This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study on Static and Fatigue Strengths of Resistance Spot Welds with Stack-up of Advanced High Strength Steels and Adhesive
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes static and fatigue behavior of resistance spot welds with the stack-up of conventional mild and advanced high strength steels, with and without adhesive, based on a set of lap shear and coach peel coupon tests. The coupons were fabricated following specified spot welding and adhesive schedules. The effects of similar and dissimilar steel grade sheet combinations in the joint configuration have been taken into account. Tensile strength of the steels used for the coupons, both as-received and after baked, and cross-section microstructure photographs are included. The spot weld SN relations between this study and the study by Auto/Steel Partnership are compared and discussed.
CitationGuo, M., Bhandarkar, R., Zhang, W., Chen, G. et al., "An Experimental Study on Static and Fatigue Strengths of Resistance Spot Welds with Stack-up of Advanced High Strength Steels and Adhesive," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0389, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0389.
- Bonnen, J., Agrawal, H., Amaya, M., Iyengar, R. et al., "Fatigue of Advanced High Strength Steel Spot-Welds," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0978, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0978.
- Mohan Iyengar, R., Laxman, S., Amaya, M., Citrin, K. et al., "Influence of Geometric Parameters and Their Variability on Fatigue Resistance of Spot-Weld Joints," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 1(1):299-316, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0698.
- Rathbun, R. W., Matlock, D. K., Speer, J. G., “Fatigue Behavior of Spot Welded High-Strength Sheet Steels”, Welding Journal, 2003 August: 207-217.
- Link, T. M., “tensile-Shear Spot Weld Fatigue Behavior of High Strength Steels”, United States Steel Research”, 45th Mechanical Working and Steel Processing (MWSP) Conference Proceedings, Vol. XLI, 2003.
- Chen, G., Guo, M., and Zhang, W., "Fatigue Based Lightweight Optimization of a Pickup Cargo Box with Advanced High Strength Steels," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7(3):545-552, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0913.
- Vanimisetti, S. K., Sigler, D. R., “Improving Fatigue Performance of Spot Welds in Advanced High-Strength Steels”, Welding Journal, 93(2014): 153-161.
- Rupp, A., Störzel, K., and Grubisic, V., "Computer Aided Dimensioning of Spot-Welded Automotive Structures," SAE Technical Paper 950711, 1995, doi:10.4271/950711.
- Kang, H., Khosrovaneh, A., Su, X., Lee, Y. et al., "A Fatigue Life Prediction Method of Laser Assisted Self-Piercing Rivet Joint for Magnesium Alloys," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 8(3):789-794, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0537.
- Hong, J., "The Development of a Simplified Spot Weld Model for Battelle Structural Stress Calculation," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 4(1):602-612, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0479.
- Hong, J., "Fatigue Evaluation Procedure Development for Aluminum Alloy Spot Welds Using the Battelle Structural Stress Method," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0545, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0545.