This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of New High-Efficiency Kappa 1.6L GDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hyundai/Kia Motor Company will introduce new Kappa 1.6L GDI engine dedicated for hybrid vehicles, starting production for Korean market in the early 2016. It has achieved the challenging level of 40% maximum thermal efficiency as a gasoline engine. Even though it has the highest fuel efficiency, it can generate sufficient power to provide vehicle's dynamic driving performance.
The new Kappa 1.6L GDI engine has been developed focusing on the fuel efficiency. To maximize fuel efficiency, compact combustion chamber is designed with 1.35 stroke-bore ratio. And other key technologies such as Atkinson cycle with high compression ratio, cooled EGR system with high energy ignition coil and high tumble intake ports are applied.
The knock has been suppressed significantly to improve fuel efficiency by split cooling system with two thermostats and block insert, the piston cooling jet and the sodium-filled exhaust valve.
Friction of Kappa 1.6GDI engine is minimized by the two-stage pressure control oil pump, low viscosity engine oil and low friction coating on moving parts.
Also the OCV integrated CVVT has the faster response speed to cover the wider phasing angle of CVVT in Atkinson cycle.
Also, to meet SULEV emission regulation, the spray pattern of the laser drilled-injector is optimized for the combustion chamber consisting of high tumble and flat piston with 200 bar fuel pressure system.
- Kookjin Hwang - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Iljoong Hwang - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Hwangbok Lee - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Hyunil Park - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Hoyeon Choi - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Kwanwoo Lee - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Wootae Kim - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Heungchul Kim - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Bonghoon Han - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Jongsub Lee - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Bosung Shin - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
- Dongsuk Chae - Hyundai and Kia Corp.
CitationHwang, K., Hwang, I., Lee, H., Park, H. et al., "Development of New High-Efficiency Kappa 1.6L GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0667, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0667.
- Lee H. M.Sc. , Kim J. M.Sc. Hyundai-Kia's New 3-Cylinder 1.0L Turbo GDI Engine 2015 International Vienna Motor Symposium
- Baek , H. , Lee , S. , Han , D. , Kim , J. et al. Development of Valvetrain System to Improve Knock Characteristics for Gasoline Engine Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1639 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1639
- Dr. Han DongHee , Im Hyuk , Han SeungKook , Kim HongJip The Turbocharged Theta GDI Engine of Hyundai MTZ 10 2011 72
- Lee , S. and Shin , B. The Design and Development of New Hyundai Kappa 1.2L Dual CVVT Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0416 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0416
- Han , D. , Han , S. , Han , B. , and Kim , W. Development of 2.0L Turbocharged DISI Engine for Downsizing Application SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0259 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0259
- Lee Sunghoon , Gu Youngsam , Dr. Kim Taechung The New Hyundai-Kia 1.0 L three cylinder gasoline engine MTZ 06 2011 72
- Heisler Heinz Advance Automotive Technology SAE International 1995
- Swenson , Jr. ,and Wilcox Detonation Characteristcs and Related Combustion Phenomenon in Highly Turbulent Combustion Chamber 1963 MIT Press
- Heywood John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill International Editions