This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Electrical-Electronic Controls for a Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Delphi is developing a new combustion technology called Gasoline Direct-injection Compression Ignition (GDCI), which has shown promise for substantially improving fuel economy. This new technology is able to reuse some of the controls common to traditional spark ignition (SI) engines; however, it also requires several new sensors and actuators, some of which are not common to traditional SI engines. Since this is new technology development, the required hardware set has continued to evolve over the course of the project.
In order to support this development work, a highly capable and flexible electronic control system is necessary. Integrating all of the necessary functions into a single controller, or two, would require significant up-front controller hardware development, and would limit the adaptability of the electronic controls to the evolving requirements for GDCI. It is preferable to have a flexible electronic controls architecture that can support the addition, deletion and modification of sensors and/or actuators, and allow these changes to be made rapidly.
In addition to the necessary controls interface hardware, the project also requires the ability to rapidly develop, implement and test the algorithms necessary to control the combustion process. For that purpose, a Rapid Algorithm Development (RAD) environment was designed and utilized.
Delphi has implemented this electronic control system for both a start cart engine (described in more detail in later section) and on a demonstration vehicle to support the control algorithm development for the GDCI combustion process. This paper describes the philosophy, development and vehicle implementation of the GDCI engine electrical/electronic controls, including the vehicle adaptations required.
|Progress In Technology||Green Technologies and the Mobility Industry|
|Technical Paper||Hardware Implementation Details and Test Results for a High-Bandwith, Hydrostatic Transient Engine Dynamometer System|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Power Systems for Future Transport Aircraft|
CitationJohnson, D., Roth, G., Fedewa, A., Kraenzlein, J. et al., "Development of Electrical-Electronic Controls for a Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0614, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0614.
- Thring , R. Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines SAE Technical Paper 892068 1989 10.4271/892068
- Ryan , T. and Callahan , T. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 961160 1996 10.4271/961160
- Pucher , G. , Gardiner , D. , Bardon , M. , and Battista , V. Alternative Combustion Systems for Piston Engines Involving Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Concepts - A Review of Studies Using Methanol, Gasoline and Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 962063 1996 10.4271/962063
- (Bill) Gray ,, A. and Ryan ,, T. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 971676 1997 10.4271/971676
- Christensen , M. , Johansson , B. , and Einewall , P. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Isooctane, Ethanol and Natural Gas - A Comparison with Spark Ignition Operation SAE Technical Paper 972874 1997 10.4271/972874
- Curran , S. , Prikhodko , V. , Cho , K. , Sluder , C. et al. In-Cylinder Fuel Blending of Gasoline/Diesel for Improved Efficiency and Lowest Possible Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2206 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2206
- Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Barone , T. , Lewis , S. et al. Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Operating with In-Cylinder Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 946 955 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2266
- Splitter , D. , Reitz , R. , and Hanson , R. High Efficiency, Low Emissions RCCI Combustion by Use of a Fuel Additive SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 742 756 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2167
- Splitter , D. , Hanson , R. , Kokjohn , S. , and Reitz , R. Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Heavy-Duty Engine Operation at Mid-and High-Loads with Conventional and Alternative Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0363 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0363
- Hanson , R. , Kokjohn , S. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Fuel Effects on Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion at Low Load SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 394 411 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0361
- Lechner , G. , Jacobs , T. , Chryssakis , C. , Assanis , D. et al. Evaluation of a Narrow Spray Cone Angle, Advanced Injection Timing Strategy to Achieve Partially Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0167 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0167
- Sang , W. , and Cheng , W. , Maria , A. The Nature of Heat Release in Gasoline PPCI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1295 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1295
- Zhang , F. , Xu , H. , Zeraati Rezaei , S. , Kalghatgi , G. et al. Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a PPCI Engine Fuelled with Dieseline SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1138 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1138
- Sauter , J. , Lee , C. , Ra , Y. , and Reitz , R. Model Parameter Sensitivity of Mixing and UHC/CO Emissions in a PPCI, Low-Load Optical Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0844 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0844
- Kim , D. , Ekoto , I. , Colban , W. , and Miles , P. In-cylinder CO and UHC Imaging in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine during PPCI Low-Temperature Combustion SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 933 956 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1602
- Kalghatgi , G. Auto-Ignition Quality of Practical Fuels and Implications for Fuel Requirements of Future SI and HCCI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0239 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0239
- Viollet , Y. , Chang , J. , and Kalghatgi , G. Compression Ratio and Derived Cetane Number Effects on Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine Running with Naphtha Fuels SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 2 412 426 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1301
- Hildingsson , L. , Kalghatgi , G. , Tait , N. , Johansson , B. et al. Fuel Octane Effects in the Partially Premixed Combustion Regime in Compression Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2648 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2648
- Chang , J. , Kalghatgi , G. , Amer , A. , and Viollet , Y. Enabling High Efficiency Direct Injection Engine with Naphtha Fuel through Partially Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0677 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0677
- Chang , J. , Viollet , Y. , Amer , A. , and Kalghatgi , G. Fuel Economy Potential of Partially Premixed Compression Ignition (PPCI) Combustion with Naphtha Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2701 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2701
- Won , H. , Peters , N. , Pitsch , H. , Tait , N. et al. Partially Premixed Combustion of Gasoline Type Fuels Using Larger Size Nozzle and Higher Compression Ratio in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2539 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2539
- Kalghatgi , G. Fuel/Engine Interactions Warrendale SAE International 2013 10.4271/R-409
- Sellnau , M. , Sinnamon , J. , Hoyer , K. , and Husted , H. Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) - Diesel-like Efficiency with Low CO2 Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 2010 2022 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1386
- Sellnau , M. , Sinnamon , J. , Hoyer , K. , Kim , J. et al. Part-Load Operation of Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0272 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0272
- Sellnau , M. , Moore , W. , Sinnamon , J. , Hoyer , K. et al. GDCI Multi-Cylinder Engine for High Fuel Efficiency and Low Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 775 790 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0834
- Hoyer , K. , Sellnau , M. , Sinnamon , J. , and Husted , H. Boost System Development for Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression-Ignition (GDCI) SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 815 826 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0928
- Sellnau , M. , Foster , M. , Hoyer , K. , Moore , W. et al. Development of a Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 835 851 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1300
- Sellnau , M. , Sinnamon , J. , Hoyer , K. , and Husted , H. Full-Time Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) for High Efficiency and Low NOx and PM SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 300 314 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0384
- Cheever , Jr , G. , Sullivan , C. , Schten , K. , Punater , A. et al. Design of an Electric Variable CAM Phaser Controller SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5 2 403 413 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0433
- Schten , K. , Ripley , G. , Punater , A. , and Erickson , C. Design of an Automotive Grade Controller for In-Cylinder Pressure Based Engine Control Development SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0774 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0774
- Schten , K. , Ripley , G. , and Punater , A. Controller for Rapid Development of Advanced Mode Combustion Algorithms using Cylinder Pressure Feedback Convergence 2008
- Kraenzlein , J. and Roth , G. Protecting Development Engines during Controls Development and Calibration SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1172 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1172
- Guzzella , L. , Onder , C.H. Introduction to Modeling and Control of Internal Combustion Engine Systems Springer, Inc. 2004
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1988