower pumping losses at low-to-moderate loads. During the high loads, the combustion phasing improvement combined with reducing fuel enrichment played a significant role to optimize the fuel efficiency, and the knock suppression effect was apparent.
|Technical Paper||Combustion Analysis on a Variable Valve Actuation Spark Ignition Engine Operating With E22 and E100|
|Journal Article||Fundamental Study of Waste Heat Recovery in the High Boosted 6-cylinder Heavy Duty Diesel Engine|
- Haifeng Lu - Tongji Univ.
- Jun Deng - Tongji Univ.
- Zongjie Hu - Tongji Univ.
- Zhijun Wu - Tongji Univ.
- Liguang Li - Tongji Univ.
- Fangen Yuan - Zhejiang Geely Powertrain Research Institute
- Degang Xie - Zhejiang Geely Powertrain Research Institute
- Shuang Yuan - Zhejiang Geely Powertrain Research Institute
- Yuan Shen - Zhejiang Geely Automobile Research Institute
CitationLu, H., Deng, J., Hu, Z., Wu, Z. et al., "Study on Fuel Economy Improvement by Low Pressure Water-Cooled EGR System on a Downsized Boosted Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0678, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0678.
- Kaul , B. , Finney , C. , Wagner , R. , and Edwards , M. Effects of External EGR Loop on Cycle-to-Cycle Dynamics of Dilute SI Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 606 614 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1236
- Diana , S. , Giglio , V. , Iorio , B. , and Police , G. A Strategy to Improve the Efficiency of Stoichiometric Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 961953 1996 10.4271/961953
- Grandin , B. , Ångström , H. , Stålhammar , P. , and Olofsson , E. Knock Suppression in a Turbocharged SI Engine by Using Cooled EGR SAE Technical Paper 982476 1998 10.4271/982476
- Lumsden , G. , Eddleston , D. , and Sykes , R. Comparing Lean Burn and EGR SAE Technical Paper 970505 1997 10.4271/970505
- Grandin , B. and Ångström , H. Replacing Fuel Enrichment in a Turbo Charged SI Engine: Lean Burn or Cooled EGR SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3505 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3505
- Duchaussoy , Y. , Lefebvre , A. , and Bonetto , R. Dilution Interest on Turbocharged SI Engine Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0629 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0629
- Alger , T. , Chauvet , T. , and Dimitrova , Z. Synergies between High EGR Operation and GDI Systems SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 101 114 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0134
- Kaiser , M. , Krueger , U. , Harris , R. , and Cruff , L. “Doing More with Less” - The Fuel Economy Benefits of Cooled EGR on a Direct Injected Spark Ignited Boosted Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0589 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0589
- Potteau , S. , Lutz , P. , Leroux , S. , Moroz , S. et al. Cooled EGR for a Turbo SI Engine to Reduce Knocking and Fuel Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3978 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3978
- Cairns , A. , Fraser , N. , and Blaxill , H. Pre Versus Post Compressor Supply of Cooled EGR for Full Load Fuel Economy in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0425 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0425
- Kumano , K. and Yamaoka , S. Analysis of Knocking Suppression Effect of Cooled EGR in Turbo-Charged Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1217 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1217
- Takaki , D. , Tsuchida , H. , Kobara , T. , Akagi , M. et al. Study of an EGR System for Downsizing Turbocharged Gasoline Engine to Improve Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1199 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1199
- Song , D. , Jia , N. , Guo , X. , Ma , X. et al. Low Pressure Cooled EGR for Improved Fuel Economy on a Turbocharged PFI Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1240 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1240
- Liu , Z. and Cleary , D. Fuel Consumption Evaluation of Cooled External EGR for a Downsized Boosted SIDI DICP Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1235 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1235
- Kawabata , Y. , Sakonji , T. , and Amano , T. The Effect of NOx on Knock in Spark-ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0572 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0572