This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimisation of Process Parameters of EDM on Al6082/SiC Metal Matrix Composite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present investigation AA6082/ SiC MMC composite is fabricated using electromagnetic stir casting technique. Silicon carbide (SiC) of 40 μm size is used as reinforcement and is varied by weight percentage as 0%, 2.5%, 5%, 7.5%, 10% in alloy AA6082. The microstructure of the fabricated composite is studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) which shows even distribution of the reinforcement. The mechanical properties improve with SiCp till 7.5%, after that the properties decreases which may be due to presence of porosity during the composite manufacturing. A comparative study of mechanical properties such as tensile strength, hardness and toughness has been done between the composite and base aluminium alloy. After the comparative study it was found that the composite having AA6082/SiC-92.5%/7.5% is best suited. So, it is used for optimization of Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) process parameters using Taguchi’s design of experiment. Process parameters of EDM are metal removal rate (MRR), surface roughness (SR) and tool wear rate. Using Taguchi’s parameter design, significant machining parameters affecting the performance measures are identified such as discharge current, and dielectric flushing pressure.L9 has been used to get optimal setting of control factors viz. current and dielectric flushing pressure for maximization of metal removal rate (MRR) and minimization of surface roughness (SR).The optimized value of MRR are 6 A current and 0.4 kg/cm2 flushing pressure as well as for the SR the optimized value are 4A current and 1.2 kg/cm2 flushing pressure.
|Technical Paper||Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Al-B 4 C Particulate Reinforced Composites Produced by Powder Metallurgy Method|
|Technical Paper||Development of P/M Titanium Engine Valves|
CitationPali, H., Kumar, N., and Singh, K., "Optimisation of Process Parameters of EDM on Al6082/SiC Metal Matrix Composite," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0533, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0533.
- Rajan T P.D. , Narayan Prabhu K , Pillai R M. , Pai B C. 2006 Solidification and casting/mould interfacial heat transfer characteristics of aluminum matrix composites Composites Science and Technology 67 70 78
- Borsellino C. , Di Bella G. , F. Ruisi V. 2008 Adhesive joining of aluminium AA6082: The effects of resin and surface treatment International Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives 29 36 44
- Yue-long BAI , Jun XU , Zhi-feng ZHANG , Li-kai SHI 2009 Annulus electromagnetic stirring for preparing semisolid A357 aluminum alloy slurry Transaction of non ferrous metals society of China 29 1104 1109
- Barman N. , Kumar P , Dutta P. 2009 Studies on transport phenomena during solidification of an aluminum alloy in the presence of linear electromagnetic stirring Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209 5912 5923
- Dwivedi Shashi Praksh , Singh S. , Pali Harveer Singh 2014 Macrostructure and Mechanical Properties of AA6082/SiC Composite Produced By Mechanical Stir Casting Process International Conference of Advance Research and Innovation 978-93-5156-328-0
- Singh Kausambi , Pali Harveer S. , Dwivedi S.P. 2013 Study of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of AA6082/7.5% SiC Composite Produced by Electromagnetic Stir Casting Process International Conference on Manufacturing Excellence (MANFEX 2013) 978-93-83083-17-6
- Yang Dingxia , Li Xiaoyan , He dingyoung , Nie zuoren , Huang Hui 2012 Optimization of weld bead geometry in laser welding with filler wire process using Taguchi’s approach Optics & Laser Technology 44 2020 2025
- George P.M. , Raghunath B.K. , Manochac L.M. , Warrier Ashish M. 2004 EDM machining of carbon-carbon composite-a Taguchi approach Journal of Materials Processing Technology 145 66 71
- Ashok Kumar Sahoo , Swastik Pradhan 2013 Modeling and optimization of Al/SiCp MMC machining using Taguchi approach Measurement 46 3064 3072
- Luis C.J. , Puertas I. , Villa G. 2005 Material removal rate and electrode wear study on the EDM of silicon carbide Journal of Materials Processing Technology 164-165 889 89
- Shahrom Mohamad Syahmi , Yahya Nafrizuan Mat and Yusoff Ahmad Razlan 2013 Taguchi Method Approach on Effect of Lubrication Condition on Surface Roughness in Milling Operation Procedia Engineering 53 594 599